Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid HDD Review

vbimport

I just posted the article Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid HDD Review.

Is a “Hybrid” HDD the future?
Seagate think it is.
We review the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB hybrid HDD.
Can its performance compete with an SSD.
Let’s find out in this review.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/review/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb-hybrid-hdd-review-36205/](http://www.myce.com/review/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb-hybrid-hdd-review-36205/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Thanks for the another great review Dee :clap:

First page:

application lunches
Seems the author of the review was hungry at the time of writing :bigsmile:

Nice review btw :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2554775]First page: Seems the author of the review was hungry at the time of writing :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]I was. :slight_smile:
I suppose I better fix that error. :bigsmile:

I would be curious to see how the VelociRaptor would have compared in the real world/MyCE reality tests. However, after seeing how much quicker this drive performed compared with the 7200RPM HDD, it looks like the VelociRaptor would have also struggled to beat this.

There are a few other nice things about this drive:

[ul]
[li]It’s less than half the price of the VelociRaptor 600GB. The 100GB capacity advantage for the Raptor doesn’t justify the price difference.
[/li][li]This fits in a standard 2.5" 9.5mm height bay such as what most laptops have. The Raptor requires a 15mm 2.5" bay, not to mention good ventilation.
[/li][li]This drive likely uses less power, since it spins at 7200RPM instead of 10000RPM.
[/li][/ul]

Of course for a desktop user, this drive would easily complement an SSD. For example, an SSD for the OS, this hybrid HDD for the user profile and a large HDD for general storage. For a power user, they could use an SSD for the OS and several of these in a RAID configuration for the storage. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2554828]I would be curious to see how the VelociRaptor would have compared in the real world/MyCE reality tests. However, after seeing how much quicker this drive performed compared with the 7200RPM HDD, it looks like the VelociRaptor would have also struggled to beat this.
[/quote]

10K RPM drives are slaughtered by the Momentus XT (hybrid).

[QUOTE=Seán;2554828]
Of course for a desktop user, this drive would easily complement an SSD.

For example, an SSD for the OS, this hybrid HDD for the user profile and a large HDD for general storage. For a power user, they could use an SSD for the OS and several of these in a RAID configuration for the storage. :)[/QUOTE]

I doubt there is any significant speed up in regards to moving user documents to the hybrid drive.

When updating my missus’s PC, I imaged across to the SSD,.
Later, I moved the user profile/storage documents to a standard HDD … there was little difference in loading times, or delays for large email folders.

The momentus XT combines the advantages (speed & capacity)) from both SSD & standard HDD.

At $160au (in Oz), it’s significantly (35%) cheaper than a current generation 64GB SSD ($270 - although you can get generic brands for a similar price - $150-170au) and a 500GB HDD - approx $50 (ex P&H).

If you want a super-speed PC with Giant storage capacity, go with SSD with a separate (cheap) standard HDD for storage.

Where this really shines is for Laptops, where an SSD is too small (or expensive) for permanent use …

Or, when upgrading single HDD machines (like I’m doing).

If you’ve got older PC’s or laptops used in your workplace, slipping one of these babies in and imaging the original HDD across to it saves $$$ in upgrading PC’s :wink:

I’ve done most of my workplace with these, including the data array on our main server - standard HDD’s still used for the boot drives. It speeds up network transfers from servers (reduces browsing delays & whatnot).

Honestly, these Momentus XT’s are the best things since sliced bread :stuck_out_tongue:

Interpreting the benchmarks posted here Momentus physically is just a slow HDD - boot time, application launch is not everything.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2555052]Interpreting the benchmarks posted here Momentus physically is just a slow HDD - boot time, application launch is not everything.[/QUOTE]The problem is, the synthetic benchmarks never have told anybody very much about how an SSD really performs.

That’s why we test them in the real world, covered in the real world tests, and the MyCE Reality Suite.
The MyCE Reality Suite is actually running real applications with real data. The only thing that changes between each run of the test is the drive itself. Therefor you can get a better picture of how an SSD/HDD is really performing.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2555052]Interpreting the benchmarks posted here Momentus physically is just a slow HDD - boot time, application launch is not everything.[/QUOTE]

If you need raw throughput, SSD ( and money is no problem) / 10K RPM HDD’s are a better choice.
If you want a decent sized replacement for a desktop machine HDD, without the complexity of multiple HDD configurations, without the expense of SSD’s … it fits the bill.

Application launch is everything, when you’re using a PC for work and commonly launching/switching between programs … and you need some decent capacity.

Real world test?

Once you have the Momentus copy to a normal HDD (more likely cenario) advantages will mostly go up in smoke :wink:

I the smaller 250GB model in my Netbook. I just cloned the existing partition over and so far my experience has been very good.

For the first two boots after the change, I didn’t really notice much of an improvement, but after the 3rd boot and every startup since, it does tasks in about half the time, including booting Windows. These include launching applications (Firefox, Word, DVB Viewer, etc.) and carrying out a search (since the HDD ends up caching all the directory index sectors in its SSD). These typical tasks account for 90+% of what I use the Netbook for and it’s really nice being able to grab the Netbook and not having to wait on it watching the HDD LED solidly lit.

Of course it doesn’t improve copying that much, but the main bottle neck I usually find with copying is the USB port, memory card reader, etc., as the majority of file copying I do is from my camera’s memory cards.

Sure I could have got a cheap 64GB SSD instead, but it’s nice having a fast Netbook or laptop without having to fork out on a large capacity SSD or put up with having to constantly plug in a USB HDD for extra storage.

The High Point Rocket 620 Adaptor gave SSD quite a boost in previous tests.On sata 3. The question is can this adaptor give the hybrid drive a boost.???

Thanks for the great review Dee,
The High Point 620 adaptor is for SATA3 so this is for new hybrid drive’s that use SATA3 a link to this info. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/10/28/are-on-board-sata-6gbps-ports-fast-enough/1 Like SSD Hybrid use memory to boost performance so an adaptor might play a role in its performance

Thank you Dee,
You do nice work.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2555082]Real world test?

Once you have the Momentus copy to a normal HDD (more likely cenario) advantages will mostly go up in smoke ;)[/QUOTE]That depends on the drive you are coping that data to, if it happens to be connected via USB2, then you are only measuring the speed of USB2, not the speed of the drive you are reviewing. It is therefor a pointless test to run.

@[B]Sean[/B].
That is what i found as well. Give the drive a little time to learn your usage pattern and it will reward you with some very snappy performance.

@[B]Chriscreative [/B]The drive would also need a SATA3 connection to gain any performance from connecting it to a SATA3 host controller. My mobo has SATA3 via the Marvell 9128 controller (GigaByte GA-P55A-UD4).
I should soon have a SATA3 SSD to check out how the onboard controller performs.

@[B]debro[/B]
It’s nice to hear you are having a nice experience with the Momentus XT, at work.

@[B]all[/B]
Thank you for your comments and feedback. :flower: