Searching for a Samsung compatible optical drive, maybe Sony AD-7590A?

I have a Samsung laptop mfg’d (sold) by a defunct computer company. As best as I can tell, it’s Samsung model # is NP-P55. The drive being replaced is a Sony DW-G520A, IDE. I purchased and am returning a Sony AD-7581A because it wasn’t set to master and I wasn’t able to figure out how to change it from CS to master. I see a Sony AD-7590A for a good price, but need to be certain it will work in my laptop. I’m not stuck on Sony, just had good luck in the past. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

RJ_Bigs

I don’t know why the AD-7581A wouldn’t work in CS mode instead of master. What kind of problems were you having with it?

My BIOS, Phoenix FirstBIOS Notebook Pro v2.0 01XN, did not see it as connected to the IDE port… It did show it as a possible boot device and I was able to boot my Win7 install disk. Consequently Win7 was not able to see it either. The AD7581A appeared to be set up for an HP (?) as it had rails and a connector conversion PCB that I had to remove to access the std IDE connector on the rear of the drive. I’d love to use it as it will cost me $9 to ship it back and a return to stock fee too… I’d be happy, so happy, if I could get it to wrok… ;o)

RJ_Bigs

Hi,

unlike the 7581A, which is a recycled QSI drive, the 7590 is “real” NEC/Optiarc stuff.
The problem with many slim P-ATA drives is the preconfiguration as Master/Slave/2different CS flavours. This must fit to the demands of your own laptop.

Michael

Thanks Michael. Can you say whether the 7590A is or can be configured as Master? I really need to get my notebook back up and running/burning…

RJ _Bigs

Looks good, Optiarc has a tool for that job: http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/tools/masterslave.html

This tool is only required, if your drive comes with “wrong” configuration. This seems to be the case with OEM drives that were intended to be installed in laptops from certain manufacturers.

Michael

Michael,
Thanks again for the ray of hope! I was wishing that I could somehow “fix” the 7581A, but now I am content with returning it and purchasing the 7590A. Thanks also for the tool. Hopefully it won’t be needed but it’s really nice to know it’s available if so.

Sincerely,
RJ_Bigs

[QUOTE=RJ_Bigs;2571365]I have a Samsung laptop mfg’d (sold) by a defunct computer company. As best as I can tell, it’s Samsung model # is NP-P55. The drive being replaced is a Sony DW-G520A, IDE. I purchased and am returning a Sony AD-7581A because it wasn’t set to master and I wasn’t able to figure out how to change it from CS to master. I see a Sony AD-7590A for a good price, but need to be certain it will work in my laptop. I’m not stuck on Sony, just had good luck in the past. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

RJ_Bigs[/QUOTE]

I can say for sure it should work just make sure you keep all the original connectors that held the original drive. I have a D830 and all I did was pop the face plate off and unscrew the old drive out and keep the back connector and connected to the new IDE 7590 drive and screwed the drive in and hooked it back up and the comptuer read it just like is was the original drive would be. I can say as long as the drive is IDE as the old one it will work. Just remember some drive have a extra connector and that is the part you must not loose but keep to hookup the new drive to make it fit and work. I do know on my E1505 all I did was same process and screwed back in but instead I just pushed it back into the drive and the connectors hooked right up to the IDE in the laptop and worked just as it would. All I did was change both face plate with the original face plate and you wouldn’t even know it was a different drive. But do go with the Sony 7590 drive that is a good DL burner drive as well cause I used it for that as well.

Hi coolcolors,
Thanks for your input! Good, sound, advice all! Luckily, all I’ll need to transfer will be a small bracket to secure the drive into the chassis… It’s surely a big comfort to hear all the high regards for the 7590A drive. I wish I’d picked it first…:doh: I think it’ll be an awesome drive for me. While I’ve owned many PC’s, built most myself, all by myself, this, my first laptop, has forced me to seek advice from others… I have to say that this group is very kind and so willing to help. I’m SO glad I found you all… This ODD matter had me tugging the hair from my head! I’m feeling much better now!

Best regards!
RJ_Bigs

[QUOTE=RJ_Bigs;2571580]Hi coolcolors,
Thanks for your input! Good, sound, advice all! Luckily, all I’ll need to transfer will be a small bracket to secure the drive into the chassis… It’s surely a big comfort to hear all the high regards for the 7590A drive. I wish I’d picked it first…:doh: I think it’ll be an awesome drive for me. While I’ve owned many PC’s, built most myself, all by myself, this, my first laptop, has forced me to seek advice from others… I have to say that this group is very kind and so willing to help. I’m SO glad I found you all… This ODD matter had me tugging the hair from my head! I’m feeling much better now!

Best regards!
RJ_Bigs[/QUOTE]

Trust me I was not sure at first when I was replacing my old dvd-rom drive with a dvd DL burner both IDE to IDE. I wasn’t sure if it would work and not til I finally took it out and checked connections and then see that it was the same and it was the extra connectors that the laptop manufacture have that was the challenge to figure out how to make the connections.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2571639]Trust me I was not sure at first when I was replacing my old dvd-rom drive with a dvd DL burner both IDE to IDE. I wasn’t sure if it would work and not til I finally took it out and checked connections and then see that it was the same and it was the extra connectors that the laptop manufacture have that was the challenge to figure out how to make the connections.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for making me better by sharing the difficulties you experienced. I was taken by surprise when the 7581 came out of the box with a 68 pin connector that looked like an ultra SCSI connector. Eventually I realized that the 7581 had a conversion PCB, that once removed, revealed the IDE connector that was on my old drive. It also had rails.They kind of hid the fact that it had the connector converter. Now I’m glad it didn’t work, the 7590 will be SO much better…

RJ_Bigs

NP, glad you were able to get it to work. Just remember the newer laptop optical drives are now sata so the only really good drive is the sony 7590 that comes in IDE only now. It just takes some work to take it out and unscrew the old drive and replace with the 7590 but it does bring new life into the laptop. :iagree: