Seagate announces 5 mm thin tablet HDD and recovery service

We’ve just posted the following news: Seagate announces 5 mm thin tablet HDD and recovery service[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/09/myce-seagate-ultra-mobile-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Seagate today announced a hard disk drive (HDD) with a capacity of 500 GB for usage in mobile devices and a service to recover data from HDDs and SSDs.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-announces-5-mm-thin-tablet-hdd-and-recovery-service-68693/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-announces-5-mm-thin-tablet-hdd-and-recovery-service-68693/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Sadly, there isn’t demand for this product… 99% of makers have long favored to have a hybrid system of internal, flash card and wireless access to hard drives. HD makers never could keep the cost metrics down for even the niche market like Archos, so they abandoned it altogether…

Lame ! I’m pretty sure the main reason my iPad survived the very hard fall it took a few years ago was because it has no moving parts. I wouldn’t want a HDD in a tablet.

What about heat?

There simply is NO market for miniature HDD’s anymore. Consumers are waiting with bated breath over the 5 & 6TB hard drives to be released! When tablets get 802.11ac all you need is wireless access to a networked external drive/array. That gives you access to terabytes of bandwidth and over 100 MB/Sec speeds (throughput) which is plenty for tablet use.

My tablet’s 802.11n currently maxes out @ 40 megabits because the radio typical link is 65 megabits… not 120 or 300. Plenty of improvements on that front need to happen to enable AC, for the time being they have to develop an energy efficient chipset to enable these higher speeds. routers currently consume 1.5 - 2 amps @ 12v JUST to route AC speeds. They need to get the consumption requirements to maybe 30% of stock chipsets.

CDan, heat? Wha-? You don’t want your notebook to bake cookies, pastries, Thanksgiving dinner? You think it’s a problem when they can be waved over ship’s hulls and the paint peels off? Or catch coach-seats on fire? Sheesh… kinda picky, yes?

TMC, there is a huge market. Coming. Next week, we’re all being converted into 4k and then 8k, and those downloads will only allow one TV episode per 500Gb. Gee - I hope it’s the one where Granny spies the giant jackrabbit.

Boy, I can Imagine the noise and increased power consumption that would result from something like this. Also, I seriously doubt that and hard drive could perform as quickly as a modern solid state chip. I can picture myself using most/all of my battery defragging the stupid thing. Boy, I sure do hope that Seagate’s defragger is at least a little better than the one that come built into XP.

Also, this “Rescue and Replace” plan sounds very much like a warranty. However, since digital-oriented corporations are becoming more and more unfriendly to the customer, it is perhaps inevitable that this be a subscription-based plan. Odds are, it’s probably meant to give Seagate as many excuses to not honor this plan as they could fit into one agreement.

This is getting kind of ridiculous… It looks sharp enough to cut your fingers on…

It seems the HDD industry continues to make their HDDs smaller and thinner and more like SSDs instead of making them faster and have more storage capacity. So it’s unlikely Seagate will make 15K RPM 4TB HDDs now.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2700286]So it’s unlikely Seagate will make 15K RPM 4TB HDDs now.[/QUOTE]

Which is more what desktop users would like to see. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler, yes. I want more and more capacity for desktops, and I’m seeing clients and friends needing more, too, especially since almost everyone is considering “cloud” to be threatening to privacy, to desires for their own entertainment on their own schedules, etc.

I do hope these will be 3.5" format, too. The baking surface on my Velociraptors is pretty tiny… Even with 6 of those, it’s tough to keep up with the milk when cookie-baking is limited to a half-dozen small ones per batch!

Actually, we were all waiting for the arrival of 10TB HDDs even if they come with 5-inch platters.

Ooh! 5.25" drives!! Uh, but wait… my milk mugs are only 4 inches wide. Cookies baked on those 5.25" drives would be, uh, too big!

Time to find some bigger milk mugs!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2700556]Ooh! 5.25" drives!! Uh, but wait… my milk mugs are only 4 inches wide. Cookies baked on those 5.25" drives would be, uh, too big!

Time to find some bigger milk mugs![/QUOTE]

4 inches sounds very big. How much milk do you drink?