Seagate Hard Drive

vbimport

Hi, every one. Is this a good hard drive? I want to use it as a back up in a external case. Any thoughts on this drive.

thanks in advance
Mr. Bill :bow:

The Seagate 7200.11 1TB hdd I[B] had [/B]you’ll notice the word [B]had[/B] was one of the worst
hdd’s I’ve ever seen it died on me several times. Had it replaced then replaced again
and the 3rd or 4th time it died I just tossed it in the trash can and this was all in less
than 1Yr. :a

If you will read the reviews on that 7200.12 there on newegg it really doesn’t look all
that much better than what the 7200.11 drives reviews were. I will say one thing for
sure about Seagate hdd’s I’ll more than likely never buy another one of them even if it
is almost free of charge. :disagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2518162]The Seagate 7200.11 1TB hdd I[B] had [/B]you’ll notice the word [B]had[/B] was one of the worst
hdd’s I’ve ever seen it died on me several times. Had it replaced then replaced again
and the 3rd or 4th time it died I just tossed it in the trash can and this was all in less
than 1Yr. :a

If you will read the reviews on that 7200.12 there on newegg it really doesn’t look all
that much better than what the 7200.11 drives reviews were. I will say one thing for
sure about Seagate hdd’s I’ll more than likely never buy another one of them even if it
is almost free of charge. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I did read the reviews, not so good. I will look for another hard drives.

Mr.Bill :iagree:

The 7200.11 was a bad drive, you needed to flash it with the correct firmware to be able to work without any issues, i still have my 500Gb and it’s working fine for the moment.
One more thing, all manufactures have bad drives, but most of the time they have a solution to fix the problem, or they take the disk back, so what you get is a matter of luck.

I had bad disk from maxtor/seagate and toshiba, bad i still have my old 8.4Gb wd and it’s working fine, but then again some of my friends had problems with wd, so get the one that fits your needs, i probably be getting a drive that works at 5400-5900rpm since it’s for back up.

I have this in a usb case and it works fine, plus the temperature is low, something that i really like on a hard drive.

[QUOTE=vroom;2518183]The 7200.11 was a bad drive, you needed to flash it with the correct firmware to be able to work without any issues, i still have my 500Gb and it’s working fine for the moment.
One more thing, all manufactures have bad drives, but most of the time they have a solution to fix the problem, or they take the disk back, so what you get is a matter of luck.

I had bad disk from maxtor/seagate and toshiba, bad i still have my old 8.4Gb wd and it’s working fine, but then again some of my friends had problems with wd, so get the one that fits your needs, i probably be getting a drive that works at 5400-5900rpm since it’s for back up.

I have this in a usb case and it works fine, plus the temperature is low, something that i really like on a hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Vroom

Mr. Bill :cool:

The worst drive I ever had was a true maxtor 120 gig I got at Fry’s as a spare as my other drives were pretty old and starting to fail. Eventually after about a year one finally died so I popped in the maxtor and after 6 months or so of actual use it started clicking and crashed the platters.
I think it would take a format after but I didn’t trust it and tossed it as the warranty was only a year from purchase and it was 1.5 years old.
I have had lots of drives and usually after about 5 years they die or start showing SMART errors and I replace them.
Best thing to do is just keep backups handy and buy whatever fits your needs and budget and hasn’t had a lot of recent issues.
3 of my in service drives are Seagate 7200.10 drives and so far they have been great, occasionally something will get scrambled on the OS drive but I think that’s operator error and just plain using a PC. So far any errors that crop up the OS has fixed on boot up and away I go again, and the last drive that did that was my new Western Digital server class 500 gig, I can’t say it was the drives fault as some of my programs don’t always play nice:disagree:
The others are the Seagates, 2 500’s and a 320, no issues so far.