Seagate vs Western Digital

For months I have been having a problem of not being able to burn at 16x. I have a good processor Intel 2.8 mhz. 1 gig of Ram and a Seagate 120 gig hard drive. I also have the lastest and greatest of burners. The BenQ1640 and the LG 4163 and two Necs 3520 and 3540 plus a Liteon 1673. I could never get them to burn above 12x. Last week I picked up a Western Digital 80 gig 8mb of cache hard drive and I installed as my G drive. Now I can burn at 16x with no problems, what is wrong with the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, am I the only one having this problem with this hard drive. Is it the 8mbs of cache helping the transfer rate? I am puzzled.

Do you have an OS on your “G” drive?

No I just made it a " New Volume ". It is a big difference.

I had problems also at one time trying to burn 16X and i formated with a fresh install and cured it. Thought maybe you had a fresh install on your “G” drive sorry.

Nothing on the G drive except empty folders fro my burning applications. It must be the difference in the cache. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 only has 2 mb of cache and the Western Digital has 8 mbs of cache, That is the only reason I can think of.

I have two seagate barracudda sata drives with 8mb cache and i have no problem burning at 16X.

Well my Seagate Barracuda is an ide drive and it only has 2mbs of cache and it is horrid over 12x. The Western digital Ata 80gig is a big improvement.

Is your WD disk perhaps heavy fragmented? Try to run a defrag tool and see what it does; this can make a huge difference.

Im all Seagate here. If your drive could not provide the data would that not show up in the nero buffer boxes?

@bkf: Are your drives Seagate Barracudas 7200.7 with 2 MBs of cache? I defragged them and no good results. The Western Digital however gets me to 15.50X with no slow downs with Verbs 16x+ media. I know this is a hard drive issue I just don’t understand what is wrong with my Seagate. Maybe it has a program on it that is interfering with the transfers over 12x? I am just guessing but there is a big difference in the two hard drives. The one with Xp on it is slow and the one with nothing on it but folders is as fast as lightning.

Yea Alan their are all 8 meg. You would think if there was a data log jam it would show up in the burner software buffers meters. I do most everything on the C drive but I have a 60 gig pertition just for the OS and programs on C
Everything else is just storage.

Thats the difference. My Seagates are 2Mg cache. The Western Digital is 8 mg. and it outperforms the Seagate by a mile. I am going to backup all my data and buy a new hard drive for the Operating system also. There is a big difference in the amount of cache.

Alan With all the sales coming up in 2 days get one of those higher RPM HDD’s Good access / seek times with a nice big buffer.

Happy Turkey day :iagree:

16x dvd burn is theoretical 22MB/s

sustained on a standalone 7200 rpm(2mb) should well exceed that

did you set the seagate up with only one partition?

even data partitions get really hosed(never defrag), I just empty
them and reload them during backup operations(spare hard drives)
and never ever when they are on the same cable

The difference between the 2mb cache and 8mb cache version of these drives is only even noticeable when using RAID. :wink:

I wouldn’t buy WD. Samsung or Seagate for PATA and SATA here.

Most of my HDDs (over 30 units) are WD, but WD is the very maker I distrust most. Well… :frowning:

I’ll take a performance hit to use drives with a 5 yr warranty, says something
about the company(Seagate).

Your HDD or DVD-RW is probably in PIO Mode. Every time there are errors in the IO operations with the storage units, the OS lowers the Ultra DMA from 5 to 4,3, … and finaly to PIO Mode. In PIO Mode you get ~ 2MB/sec. That’s why you cannot burn at high speeds. I had the same problem with a Seagate 120 GB PATA Drive and a Sony DVD-RW. I updated the burner’s firmware, I defragmented my hdd, but nothing changed. Then I looked in Device Manager at the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers. One of them was in PIO Mode. (My burner is on the second channel and my HDD is on the first channel). Just remove both Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers from device manager and reboot your computer. At statrtup, the OS will find both controllers and install them with the highest available Ultra DMA mode.
Maybe this will help.

Doru

and, btw, Seagate is a very good HDD manufacturer. I have been working with a lot of HDD’s in the past, and Seagate were the best. I also liked the old Quantum drives. Too bad Maxtor bought them and now Maxtor drives are crap.

If the OS is on a drive, it greatly affects the reading capability for burning, since the OS is always accessing it.

But having had 8MB cache HD’s for at least 3 years now, I couldn’t go back to a 2MB cache HD. I noticed a huge difference between my GF’s ex-80GB maxtors@2MB & the 80GB WD@8MB, both 7200 RPM, when I cross-graded her machine (or more to the point, cleared out my machine for a 200GB HD).

But here’s the rub. For burning images, it made no difference whatsoever, so long as the image wasn’t fragmented, in which case the 8MB came out on top, ever so slightly.
When using them for both an OS & image, the 8MB cache HD kept up better than a 2MB cache HD.