Seagate, Hitachi compete with new 4TB hard disk drives

vbimport

Seagate, Hitachi compete with new 4TB hard disk drives.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/09/o0sij4.jpg[/newsimage]In what's either an incredible case of serendipity or just typical corporate one-upsmanship, competing manufacturers Seagate and Hitachi GST have each unveiled new 4TB hard drives in the past few days. However, only one device is available right now.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-hitachi-compete-with-new-4tb-hard-disk-drives-51490/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-hitachi-compete-with-new-4tb-hard-disk-drives-51490/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So … they slapped a pair of 2TB HDD’s into an external enclosure, put them in raid 1 … and call it a 4TB HDD, and make claims of wonderful new technology … especially now that they’ve just decreased the reliability of the product by an order of magnitude.

Huzzah!

Bah Humbug.

I agree, I could even pick up a 3.5" HDD RAID enclosure and two 2TB Samsung F4EG’s, which would give me a 4TB external drive or better still, a 4xdrive RAID enclosure to give me an 8TB external drive. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=debro;2603369]So … they slapped a pair of 2TB HDD’s into an external enclosure, put them in raid 1 … and call it a 4TB HDD, and make claims of wonderful new technology … especially now that they’ve just decreased the reliability of the product by an order of magnitude.

Huzzah!

Bah Humbug.[/QUOTE]

Actually that’s what it used to be, and RAID0/JBOD or some form of spanning would make it look like 4TB, not RAID1. RAID1 is a mirror.

But this time, these are single 4TB drives. With both Seagate and Hitachi announcing 1TB per platter, they are able to pack up to 5TB on a single drive now. Soon you will be seeing 5TB drives, but they want to milk it and release 4TB drives first.

[QUOTE=Seán;2603376]I agree, I could even pick up a 3.5" HDD RAID enclosure and two 2TB Samsung F4EG’s, which would give me a 4TB external drive or better still, a 4xdrive RAID enclosure to give me an 8TB external drive. :)[/QUOTE]

…To further what BonzTM said, there will be an 8TB external with two 4TB drives released sometime soon. (I remember one press release boasting the availability of such a model).

[QUOTE=BonzTM;2603405]Actually that’s what it used to be, and RAID0/JBOD or some form of spanning would make it look like 4TB, not RAID1. RAID1 is a mirror.

But this time, these are single 4TB drives. With both Seagate and Hitachi announcing 1TB per platter, they are able to pack up to 5TB on a single drive now. Soon you will be seeing 5TB drives, but they want to milk it and release 4TB drives first.[/QUOTE]
Raid 0 ;).
Typing on a tab could be easier, and more accurate, methinks, and proof reading is such a drag

If they are a single 4 TB drive, it’s be interesting to see how many platters these drives have, and get reliability data on them.

Spinning 5 platters couldn’t be too energy efficient, although more efficient than twin spindles.

Oh well, I was thinking the same thing… single drive? Nope!
I told ya they wouldn’t release 4tb drives in 2011. It’s a model year thing… release them in 2011 and a few months later they have to drop the price 'cause it’s last year’s model… hahahaha… not that it matters, HDD technology doesn’t innovate by leaps & bounds year over year like in the 80s & 90s. That curve is going to flatten out…

However, I am expecting 4TB drives before my birthday (June) of next year, so don’t disappoint me schmucks!

The plot thickens…
The seagate is a single drive, with 5x 800GB platters …
178MBps / 163MBps sequential read/write, 20.2ms Access Time.
8.1 Watts at idle, 12.3 Watts during read/write operations.