Seagate starts shipments of 4 TB HDDs with 1 TB platters

vbimport

Seagate starts shipments of 4 TB HDDs with 1 TB platters.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/04/fj2Ti.jpg[/newsimage]Seagate will start shipments of 4 TB hard disk drives (HDDs) with four platters with a capacity of 1 TB each. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-starts-shipments-of-4-tb-hdds-with-1-tb-platters-66680/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-starts-shipments-of-4-tb-hdds-with-1-tb-platters-66680/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Not a chance in the world I would ever go back to a spinner. Newegg has them for 204.00 in a retail box.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178326&nm_mc=OTC-Channel&cm_mmc=OTC-channel--Hard+Drives--Seagate-_-22178326&srccode=cii_7240515&cpncode=34-8635370&DEPA=0&refer=channel&CMP=OTC-#top

Personally if I was to buy one it would this one with 128mbs of cache.

Have to agree with [I]alan1476[/I] on this one. :iagree:

We still have two boxes/ (incl. one media server) in our home but both of them are running on Intel SSD´s nowdays. No HDD´s anymore.
Data/ films we like to save are stored on BD.

BTW, I think most of the people nowdays are moving toward smartphones and tablets, as per my experience from our home anyway.

IMO, the worldwide demand for large capacity drives is slowing. Broadband hasn’t taken off as fast as it could’ve/should’ve and that puts a damper on cloud remote storage/recall services. Combine that with the downturn in desktop/laptop biz and now you see the reason why street prices on drives are plummeting. Nowadays, street prices for goods only get cuts when it serves their economic interest… not for the good of the customer.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683310]Not a chance in the world I would ever go back to a spinner. Newegg has them for 204.00 in a retail box.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178326&nm_mc=OTC-Channel&cm_mmc=OTC-channel--Hard+Drives--Seagate-_-22178326&srccode=cii_7240515&cpncode=34-8635370&DEPA=0&refer=channel&CMP=OTC-#top

Personally if I was to buy one it would this one with 128mbs of cache.

http://www.amazon.com/SEAGATE-ST4000DX000-Barracuda-128MB-internal/dp/B0092521U6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1365098851&sr=8-6&keywords=seagate+4+tb[/QUOTE]Let’s see, should I buy a 1 TB SSD for around $2,000 or a 4 TB hard drive for around $200.00. Of course, it would be the 1 TB SSD, right? Because my desktop computer will boot a few seconds faster? Actually, I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate tablet with a 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM, and a 1.6 GHz i5 dual core processor. I also have a generic desktop computer with a 1 TB hard drive, 4 GB RAM, and a 1.8 GHz dual core Athlon processor. The difference in boot speed is so little, that if I’m not sitting there watching them both boot side by side, I honestly couldn’t tell which one finished first.

145MB/sec sustained write speed is nothing to sneeze at. There are plenty of SSDs out there that would have a tough time matching that. 1TB per platter data density is a pretty big deal in a number of ways. Speed is one thing, but even bigger drives is another. 6TB HDDs are not far off.

For someone like myself, with ~20TB of media storage, it matters.

[QUOTE=CDan;2683405]145MB/sec sustained write speed is nothing [B]to sneeze at[/B]. There are plenty of SSDs out there that would have a tough time matching that. 1TB per platter data density is a pretty big deal in a number of ways. Speed is one thing, but even bigger drives is another. 6TB HDDs are not far off.

For someone like myself, with ~20TB of media storage, it matters.[/QUOTE]

Please 145mbs is old hardware.

I’m old too, but I’m good.

I feel old. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2683433]I’m old too, but I’m good.[/QUOTE]
I agree you are old and you are good.:wink:

[QUOTE=Dee;2683437]I feel old. :)[/QUOTE]
Tomorrow you will feel young.:flower: Because you are.:wink:

I use an SSD for my OS hard drive, but SSD’s aren’t anywhere near big enough to hold my tb’s of video files.

I guess most people are shifting to streaming and cloud storage, but I like to control my own files. Which means loads of storage space so I can also back it all up.

Bring on bigger hard drives :slight_smile:

I didn’t understand the inference between broadband’s low growth to lessened hard drive sales. Great broadband coverage means more streaming and lessens the need for local storage, especially for the largest file-types, video. But we’re still so far from having decent broadband coverage for most of America’s miles even though the optic-fibre was installed in the late '90s.

Or is the cloud mention an inference that more cloud companies emerge with huge server-farms? Perhaps, but none of those companies will rely on these bleeding edge drives - they’ll buy tens of thousands of time-tested drives but would probably only do year-long tests on these rookie drives.

They do appreciate new drive capacities because it’s a good argument for price-reductions when getting the older, less-capacity drives.

These new drives are focusing on consumer and smaller purchase groups, and these could account for plenty.

