Searching for some decent BD-Rs

vbimport

Hello, after plunging into the BD-R scene after being a massive CD-R and DVD-R user, I have noticed some things are still the same as usual.

-Ritek are still iffy
-Blank media is still a real headache as MID is NEVER what’s on the Label
-I need the forums as usual to decipher which MID and brands are good!

I recently purchased 50 TDKs - These were CMCMAGBA3 and worked very nice! Good scans too. The were all very clean with no dust on any of the discs. They reeked of high quality despite the CMC code.

I found some more but even cheaper, this time I got Ritek BR2 bombed and don’t like what I’m reading on the forums about them.

My question(s)

JVC media - Is it reliable to get a certain MID and are they good?
Sony media - Is it likely to be made by Sony and half decent?
I’m in australia, can anyone recommend good blu rays that are under $2 per disc?

:bow:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2630752]Hello, after plunging into the BD-R scene after being a massive CD-R and DVD-R user, I have noticed some things are still the same as usual.

-Ritek are still iffy
-Blank media is still a real headache as MID is NEVER what’s on the Label
-I need the forums as usual to decipher which MID and brands are good!

I recently purchased 50 TDKs - These were CMCMAGBA3 and worked very nice! Good scans too. The were all very clean with no dust on any of the discs. They reeked of high quality despite the CMC code.

I found some more but even cheaper, this time I got Ritek BR2 bombed and don’t like what I’m reading on the forums about them.

My question(s)

JVC media - Is it reliable to get a certain MID and are they good?
Sony media - Is it likely to be made by Sony and half decent?
I’m in australia, can anyone recommend good blu rays that are under $2 per disc?

:bow:[/QUOTE]
Could you post a link or two to Aussie sellers that you prefer to buy from? Are you looking for printable, labeled?

In answer to your question, I’m told that Sony can be Ritek. Sony NN3 6x have been good media. I just learned that the JVC non-LTH 4x 25GB BD-R’s are CMCMAGBA3. Don’t know if they will be consistent with this. Hardly a great deal at the $2.50 each current price.

Damn, there’s not much cheap media I can find online. Most sellers want $150 for a 50 pack of Verbatim…

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2630784]I’m told that Sony can be Ritek. Sony NN3 6x have been good media. I just learned that the JVC non-LTH 4x 25GB BD-R’s are CMCMAGBA3.[/QUOTE]

Sony BD-R25 6x Made in Taiwan are probably made by Ritek, but the quality is still good and comparable to those Made in Japan.

I bought from Japan (ebay.com, look for BD-R25 or BD-R DL) JVC BD-R25 4x [B]HTL[/B] in a 25 or 30 spindle, TDK BD-R25 4x and HP BD-R 25 4x in 50 spindles, they were CMCMAG BA3, the quality was decent.

Panasonic BD-R25 4x and 6x are good media anyway, Falcon media, labelled as Smartblu for example, too.

If you want to try BD-R 50GB, I would recommend Verbatim BD-R50 or TDK BD-R50 4x.

I can’t risk anything Ritek, the burn quality of my RitekBR2 is ok, I’m just not trusting it to last.

Ritek G05 DVD-R used to burn amazingly good and had awesome readability, but then you wait a few months and they were unreadable. I lost almost 200 DVDs because of Ritek and their rubbish standards. I’m seeing some of this happening to people with Ritek BD-Rs too. I don’t want to burn off data, delete from my HDD and then have the crappy Riteks become unreadable in a year.

Any brand that could be a Ritek, is blacklisted IMO :stuck_out_tongue:
Btw, I have bought from Ebay too. Would love to somehow find some Smartblu BD-Rs. Where do you get yours, katarine?

[QUOTE=katraine;2630865]Sony BD-R25 6x Made in Taiwan are probably made by Ritek, but the quality is still good and comparable to those Made in Japan.

I bought from Japan (ebay.com, look for BD-R25 or BD-R DL) JVC BD-R25 4x [B]HTL[/B] in a 25 or 30 spindle, TDK BD-R25 4x and HP BD-R 25 4x in 50 spindles, they were CMCMAG BA3, the quality was decent.

Panasonic BD-R25 4x and 6x are good media anyway, Falcon media, labelled as Smartblu for example, too.

If you want to try BD-R 50GB, I would recommend Verbatim BD-R50 or TDK BD-R50 4x.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have heard that Sony 4x 25GB BD-R are Ritek MID discs now? Have you found if 4x Hi-disc such as these are consistently INFOMER30’s these days? The ones I have received have been burning very good, better than anything else made in Taiwan that I have tried.

Deanwitty, on ebay I found some the same. Tempted to try some… http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Hi-disc-Blu-ray-25GB-4x-blank-BD-R-Spindle-blu-ray-/170621675208?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item27b9d826c8

I can get 50 for $56 since the Australian dollar is better than US right now. Very tempting. In your experience are these always INFOMER30’s?

There’s also Panasonic: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30-Panasonic-bluray-disc-Japan-Original-MID-code-25GB-blu-ray-dvd-4X-blueray-/150701185067?pt=Blank_Media&hash=item23167d982b

If it’s truly a MIJ MID then I wonder if it’s worth forking out the money and getting some?

Mh, they say "* Panasonic Original Brand new [B]sealed discs[/B].

