Seagate Barracuda 40 GB Hard Drive Prob

The problem I have with this drive is that my PC can see it, but I was attempting to transfer files to it though it froze and it’s an internal one so what I did is I decided to use Killdisk to completely erase the drive because there was nothing on it that I wanted to keep as I got it given to me. It just freezes - hlp!

Most drive manufacturers have diagnostic tools that you can download and run in order to check your drive. I think it would be a good idea to do this with your drive judging by your freezing problems.

For Seagate drives the applicable tool is: SeaTools

You might also want to check that the power and data cables are properly attached, and possibly try another data cable.

If you’re running your system overclocked, you should definitely return to default settings before running the diagnostics; overclocking a system (too much) can cause all sorts of problems including freezing and data corruption.

Thank you very much for your help and I’ll try it out when I’ve got more time, but I did manage to try it out a bit though when I got to the point where I can erase the drive it just hung like it did when I was using Killdisk. The power and data cables are properly attached because I used another hard drive on it and it worked so I know that’s not the problem. I don’t overclock the CPU and so it seems it’s a hardware issue with the actual hard drive itself not the system. I will post back but if you think it’s broke then let me no

I finally did a test with the SeaTools and it failed the Quick Test, but it said to try the long test so I did it was going all the way through it then when it hit around 89% it kept saying something like scan read error all the way through the rest of it from that percentage until it got to about the mid nineties mark whereupon it didn’t or couldn’t go past 99 errors where it said long test failed. Does this mean that this hard drive is no good then and it can’t be salvaged to be sure? Would firmware reflash?

[QUOTE=Mark Thompson;1918491] Does this mean that this hard drive is no good then and it can’t be salvaged to be sure? Would firmware reflash?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a dead drive to me.

[quote=CDan;1918546]Sounds like a dead drive to me.[/quote] Agreed. :iagree:

@Mark: Get another drive, transfer whatever data you can still retrieve from the old drive, and resist any temptation to use the old defective drive ever again - it’s just not worth it.

Depending on how/where/when it was purchased, it may be covered under Seagate’s 5-year warranty.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp

is where you can check. The serial number will be on a sticker on the drive, and some drive utilities can report it as well. If it is still under warranty, fill out an online RMA; don’t bother with calling them because they’re stupid.

(At least yours didn’t fail as spectacularly as my friend’s did. A chip exploded on his, and every time the system power was turned on, it shot out a jet of fire.)

Oh I forgot to thank you all for helping me out and we’ll say it’s broke.