Seagate preloading Paramount movies on 500GB HDD

vbimport

I just posted the article Seagate preloading Paramount movies on 500GB HDD.

Paramount Pictures and Seagate have teamed up to offer a new hard drive that will ship with the latest Star Trek movie along with 20 additional Paramount movie titles.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-preloading-paramount-movies-on-500gb-hdd-28412/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-preloading-paramount-movies-on-500gb-hdd-28412/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Perhaps there is an error in wording here?

…all of the movies use around 50GB [B]each[/B] on the 500GB HDD.
(my emphasis)

21 x 50gb = more than the capacity of the drive. Surely the [B]total [/B]size of the movies is about 50gb.

Is there any information on what format the movies are in? If standard mpeg2/dvd-video, they will be compressed quite a lot and will suffer in quality. If they are encoded with H264, they are taking more room than necessary unless they include extras.

That’s all we need, more crap-ware.

These are the 21 movies.

[B]* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

• GI Joe
  • Shooter
  • The Hunt for Red October
  • The Italian Job (2003)
  • Ghost
  • Patriot Games
  • Beowulf
  • Enemy at the Gates
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles
  • The Love Guru
  • Coach Carter
  • The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
  • Nacho Libre
  • Jackass 2.5
  • A Plumm Summer
  • Carriers
  • Dance Flick
  • Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  • Star Trek (2009)[/B]

All of these movies are stored in compressed format and take up about 2.5GB of space each.

File format is WMV.

Not high definition: Movies have a resolution of just 720x300.

Come with a Windows-based digital rights management system.

Web portal to access movies is compatible only with Internet Explorer 7+.

Movies only play in Windows Media Player 10+ or on FreeAgent Theater+.

:cool::cool:

Thanks for the added info Platinumsword. Certainly not worth the price they are asking, considering the limitations placed on the videos.

Besides, these guys would have to pay [B]me[/B] to let [I]Nacho Libre, The Love Guru and Jackass 2.5[/I] anywhere near my computer. Some of the others are real stinkers too.

Hmm… those movies cost between $10 and $15 each to unlock. Most of them can be bought on DVD for $5 and you actually have it on a physical disc with pretty packaging. This is one of the WORST deals I’ve ever seen.

I was under the impression at first reading that the movies were yours with the purchase of the drive… Now to find out you have to PAY for the use of each of the movies!!! WHAT A DEAL!!! I’ll take 10… just to IMMEDIATELY REFORMAT and get that garbage offf the drive.

Wonder how long it will be before “someone” cracks whatever encryption is used on those movies and they will be available for “free”??? :wink:

What a nice idea from Seagate to fill your disk for you already. Saves you the trouble of downloading that crap i guess :slight_smile: Oh wait… DRM… let’s strip that and reconvert it to divx so my dvd player can read it as well.

What’s next? The Seagate Barracuda 2TB Pr0n Edition?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2510305]What’s next? The Seagate Barracuda 2TB Pr0n Edition?[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think.

i think the Sony service mentioned above had potential. the downfall is the ridiculously high price! that needs to be down to around $5-$7.50 per movie then it will take off. no one is going to pay over the top for something they download. after all, there is nothing physical coming from Sony or any other studio that does similar, so very little in costs and almost all is profit. as for the HDD option, not for me!