Seagate ships 2 billion hard disk drives - impressive?

I just posted the article Seagate ships 2 billion hard disk drives - impressive?.

Seagate has announced that company has shipped 2 billion hard disk drives

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-ships-2-billion-hard-disk-drives-impressive-66469/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-ships-2-billion-hard-disk-drives-impressive-66469/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Bigger hard drives please. They seem to have stalled out at 3tb. To find a decently price 4tb I had to buy an external drive and pull out drive from inside of it :slight_smile:

I would agree… as files get bigger, larger storage solutions are needed.

What will change is that SSD drives will be the PRIMARY HDD of computers going forward from about 2015 into the mainstream as they get 1tb SSD under $100. There are also R&D on nano substrate films & materials that change over magnetic spinning media to flash media. Should this prove successful it could spell the END of spinning hard drives as they will see 12x capacity and a minimum of 4x top of the line HDD transfer rates to begin with.

[QUOTE=Zod;2680904]Bigger hard drives please. They seem to have stalled out at 3tb. To find a decently price 4tb I had to buy an external drive and pull out drive from inside of it :slight_smile:

I would agree… as files get bigger, larger storage solutions are needed.[/QUOTE]

Really where I am I can find 4tb desktop hard drive. You sure your looking at the right locations?

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2680939]What will change is that SSD drives will be the PRIMARY HDD of computers going forward from about 2015 into the mainstream as they get 1tb SSD under $100. There are also R&D on nano substrate films & materials that change over magnetic spinning media to flash media. Should this prove successful it could spell the END of spinning hard drives as they will see 12x capacity and a minimum of 4x top of the line HDD transfer rates to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Don’t count on that anytime soon…they want their cash cow to make money first…

I have had far too many of those 2 billion drives that I have owned end up suffering a premature death to be impressed. I won’t be buying any of their next 2 billion drives.

[QUOTE=UTR;2681053]I have had far too many of those 2 billion drives that I have owned end up suffering a premature death to be impressed. I won’t be buying any of their next 2 billion drives.[/QUOTE]

lol… yeah that is something they don’t mention in the 2 billion drives sold probably %50 of those drives where the 2 Billion failures…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2681046]Really where I am I can find 4tb desktop hard drive. You sure your looking at the right locations?[/QUOTE]

Well I am in Canada… sometimes we don’t get everything available in the US. When I was looking for 4tb drives the only one under 200 bux was a seagate. Apparently they have quality control issues… lol. WD only makes faster ones like the black so they cost closer to 300.

I ended up buying a 4tb wd my essentials external hard drive which has an hitachi 4tb 5400rpm drive inside which was perfect for media player.

So yah I looked, the only low price one out there was the seagate. which I guess was the point of this article. My point was 3tb has been the sweet spot for a while and it feels like they’ve stalled out on making bigger drives.

Are HDD companies greedy, fat & lazy? SURE!, but these market decision are not ENTIRELY up to them, SSD companies will force their hand sooner or later to innovate or die trying! It’s not a stretch in 2013 to say we are a number of years (you can count on your fingers) away from SSD drives making it into the downturned DESKTOP pc biz.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2681191]Are HDD companies greedy, fat & lazy? SURE!, but these market decision are not ENTIRELY up to them, SSD companies will force their hand sooner or later to innovate or die trying! It’s not a stretch in 2013 to say we are a number of years (you can count on your fingers) away from SSD drives making it into the downturned DESKTOP pc biz.[/QUOTE]

Might want to count more fingers…til the price of SSD match the HDD capacity/price…you can count that and keep counting for years and years to come.

[QUOTE=Zod;2681087]I ended up buying a 4tb wd my essentials external hard drive which has an hitachi 4tb 5400rpm drive inside which was perfect for media player.[/QUOTE]

I got my WD 4TB My Book for $170 CDN a month or two ago at Best Buy. It’s full of blu-ray rips, so now I need a 5TB. Somebody needs to get their asses in gear and make one at a reasonable price. Cheapest plan is to get external and open the case for the drive. Not sure why bare drives are more money.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2680939]What will change is that SSD drives will be the PRIMARY HDD of computers going forward from about 2015 into the mainstream as they get 1tb SSD under $100. There are also R&D on nano substrate films & materials that change over magnetic spinning media to flash media. Should this prove successful it could spell the END of spinning hard drives as they will see 12x capacity and a minimum of 4x top of the line HDD transfer rates to begin with.[/QUOTE]

that doesn’t seem likely for a while since theres a long term data retention problem with ssd’s at the moment

Sounds like a McDonalds slogan.