Seagate to bet more on SSDs this year - new models in 2013

vbimport

I just posted the article Seagate to bet more on SSDs this year - new models in 2013.

There are only three large hard disk manufacturers left and also they can’t get around Solid State Disks (SSDs).

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-to-bet-more-on-ssds-this-year-new-models-in-2013-65709/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-to-bet-more-on-ssds-this-year-new-models-in-2013-65709/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

When ssd-like performance just doesn’t cut it anymore.

What really worries me about SSDs is that noone seems to be researching into increasing the lifespan of these devices. Rather, they are ultimately concerned about speed. If I buy an SSD today, I don’t want to be forced to buy a replacement in the next few years.

Of course, I’m sure companies like Seagate are counting on this, as they probably want us to have to buy more from them.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2673063]What really worries me about SSDs is that noone seems to be researching into increasing the lifespan of these devices. Rather, they are ultimately concerned about speed. If I buy an SSD today, I don’t want to be forced to buy a replacement in the next few years.

Of course, I’m sure companies like Seagate are counting on this, as they probably want us to have to buy more from them.[/QUOTE]

The reliability has improved greatly in recent times. They’re rated at 1 million hours and many SSD’s are coming with 5 year warranties. Naturally, you will still backup your data so why so such a concern? Mechanical hard drives can and do fail within a few years of buying, as do power supplies, graphics cards and pretty much everything else in your case.

Don´t believe in the MTBF.
The reliability of the NANDs decrease with every DIE-shrink, so you´re wrong. Endurance-tests show that an older Samsung SSD 830 are able to do over 10x NAND-writes than newer 840 with TLC.
OK, most failures are because Firmware-problems but this is an other szenario. It´s a thing that that isn´t purposely, but the manufacturers know that DIE-shrinks are not good for endurance

And a PSU -if you don´t buy cheapest things- are not that hard like a HDD/SSD-failure because you don´t loose data

But a external backup ist still the best you can do; even the best SSD/HDD can failure sometimes

The joys of buying two identical SSDs for a boot-drive and its clone, left cold until ‘if and when’.

[I]-from the Harley School of PC Medicine & Psychotherapy[/I]

SSDs is the future

[QUOTE=starokonovo;2679573]SSDs is the future[/QUOTE]
The future is here.:flower:

It surprises me that Seagate’s vast and illustrious history with SSDs hasn’t been a conversation point.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2679739]It surprises me that Seagate’s vast and illustrious history with SSDs hasn’t been a conversation point.[/QUOTE] You may have accidentally engaged the SarcasmLock key on your computer. :stuck_out_tongue:

(keyboard kick!)

Nope, it’s still there.

I think that “Seagate bets MORE” is the 3-word phrase that’s left it in lock mode. And you’re right - I shouldn’t let that Lock stay too long - after all, their First One will indeed be More.