Seasonic 850W Gold PSU 99.99

vbimport

[850W

](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL050713&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL050713--EMC-050713-Index--PowerSupplies-_-17151102-L09A)
SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified$209.99
Your Price: $119.99
With Promo Code

EMCXRXN46

$99.99 After $20.00 MIR

This is a great deal. I have the 650W version of this PSU and it is absolutely rock solid. The cables are all nicely sleeved and long enough for most systems. And since its modular you only need to connect the cables you need. It is also pretty quiet. I have it in a system that I run 24/7 with the side panel off and I don’t hear any noise from it. This deal only happens about once every 2 months, so snag it now!

Yo-

[B]Be VERY careful!![/B]

If you read the ratings - out of [B]77[/B] ratings [B]12[/B] said they either had a [B]DOA or dead unit[/B] within the first few months - that’s [B]over 15.5% failure rate [/B]folks!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2687112]Yo-

[B]Be VERY careful!![/B]

If you read the ratings - out of [B]77[/B] ratings [B]12[/B] said they either had a [B]DOA or dead unit[/B] within the first few months - that’s [B]over 15.5% failure rate [/B]folks!![/QUOTE]

Scratching my head at this. I hadn’t read of that many DOA’s from Seasonic, especially the X series. Oddly enough, it seems that most of the DOA’s were purchased in 2013. I wonder if they had a bad production run(s). I bought my X650 back in September.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2687154]Scratching my head at this. I hadn’t read of that many DOA’s from Seasonic, especially the X series. Oddly enough, it seems that most of the DOA’s were purchased in 2013. I wonder if they had a bad production run(s). I bought my X650 back in September.[/QUOTE]
I have had Seasonic PSUs for ages and never one died on me.:disagree: I just bought the 1000W Platinum.

Yeah this is still puzzling. I went through the Amazon reviews for the Corsair AX850, which if memory serves, uses Seasonic parts. I saw some but not many DOA’s in the lower 1-2 star rankings.

I wonder if its small selection size, Newegg’s shipping people, or a production run problem?

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2687163]Yeah this is still puzzling. I went through the Amazon reviews for the Corsair AX850, which if memory serves, uses Seasonic parts. I saw some but not many DOA’s in the lower 1-2 star rankings.

I wonder if its small selection size, Newegg’s shipping people, or a production run problem?[/QUOTE]
Yo for 99.99 bucks and a 5 year warrantee you cant beat this deal.:wink:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2687112]Yo-

[B]Be VERY careful!![/B]

If you read the ratings - out of [B]77[/B] ratings [B]12[/B] said they either had a [B]DOA or dead unit[/B] within the first few months - that’s [B]over 15.5% failure rate [/B]folks!![/QUOTE]

When companies do a big discount like this most of the time they received some bad parts from a vendor and did not discover it till after they were boxed and shipped. Sometimes it is cheaper to sell them and replace the bad ones than it is to recall ALL of them. In short we the consumer become the QA tester, just hope nobody fry’s their equipment.

[QUOTE=mrloren;2687208]When companies do a big discount like this most of the time they received some bad parts from a vendor and did not discover it till after they were boxed and shipped. Sometimes it is cheaper to sell them and replace the bad ones than it is to recall ALL of them. In short we the consumer become the QA tester, just hope nobody fry’s their equipment.[/QUOTE]

I’d believe that about companies with a higher fail rate and questionable build quality like OCZ, but Seasonic has always been top notch.

Also this same deal has popped up about once every 2-3 months since I started looking for PSU’s last year. So unless they started having problems in mid summer 2012, I doubt your theory applies.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2687209]I’d believe that about companies with a higher fail rate and questionable build quality like OCZ, but Seasonic has always been top notch.

Also this same deal has popped up about once every 2-3 months since I started looking for PSU’s last year. So unless they started having problems in mid summer 2012, I doubt your theory applies.[/QUOTE]

Yo Jim-

I take some issue with your “Top Notch” comment - again if you read the comments about your X650 there are dozens of complaints about ‘coil whine’ apparently emitting a really high pitch whine - and most of them are fairly recent.

Every single product remains a crap-shoot, and it’s a lie to advocate that a sale item is a bad product.

Big box warehouse retailers operate far more on Rebate Profits than profit-margins from any single-item sold.

NewEgg is exactly the same - “Get 10% rebate if you sell 1,000 items in 30 days, get only 5% if you only sell 500…” Gee - which option to you think they’d push for?!!

They’re after the rebates. They’re after mass sales in shorter periods of time. Every basic business class will teach that higher warehouse turnover of products is better for business and profits. A little outfit like NewEgg is just that - LITTLE. There’s a huge backside supporting them - NewEgg gets cleared-off shelves, then they take product from THEIR distributors. And those giant warehouse distributors empty their shelves and take more from shippers. And the shippers empty their cargo bays and take more from the native-land distributors, who eventually re-stock the original manufacturer’s garage shelves. NewEgg is a small cog in this. They’re after time-based rebates.

