Seagate: Hybrid SSD-HDDs will rule the future

vbimport

Seagate: Hybrid SSD-HDDs will rule the future.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/07/bT1pOD.jpg[/newsimage]The future of hard disk drives will be flash hybrids, according to a high ranking Seagate executive. The statement regarding the predicted popularity of the hybrid drives coincides with the release of the company’s new Momentus XT drive, which is being billed as the world’s fastest 2.5” hard drive.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-hybrid-ssd-hdds-will-rule-the-future-32336/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-hybrid-ssd-hdds-will-rule-the-future-32336/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If only it were some other company besides Seagate making them I might just
give one a try but not as long as it has the Seagate name on it. :disagree:

Over the past 20 years I’ve only have one Seagate die on me…

[QUOTE=getit29;2534273]If only it were some other company besides Seagate making them I might just
give one a try but not as long as it has the Seagate name on it. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Same here :iagree:
I remove all Seagate HDD space ( over 40GB ) and replace WD / Hitachi / Samsung HDD one by one
don’t want it even free of charge Seagate HDD

P.S I [B]was [/B]Seagate fan

I’ve never had a Seagate drive die on me, and i think Seagate learned from that firmware error.
All brands will have some problems, Samsung had their problems, WD has problems now, as does Hitachi.

It doesn’t matter what the brand is, some will just die anyway.

As far as the article goes, I think Seagate is right, the SSD-HDD hybrid is such an awesome idea that I think most drives will be transitioning to this type of device.

. Hybrid, SSD memory with HDD platter capacities now this is the drive I were looking for both speed and enough space for large files, a step in the right direction. I sure Samsung, WD and Hitachi will be transitioning to this type of device or something similar.

[QUOTE=Dee;2534458]It doesn’t matter what the brand is, some will just die anyway.[/QUOTE]

You are quite correct Dee, :iagree: all mechanical and even the new SSD Hdd’s die sooner or later it’s just that all
of my Seagate drives have died sooner rather than later like in a matter of minutes or hours not days or weeks
or even months or years but minutes and or hours. :doh: :sad:

Yo-

I was a fan of Seagate hard drives for years and am currently using Western Digital drives after the Seagate 7200.11 fiasco.

IMO the move to SSD drives and hybrids is a result of drive failures which are a common problem for all of us computer users.

Just as we have seen in the recent past - our computers are gonna morph towards the faster/reliable which is a good thing IMO.

I changed the hard disk in my Netbook with a Seagate 250GB hybrid, mirroring the content over using dd_resecue in Linux. After the first two boots of the change-over, the start-up time has halved and is more responsive even with multiple applications open. It’s certainly a heck of a lot better than any improvement I managed to get with “ReadyBoost”. While applications load up much quicker, it’s not instant opening like my desktop’s OCZ SSD, but quick enough that makes the upgrade well worth while. I noticed the upgrade the most during my recent vacation, as it came out of hibernate to on the web much quicker.

While hybrids are likely to become popular over the next few years, I would imagine that spinning hard disks will become obsolete once NAND flash or some other form of solid state storage eventually catches up on pricing.

As for failing hard drives, from my experience, hard drives that fail seem to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer each year. For example, up until 2008, I haven’t seen any WD hard drives fail and lately seen plenty of 2.5" Scorpio Blue failures and two recent Caviar Blue failures, one which I helped someone replace this week and the other being a new drive I bought that failed two hours after installation. Seagates and Maxtors were the two most common brands I use to see fail, but haven’t encountered any recent failures of these brands.

Regardless of what brand of hard drive one uses, [U]always keep a backup[/U], even if on another hard disk. For my own hard drives, I have had 4 failures since 2003, all different brands - one Maxtor OneTouch external 3.5" 250GB (5 years ago), one Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" 120GB (3 years ago), a WD 3.5" Caviar Blue 250GB (1 year ago) and an OCZ Agility 2.5" 60GB SSD (4 months ago). The three hard disks failed by collecting bad sectors, although I’ve seen HDDs totally fail (e.g. not spin up, not show up in BIOS, etc.) and two were replaced under warranty. The SSD totally failed unexpectedly, I left the PC and came back to see a boot disk failure message. I got this replaced under warranty and restored a backup. In all cases, with the help of backups, I didn’t lose any information.

Yo-

Forgot to mention that all my Western Digital hard drives are Caviar Blacks - they may cost a little more - but are worth every penny IMO - especially the five year warranty. I own one Western Digital Raptor 160 gb 10,000 rpm hard drive - darn thing sounds like a dying coffee grinder so it resides on the shelf-eh.

With the 60-64GB SSD at around $100 and dropping, this doesn’t look as good as when it first came out. They need to give it more SSD memory, 4GB is less than 10% of the total storage, I’m not convinced that’s enough to store all my commonly used programs. If they bump the SSD storage to 16GB, that would be more attractive. They are also using SLC NAND, while it’s faster and more durable, it’s 2-3 times more expensive than MLC. Since this is only a read cache (mostly read operations, not much write operation), MLC should do fine.

Read more Interesting comments on this site http://storagemojo.com/2010/05/24/seagate-gets-hybrid-ssdhdd-right/