Seagate buys Samsung's HDD operations; 3 majors remain

vbimport

Seagate buys Samsung’s HDD operations; 3 majors remain.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/04/N11KDw.jpg[/newsimage]Last month we watched as Western Digital acquired Hitachi’s hard drive business for several billion dollars, leaving only three additional key players in the HDD industry. Now, Seagate has announced their $1.375 billion purchase (half cash, half stock) of Samsung’s storage operations, leaving Toshiba as the only other major remaining competitor.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-buys-samsungs-hdd-operations-3-majors-remain-43361/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-buys-samsungs-hdd-operations-3-majors-remain-43361/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Note to Toshiba;
Step up production and introduce new models!
There are a great many of us who will not use a Seagate or WD product ever again!
Your market share is about to increase.

glad I got my samsung 500GB laptop drive last week

As is the case with most stories like this, I’m disappointed in the loss of competition.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2585247]Note to Toshiba;
Step up production and introduce new models!
There are a great many of us who will not use a Seagate or WD product ever again!
Your market share is about to increase.[/QUOTE]

Amen, Brother! I will never buy another Seagate hard drive. They are not even suitable for paper weights, IMO. I hate to see Samsung hit the skids. It was my HD make of choice, that is, until now.

[QUOTE=MrPete1985;2585299]glad I got my samsung 500GB laptop drive last week[/QUOTE]

I might have to step up and get a 2T Samsung HD before they become tainted with the stench of Seagate.

This is a distrubing trend. Though after the last merger, competition did get more competitive in the last cycle from 1 to 3 tb drives. As with most tech you have to wait and see what the actual outcome is… there isn’t much fewer companies can do to push up commodity prices. The demand for drives is relatively fixed. Just because drives get cheaper doesn’t spur MORE demand necessarily, however charging a higher price for longer will CUT demand in the discretionary PC market where consumers already dont buy the MOST EXPENSIVE & HIGH CAPACITY DRIVES right away (as soon as they are released). I think if there are fewer than 3 competitors then there will be a problem-- case in point: INTEL and AMD. Intel is looking to cannibalize any forthcoming tablet CPU makers by buying them up if they can-- will AMD?

there is currently far more competition in the SSD market.

With this being my first Toshiba Laptop and having it for 1 1/2 years now I will definitely buy another Toshiba. It has been a good computer and has performed well on everything I put it through. It was a gift and probably not what I would have chose. Mostly because it isn’t one of their “high end” laptops but I have no complaints. If this one works as well as it does I would think their higher end models would also perform at least as well.

TOSHIBA
Satellite L455

We have an old Toshiba laptop that just refuses to die. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one. I also have an Acer that has been trouble free for almost three years. IMO, Acer delivers some of the best bang-for-the-buck laptops on the market. Now Dell I am not so fond of and also any laptops using NVIDIA graphics.

Dell was my first laptop and I won’t have another one. I have an older Toshiba that I got out of a friends storage shed and all it needed was a hard drive and it runs XP just fine with only 512mb memory installed. I fixed it up and gave it to a friend who needed it.

Our Toshiba is one with a single core Celeron running at 1.4 ghz. It had 512mb of RAM but crawled running Windows 7. I found two 1gb SODIMMs on Craigs List and now it runs Windows 7 quite well if you don’t need much graphics capability. The hard drive was replaced a while ago. Heck I even upgraded the wireless card from a “b” card to an “n” card for $12 and it works like a champ. It is actually the fastest at transfering files wirelessly of any laptop in the house! Go figure.

This Toshiba is a Celeron Dual-Core CPU T3000 1.80GHz, 1795 Mhz, and it runs Windows 7 without blinking. Only thing I did was upgrade the memory to 4 GB from 2 GB. The older Toshiba is a Pentium IV and needs to have the RAM upgraded but that will come in time. My next computer will be a Toshiba regardless. I don’t impress easily but I have to admit with what I have experienced with Toshiba I couldn’t imagine how well their higher end models would perform. One day!

Bad News :a

who wants to start placing wagers on which one will snatch up toshiba’s hdd division first :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2586255]who wants to start placing wagers on which one will snatch up toshiba’s hdd division first :p[/QUOTE] Don’t you think that some anti-trust (anti-monopoly) agency would prevent such a deal leaving only two players in the HDD market?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2586279]Don’t you think that some anti-trust (anti-monopoly) agency would prevent such a deal leaving only two players in the HDD market?[/QUOTE]

probably not. maybe a couple years after they merge there will be an anti-trust investigation and one or both companies will be forced to split, but I doubt they will do anything to prevent it before they merge.