In such a finite and competitive sales world as Power Supplies, a company like Seasonic (who are fronting such a small focused product-line) simply couldn’t afford to produce a batch of thousands of ‘bad products’. And IF THEY DID, they’d want to know and solve it, rather than distribute those ‘bad units’ among tongue-wagging forum-writers, especially those with a tendency to cite 4-year-old websites as ‘evidence’ when even their own forums discredit later!

You want to know what drives this next month sales? It’s NOT bad products. It’s rebates. And it’s the coming of some hot, new product line that makes everything APPEAR old, obsolete and worthy of having more snipping of extremities.

It’s far more telling to the smart observer that we see product-sales come and go, every few weeks or every few months. “If you don’t get it now, wait and get it next time.”

I still say my Seasonics PSUs have gone through hell and back and I never had an issue with one, I have a Brand New 1000W Seasonic Platinum sitting on my bench for my Haswell build and it has a 5 year warrantee so either way I am covered, I got it cheap and (149.00) and it a top of the line PSU.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2687274]I still say my Seasonics PSUs have gone through hell and back and I never had an issue with one, I have a Brand New 1000W Seasonic Platinum sitting on my bench for my Haswell build and it has a 5 year warrantee so either way I am covered, I got it cheap and (149.00) and it a top of the line PSU.;)[/QUOTE]

Yo Alan-

Well - I certainly hope that you got a good one 'cause there are [B][I]68[/I][/B] total reviews for your Platinum-1000 on Newegg and [B][I]15[/I][/B] B[/B] have issues with DOA - early death and extreme coil whine. IMO - 22% is a really high margin of error for a componant as critical as a PSU.

(btw - both SeaSonic and Newegg say that the warranty is [B][I]7[/I][/B] years - not the [B][I]5[/I][/B] you indicate)

Historically, Seasonic PSU, and especially the X series, has been considered a top notch. Just read the reviews out of Johnny Guru or any number of other tech sites that have reviewed them.

On the flip side of the Newegg reviews of the 1000W Platinum Seasonic, there are zero 1 and 2 star reviews out of 20 reviews on Amazon for the same unit. 19/20 are 5 stars, 1 is 4 stars.

I’m curious which PSU that you would recommend Mike.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2687319]Historically, Seasonic PSU, and especially the X series, has been considered a top notch. Just read the reviews out of Johnny Guru or any number of other tech sites that have reviewed them.

On the flip side of the Newegg reviews of the 1000W Platinum Seasonic, there are zero 1 and 2 star reviews out of 20 reviews on Amazon for the same unit. 19/20 are 5 stars, 1 is 4 stars.

I’m curious which PSU that you would recommend Mike.[/QUOTE]

Yo Jim-

Remember - 'tis I who helped you select your X-650 back in the day. We were looking for a PSU with a good reputation and stellar user ratings - and if I remember correctly - your SeaSonic X-650 had no reported DOA’s or early failures at that time - and that with the discounted price was our decision factor. So to answer your question - my recommendation would be based on a specific need at the time. I have always encouraged anyone to look at all the ratings at Newegg, Amazon, Tom’s Hardware etc to help in making a decision.

[I]“On the flip side of the Newegg reviews of the 1000W Platinum Seasonic, there are zero 1 and 2 star reviews out of 20 reviews on Amazon for the same unit. 19/20 are 5 stars, 1 is 4 stars.”[/I]

Seems to me that this would reinforce mrlorens hypothesis that Newegg might be unloading a bad batch onto the customers-eh!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2687298]Yo Alan-

Well - I certainly hope that you got a good one 'cause there are [B][I]68[/I][/B] total reviews for your Platinum-1000 on Newegg and [B][I]15[/I][/B] B[/B] have issues with DOA - early death and extreme coil whine. IMO - 22% is a really high margin of error for a componant as critical as a PSU.

(btw - both SeaSonic and Newegg say that the warranty is [B][I]7[/I][/B] years - not the [B][I]5[/I][/B] you indicate)[/QUOTE]
You are correct about the warrantee, better for me, 7 years is certainly better than 5, so I am good to go. I have tested this unit on my workbench for 5 weeks now, running non stop, just to make sure it was not DOA and it seem to be fine. You might be right about the Egg unloading some bad unit also, it certainly is not indicative of Seasonics PSUs in general to have bad units.

I have a Cooler Master Black Widow that is 850 also and the reviews were about the same as this one too, BUT mine at least worked perfectly out of the box and I have a very power hungry old 4870x2 video card. Things runs cool, voltages are stable, and it quiet. Been in service at least 2 years now and not a hickup. It is made by one of the lesser manufacturers so was always kind of a crap shoot what you’d get but I think most users ended up OK and it also as a 5 year warranty.
I’d take a chance if it was me and I needed another one. I think Seasonic at least has a better warranty program and treats problems quickly anyways but I haven’t had to use my warranty yet and doubt I will have to. Pretty sure with most products they either are DOA or fail right away if there is a defect so if it makes it a week or so your probably OK