Searching for Audio Analysis software

Ok. First of all, I’m not so clueless that I don’t know what I need… I just don’t know where to find it.

I’m having a problem with my music collection. I store all of my music in MP3 format, and in the five years since I started using a computer for my music some of those files have become corrupted. The MP3 static is so obvious when I listen to those files, and yet I can’t find any software that can detect it. All the mp3 checking/fixing/testing software that I can find seems only to detect problems relating to internal data structures of the mp3 headers or sync errors in the stream… junk data… things like that… Does anyone know of any software that can analyze the sound of the file itself, and search for unusual peaks or static-like noise? I really need something like that to find all of the bad mp3s.

Where are you storing these mp3 files? If it’s on your hard drive then they don’t magically get corrupted. If you’re putting them on CD/DVD, then the media is failing. Tell us what programs you have used to eliminate suggesting something you’ve already tried.

Yeah, I know… There’s really nothing magic about it. I’ve had quite a few data loss incidents. At one point they were on a very faulty hard disk. The reason that non of my mp3s have structure problems is that I used a Foobar2000 function called “rebuild mp3 stream” to repair my files… which, in retrospect, was a mistake, because now all the files look good in a structural sort of way, but not all of them sound good because some of them have bad data.

One popular freeware program is Audacity, http://audacity.sourceforge.net/, but I don’t know if it has the ability to do the kind of repair you need. It has the basic click removal and some plugins that might help. You might have to use a commercial program and I really don’t have one to suggest. Maybe someone more familiar with mp3 editing will post. This might turn out to be a long and tedious process for you. Is there no way to start from scratch and rebuild your mp3 library from the source material?

Well I could rebuild it from source material… But that would be a lot of effort… Probably hundreds of hours of work… And a lot of that stuff was from CDs that I only borrowed from friends, who I don’t know anymore. Anyway… it’s not worth the effort. If there was an easier way though… I already use audacity and like it a lot. I’ve used audacity to look at some of the errors in my Mp3 files before, but I can’t think of any way to get audacity to detect these kinds of errors… I think I’ll need some other kind of software.

I just remembered another freeware app, Sox, http://sox.sourceforge.net/, which has a little more horsepower than Audacity. You can play around with it and see what it has to offer, but I’m still thinking you will need a commercial application.