I wonder if we’ll see babysteps in future capacities? 600-per-side for double sided drives (1200Tb per disk, 5 platters = 6Tb), 800-per-side (8Tb) or if someone will be audacious enough to go 1Tb per side for a 10Tb drive as a next step?

SSDs and Cloud storage are the future and anyone who doesn’t believe that is in denial.:flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683496]SSDs and Cloud storage are the future and anyone who doesn’t believe that is in denial.:flower:[/QUOTE]I think people who believe the hype that corporate America is putting their sensitive, proprietary data on cloud servers that they have no control over, are delirious. And yes, I know some corporations are doing so, but I think it’s mainly as off-site backups, not active file storage. Also, every time there is a publicized outage that prevents people from accessing their personal data for a day or two at a time, more people are dissuaded from using the “cloud”. I know I’ll never use it because I want to control/access my files, even if my internet connection goes down.

I have a hard time putting someone else in charge of storing my files. What if they go broke and shut down. Server Issues? Shut down by government agencies?

Not to mention broadband caps. At least when you have the files locally you’re not burning through bandwidth every time you want to access them.

I guess the clouds ok for small files that you need easy access to, but for my whole file library… I’m extremely skeptical.

In every new technological leap there are always people left behind, and I understand their fears, but to say that you don’t want to put sensitive files on a secure Cloud and then put your banking Online and your credit card numbers into the internet for every keylogger to see is a bit distressing. Maybe you don’t buy anything online either, like I said there are always folks that are skeptical and its to bad because as I said, they are indeed left behind. JMHO.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683528]In every new technological leap there are always people left behind, and I understand their fears, but to say that you don’t want to put sensitive files on a secure Cloud and then put your banking Online and your credit card numbers into the internet for every keylogger to see is a bit distressing. Maybe you don’t buy anything online either, like I said there are always folks that are skeptical and its to bad because as I said, they are indeed left behind. JMHO.;)[/QUOTE]
Denial may be a problem for some, but that isn’t the only reason for holding out.
The cloud is, in the majority of cases, not ready for prime time.

If six sigma reliabilty 99.99997% could be provided from ISP’s and cloud providers … maybe.

But the continued failings of cloud providers, even for stupid things like not updating security certificates, is preventing mass adoption.

Also, the trust issue is a large one, and the data security is a large problem. Who has access to your data? What guarantee do you have that your data will be there tomorrow?

With the FBI pissing all over international boundaries and shutting down a service that they had no legal right to shut down, and companies going out of business for legal/financial reasons, how do you get your data back.
I’m sure many people have wiped a phone and forgotten to get a few pictures off it first, or they’ve had HDD’s break down and a few bits of data, files, movies, photos, lost.
Now with cloud storage, people are being coaxed to put ALL their data online.

No matter how many times you call the “off-line storage” people “flat earthers”, it’s not going to persuade them otherwise, because their fears ARE justified, and repeatedly so.
At the end of the day, anything less than an off-line backup in addition to the cloud storage is not going to be enough.

If it doesn’t exist in two places, it doesn’t exist.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2683496]SSDs and Cloud storage are the future and anyone who doesn’t believe that is in denial.:flower:[/QUOTE]

SSD are coming but not til they are matching $/megabyte as HDD that is a hard sell for me. As another reply was spending 2,000 for a 1tb SSD or 200 for a 4tb HDD my money would go for the HDD as I can store more locally and still store more. I wouldn’t use it for the Main HDD as other would do but as a secondary or 3rd or so on you get my point as storage not boot. I would use a smaller SSD aka 120gig for O/S and software installs and the other HDD for storage. But for laptop would be different then one need to get a large enough drive based on their future computing storage needs as most laptop are only one bay drive - the two bay drives are large and more expensive laptops that have that option only. To the cloud we need to take a reality check everyone… Cloud Storage aka Server farm or Servers is nothing new just a renaming of the same old offline storage on offsite servers so let’s be realistic here Cloud Storage is a fancy new name to a old storage device Server Farms there is nothing futuristic about it the interface changed but is based on Server Farms working together. So we need to dispel this notion of Cloud Server is aks Server Farm something that was invented in the 80’s with a new name for something from the past. Denials are from the Server Farms whom get hacked and data stolen and fail to report to the users or Law enforcement that private and sensitive data was stolen and one doesn’t have to look far then the online news reports of stolen data from compromised Cloud Servers.

I respect everyone’s opinion, as long as they have their facts straight, we will see in a year or so who is right. As long as encrypted Cloud Storage is affordable, it is the future. There is no doubt in my mind. You can make a spinner 25tbs if you wish, once it stops, and you are without a backup, I mean seriously, who is going to backup 10Tbs with hardware, not me. The Cloud will and do it cheap enough in the future so everyone will never lose their data. Good enough for me, I have nothing to hide.