Seagate/Maxtor - Free Backup Software

Props to my buddies over at AnandTech for this one:

Without much fanfare, Seagate has released a free version of DiscWizard and Maxtor’s MaxBlast 5 based on the OEM version of True Image. These utilities also feature other capabilities–disk drive cloning, full disk imaging, formatting drives, creating partitions, erasing all the data on the drive.

And the price, FREE, BABY, FREE!

You need at least one hard drive manufactured by Seagate or Maxtor. Follow the links to Seagate DiscWizard or Maxtor MaxBlast.

Both are supposedly Vista compatible.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I was about to purchase Ghost or Acronis True Image. I hope these Seagate tools can do what I need…

Thanks, Hurricane Andrew! The Seagate one will come in handy. :slight_smile:

Do they create standard Acronis images?

And props to you for passing it on :bow:

Great news, thanks for the heads up. I had very good experience with the previous versions of DiscWizard and MaxBlast, i cant wait to check out this one. I hope its not too bloated…

And BTW: I have both a Seagate and a Maxtor disc. Do i need to download both applications or will MaxBlast work with my Seagate too (or vice versa) ?

MAX BLAST works very nice BTW and comes free with the retail packs.

DLing maxblast now (101MB :eek: ), I’ll let everyone know how it goes :slight_smile:

This is aweome stuff man!

Thanks!

lookin good, I haven’t tried a backup yet, but will as soon as I clear out some crap :stuck_out_tongue:

DL was nice and fast too, ~900kb/s
thanks for posting [B]Hurricane Andrew[/B] :bow:

Yeah, I maxed out on the download as well (of the Seagate software) - 1062kbp/s. I’ll be testing it out once I format the PC with the Seagate HDD, too much crap on it to back it up as it is. :slight_smile:

Looks pretty nice - thanks for the screenie, ExpertTech :slight_smile:

So it is not limitted to Maxtor or Seagate Drive, nice

Thanks for the info Hurricane Andrew

OK/ How do you make the drives raid? I inserted my Dell XP sp2 disk and it wants to just format one drive. The BIOS had raid on. Am I missing a step?

Thanks for sharing, great links!

This looks identical to Acronis software, I just upgraded to True Image Home 10.0. Does anyone know if the Seagate/Maxtor s/w has any advantage over True Image?

The Seagate/Maxtor are superior with the fact that they can do some things which the Acronis True Image cant - eg: Removing DDO

Acronis True Image has a better UI and more options for backups.