Seagate SATA overheat

hello,
I just bought seagate ST9250827AS 250 GB hard disk with transcend
casing, on 7 th october 2008. (bangalore)
whenver I try to do some sort of heavy work, like copying large data,
disk check, external hard disk gets heated upto 52 degree celcious and
casing also gets heated too much.
noram temp 43-46 C
Is there any problem in hard disk? Is it intended to operate at this
much higher ranges??

waiting for you reply

Gauri

[B][/B]As you have already said copying large files doing a disk check causes the drive to heat up
that is completely normal for any hdd because the hdd is working harder than when it is just
setting there at idle so there is nothing out of the ordinary with it hitting 52c. :disagree: I have had
a few Seagate and Maxtor drives that ran that hot or even a little bit hotter than that at idle
and never had any kind of problems from them. Now if it starts hitting 60c or hotter all of the
time even at idle than I’d start to worry a little.

[B][U]Seagate Operating Temperature 0 to 60 (°C) [/U][/B]so 52c is fine
http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4895&p_created=1192548337&p_sid=lw6*N5gj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=1629&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTQxLDk0MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVNlYWdhdGUgb3BlcmF0aW5nIHRlbXBlcmF0dXJlcw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Above 45C is a bit high though in general
//DAnne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2139992]Above 45C is a bit high though in general
//DAnne[/QUOTE]

Yes some will say any thing over 45c is a little bit high in general but it isn’t all that unusual to see higher temps
in SFF/Home theater boxes/external enclosures. I have a friend that has a USB external enclosure with a Seagate
250GB hdd that is run 24/7. I don’t believe it has ever seen any temp under 49c usually more in the 50-55c range
since the day it was first turned on several years ago. It has not given a moments trouble in the last 3 or 4 years
that it has been running in the enclosure even at those temps.

Maybe consider getting a better case fan to increase air flow through the case.