Seagate announces 10 TB HDD lineup for consumers

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Seagate announces 10 TB HDD lineup for consumers[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/07/517ZBdCsJsL-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Seagate has unveiled three different 10TB HDDs models, a drive for the desktop usage, one for NAS usage and one developed for video surveillance. All drives are only available in a 3.5" form factor and feature Seagate’s MTC technology.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-announces-10-tb-hdd-lineup-consumers-79980/](http://www.myce.com/news/seagate-announces-10-tb-hdd-lineup-consumers-79980/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

256MB cache. Damn, that’s THREE times more cache than the total capacity of my first HDD. Capacities are getting ludicrous and long may the keep getting more ludicrous. :iagree:

Thanks for the link Dom. :smiley:

Two things destined for failure…

10 TB HDDs spin at 7,200 RPM.
Asking for trouble already. I like it if it was 5400rpm that will save the heads and drive wear.

The 10 TB Barracuda Pro is the HDD for desktop usage and it targeted at consumers.
Barracuda hasn’t had a good track record.

@biggles77 3 times? You are pretty much wrong. There is no a 85MB cache thing. Is FOUR times (64MB). Not three.

@coolcolors: keep in mind they use HELIUM, so it might not be the case (we all hope for).

[QUOTE=Gradius;2778275]@coolcolors: keep in mind they use HELIUM, so it might not be the case (we all hope for).[/QUOTE]
Doesn’t matter their track record for hardware is what will determine how Helium works. Bad hardware will not fix any new Helium.

I thought Seagate came out as the least reliable compared to WD and HGST. Â

[QUOTE=hogger129;2778286]I thought Seagate came out as the least reliable compared to WD and HGST.[/QUOTE]Not from my experience they used to be good until they did something to the hardware and forever ruined what they had going.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2778299]Not from my experience they used to be good until they did something to the hardware and forever ruined what they had going.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have three of their older drives:
250GB portable
1TB portable
1TB desktop

Of all three, only the 250 has gone belly up; but that drive is at least 5 years old and had seen heavy use for school.

@ GRADIUS “THREE times more cache than the total capacity of my first HDD” Obviously, his first HDD was 85MB. Not sure what you see wrong with his statement.

BTW, I’ve gotten good service out of four 500GB Barracudas (all still working) and, so far (for the last year or so), four 1TB Barracudas. All the Barracudas are VERY smooth & quiet, so I sure can’t complain. On the other hand, I’m running them in a RAID1 configuration, just in case. Â

I’ve used a handful of Seagate Barracudas, and they’ve worked quite well. I’ve also had external FreeAgent drives, all of which lasted a few months before dying. So, I guess I got lucky with the Barracudas I’ve used.

My advice is to get Seagate drives from retailers that offer good warranties (IDK what kind of warranties Seagate offers, but I’m not too confident in the quality of said warranties), and then test the heck out of them before storing important data on them. If they fail, that’s where the warranty comes in. I would probably store copies of whatever the heck you feel like putting on the HDDs, and then re-formatting them. Repeat this process for at least a few weeks, and see what happens.

pretty sure these are the first of the HELIUM wrapped HDD lineups… so they DEFINITELY have a FINITE lifetime… not sure if they still work if their environment is compromised, or that they work slower or less efficient. it’s a given that if they just up & die / become unusable in read and writing that is a big no no…
still, these drives are crazy expensive relative to how much HDD’s went for in the the lead up to 4 TB drives…
SSD is also laughing all the way to the bank as they trot out SMALL SSD’s not even a terabyte and people lap them up as main system drives! For me, it’s an AFFORDABLE (with DECENT read/write specs) 1tb drive or bust! and $200+ is NOT affordable IMO.

Right now the 8tb seagate 5400rpm is what I am using not that I want to but because they are just storage so they work fine until SSD can go 8tb. I’ll have to live with HDD having more space.

Just trying to get my head around the new forum software when I saw Gradius’ reply to my post. Maybe the font was a tad small or the light was dim and you couldn’t correctly read my post. I was comparing the cache on the present HDDs and the total capacity of my first HDD which was 85MB, (Eighty-Five MegaBytes), so Gradius, I was actually pretty much RIGHT!