Seamless CD backup

vbimport

What is the preferred and recommended way of backing up
a couple of Gig of data using a CD burner ?

For instance, let's day you have 3 gig of data in a directory
(including all the children directories), are there any existing software tools smart enough to copy to CD untill it reaches
the CD capacity limit and then ask you to insert the next CD ?

I would like to preserve the same directory structure. No zip.

JMV

You can select a “keep directory structure” in *.zip files.

So, I recommend zipping it up, using a file spliiter (there are many out there, PM me if you can’t find one by searching) to files around 650~700, and burning them.

I am aware of the “keep directory structures” in zip.
From what you are suggesting I still have to produce a many ~600-700m mb files on my hard disk before burning the CDs.

So, for a 4 Gig directory structure I would still need that amount of free space (or less) and then write the individual files to CD.

Isn’t there a seamless zip to CD copy software around that would avoid the need for the temporary hard disk space required?

Not that I know of. Nero has a feature like this for HD’s, but not individual files.

I may write a cdrecord extention to do this one day.

You can also use Norton Ghost using switches, go to google and do a search for of course, Norton Ghost switches and look particulary for one about 650 or 700 (cd sizes), I cant remember what they are off the of my head, and you can actually span a few cd’s for it.

I did a back up of one my machines this way. It took 3 cd’s to do it. Ghost makes a image of the files.

I believe you can DriveImage to do it to…

cloakdoa,

Good idea, never thought of using NT Ghost.
However, I assume that you are talking about spanning data across several 650-700Mb files. I do not remember that Ghost could actually burn a CD.

For spanning files, WinRar can do the same.

JM

Guys and Guysesses (?)

The good old WINZIP 8.1 does ths quite admirably.

Originally posted by jmv
[B]cloakdoa,

Good idea, never thought of using NT Ghost.
However, I assume that you are talking about spanning data across several 650-700Mb files. I do not remember that Ghost could actually burn a CD.

For spanning files, WinRar can do the same.

JM [/B]

Ghost 2002 PE can write directly to cd , but beware if you have a compatible writer. Check symantec’s website for that.

I didnt use it to burn a cd under Ghost, made the images with then used Nero to cut them to cd because with Ghost it split the image apart when I created them. A lot of corporate companies do this and push the image from a server to workstations, but they have to the change the sid on it.