Second New DVD that will not play

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer - DVD RW - internal - 5.25" - IDE. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have recently installed a new Pioneer DVD-191LS which is having a problem. It will burn both CDs and DVDs, that then work on other players, and it will read DVDs that contain plain old files,The test was on word files. But it will not play back either a music CD or a Video DVD.

It is a IDE device. The DVD is the Master and the CD is the slave. The Hard Drive is on its own IDE Controller.

This is the second drive I tried, a TSST Corp Sh-5 222a, and it show the same problem.

The Pioneer Tec said that the cable was not the problem based on these facts and his thought was I had a bad drive. He did not know this was my second try.

I am running XP SP3 and I am burning with Nero 6.

Anything else you would like to know I will do my best to provide.

Thanks for your help

Charley Davidson

But it will not play back either a music CD or a Video DVD.

Try with VLC and MediaplayerCLASSIC.

@ Charley_Davidson,

Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps you have a Codec problem. Suggest trying the K-Lite Mega Codec pack which contains all the necessary Video/Audio Codecs to play Video/Audio files plus the Media Player Classic >

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_Mega_codec_pack_download.htm

Regards,
bjkg

I shall post my SH-222A issues here.

I recently bought one of these and thought of burning a double layer dvd with a concert I own.

I tried to play the dvd on my Philips LX3600D home cinema and it won’t play. The dvd plays just fine on my pc.

Who’s to blame here? The disc(it is a quality media) or the dvd player(Philips)? It’s quite old, I know.

Blame the media unless its VERBATIM DL.

Blame the media unless its VERBATIM DL.

In fact it is a VERBATIM DL disc. I know that fakes do exist, so I might’ve bought one of those crap discs.

DVD Identifier shows this:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:MKM-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I know that Mitsubishi Kagaku manufactures pretty decent media, so I won’t blame the media just yet, but as I said it could be a fake.

I use Ritek DVD’s and after over 700 DVD’s backed up using DVD Fab I have had only 3 DVD’s with playback problems. These were due to a USB conecction problem.

@ roadking2003,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please do not suggest that Ritek Media is viable alternative to Verbatim Media.

Concerning your Ritek Media comments ->

Suggest performing a Google Search (http://www.google.com) concerning Ritek Media. It is a well-documented Fact that Ritek Media is plagued with reflectivity degradation and layer break problems. Experienced informed knowledgeable users avoid the use of Ritek Media.

If you perform Disk Quality Scans of your Burned Ritek Media you will find that that your Ritek Media produces less than desirable results.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=kukubau;2228910]In fact it is a VERBATIM DL disc. I know that fakes do exist, so I might’ve bought one of those crap discs.
[/QUOTE]

You could have posted that in your first post.

What is the media Made In …?

What is the media Made In …?

I wish I knew.

I bought just one disc not a whole box.

Some codes are written on the disc:

ZE2417-DVR-X85IC - on the disc’s face outer ring

ZE2305-DVR-X8508 - on the writable surface’s outer ring

There is something written on the inner ring but it’s hard to read.

+RC EB C4 15588 8283 804

Could it be that the disc’s layer break is not where it should be or probably there are some dvd navigation problems?!? Personally I doubt that, as the disc plays perfectly in my SH-222A DVD-RW

@ kukubau,

Please definitively identify the ‘Made In’ information. The package that the Media was packaged in will have the County of origin ‘Made In’ information printed on the package (Example: Made In Singapore / Made In Taiwan / Made In India).

Regards.
bjkg

As I said, I bought just one disc. It comes from a bulk package. No “Made in…” information what-so-ever.

What should I avoid in the future? Made in India?

I think this is the last time I burn a DL video disc. I will test the disc in another standalone dvd player to see if it runs ok. If it does, then I’ll know what to throw away next.