• 30 discs. and showing a 25pieces package…???

[QUOTE=chef;2631068]Mh, they say "* Panasonic Original Brand new [B]sealed discs[/B].

• 30 discs. and showing a 25pieces package…???[/QUOTE]

:disagree: It says 25GB on the package and 30 discs.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2630896]Deanwitty, on ebay I found some the same. Tempted to try some… http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Hi-disc-Blu-ray-25GB-4x-blank-BD-R-Spindle-blu-ray-/170621675208?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item27b9d826c8

I can get 50 for $56 since the Australian dollar is better than US right now. Very tempting. In your experience are these always INFOMER30’s?[/QUOTE]

I can’t say yet if HiDisc is only sourcing their 4x from Infomedia yet. Sorry. I will continue to try to find a helpful contact at these companies. You may want to order a smaller quantity to check them out and add to our community effort to find the good stuff :). My orders of the 4x have been only Infomedias, and good ones. The burn quality has really piqued my interest, I’ve ordered more from US sellers to try to learn if they are selling different grades under different brands. There is abundant evidence that Panasonics are among the few safe bets :iagree:.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2631081]:disagree: It says 25GB on the package and 30 discs.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, at least one has spotted the mistake. :wink:

I feel for you TS.

I have allso burned over 2000 dvds since I got a burner and discs, back in the day. I am moving over to BD-R soon, and have allways used pioneer burners (and at slow speeds). Been using verbatim and maxell from the start. I have now read back over 500 dics and I got no errors at all. Amazing as these discs are now old. And they still work. I started on 4x pioneer dvd burner. So I say the discs are 10 years or more.

Anyway the DVD standard, discs and so on can handle more in terms bad plants pushing out bad media and it would still work. I allways trusted verbatim and maxell for dvd media. With BD-R not so much and I allso turned to this forum for help.

The problem is that most places that sell BD-media don’t give you they TRUE place (or company) that made them, they just go on the name of the box. Whatever that is. So you don’t know what you are getting when you buy media. Now verbatim might not be bad and so on, but the problem is a lot of BD-media is way to expencive.

From what I can tell (information on this forum) and reading up on bluray is that the only TRUE media you can trust, is panasonic and falcon. They don’t outsorce their NAME onto other cheap brands or discs so they can’t use the name whan pushing out cheap media. Maxell and TDK don’t make any discs any more (not BD anyway) so that brand can be anything in the box.

Panasonic is not to hard to get hold of compared to falcon, and price is not to bad, better quality and cheaper price than verbatim. At least panasonic give you high quality and you can trust it’s true. There might be places in AU that has them for a great price. Otherwise I would get the media off e-bay from japan. You will get a better price if you buy like 25 or 50pcs cakeboxes. Cheaper per disc.

I cannot recommend SONY BD-R25 6x (SONY NN3 (002)) Made in Taiwan (by RITEK?) any more, scans from the last spindle looked bad beyond 17,5 GB, burned with 6x on LiteOn iHBS112 (1.) and with 8x on Pioneer BDR205 (2.)

Looks like quality is going downhill with falling prices.:sad:

1. http://club.myce.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=239363&stc=1&d=1337536824

2. http://club.myce.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=239364&stc=1&d=1337536837

Dennis, I agree with the DVD days. It was so good, there were tons of brands that were good quality, cheap and long lasting.

It seems BDR is very simple. Panasonic as you mentioned, Verbatim and Falcon. I might try some Panasonic soon. At the moment done a dozen or so burns on my crappy Riteks and am playing the waiting game to see if they degrade :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]cd pirate[/B] well. Real panasonic are the best from the information I have been gathering here on the forums. You can get them for a nice price to. So they are not the most expencive ones. Real falcons are good to, hard to get hold of.

Ritek might get better but then you have to get the nex BR3 or newer, the BR1 and BR2 where not good. Even so, it has always been a chep brad.

I don’t trust anything other then panasonic. WAY to many third party discs out there, that have licenced the use of say, TDK name and so on. It is messy indeed.

On the bright side, as harddrive storge have gone up, you can keep it for longer on the harddrive and burn it later if you feel like saving it. This was harder back in the day of DVDs as they don’t hold that much data compared to how big harddrives where back then.

Thanks Dennis. Deanwitty sent me some Falcons/Panasonic and INFOMER30 also. Turns out the Panasonic 6x discs work amazingly well and are currently the only guaranteed BD-R for me (unike TDK who use Ritek).

I’m looking at TY DL BD-R, which also seem like a 100% TDK MID and high quality. The price of the DL per GB is actually beating the SL Panasonics on ebay so I am thinking to try some soon!

There was a guy on ebay for a while selling TDK BD-R’s in a 10 pack (in slim jewel cases) for about $25.
I never had any problems with any of the discs I bought from him and I bout about 40 of em before his ebay store disappeared.

I like verbatim best as they have been reliable for a long long time and the aqua ace coating if better to me than the Taiyo Yuden / JVC gloss coating. I also find the Taiyo Yuden / JVC Print Plus matte to be very bad for a coating. I would rather get standard Verbatim ink jet printable even with the less than accurate color results after print.

I think Verbatim is a media you can buy with no worries and is worth the cost for me, historically.