Seagate 1.5TB for $154 at Newegg

vbimport

I’m tempted to buy a bunch right off the bat… but the reports of failures within a very short time makes me hesitatant. Maybe it’s innadequate packing and/or poor handling. UPS can certainly treat their packages like garbage.

Newegg does have a reputation for poor packaging on OEM hard drives. If you get the retail drives from them you won’t have such problems since the retail drives come from the manufacturer in those indestructible form-fit plastic cases—the ones where you need a chainsaw to get into them.

Yo kerry-

Isn’t that so true-eh!! :rolleyes:

I know we all have mixed feelings about TigerDIrect but they have the drive for $150.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&Sku=TSD-1500AS

@ Kerry56 … well i just recently got a ‘OEM’ Samsung 1TB hard drive from newegg for 109.99 and it’s packaging was ‘decent’ nothing i would call bad but i can see your point about RETAIL ones as they do have more packaging… but my OEM one was packed ‘well enough’ from what i can see :wink:

but anyways more on topic in general…

150-155 is getting pretty good for the top of the line 1.5TB single hard drive :wink: … but considering i got mine for 109.99 out the door for a 1TB i dont think the 1.5TB is all that much better although if you look at the prices the 1.5TB is more space for your money but not to much better… but if the 1.5TB was around 129.99 i would say it’s definitely a better deal than getting a 1TB hard drive for 109.99 or even 99.99.

If the drive got there in one piece and is working well it has to count as “good enough” NBR. :slight_smile:

I’ve just read reports about Newegg and their handling of OEM drives for years now—at least 5yrs of complaints. Most of the time it comes through ok or they wouldn’t continue shipping them that way, but every now and again someone gets bitten.

The 1TB drives are getting down to a price point that is tempting—if I had any “money for toys” left this month! :bigsmile: This particular 1.5tb Seagate is more than I want to spend for a drive though.

Following up on this drive, the review at Tech Report is less than glowing. Here is a link to their conclusion: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15730/12

And there are reports of the drive freezing up: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15837

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2152056]If the drive got there in one piece and is working well it has to count as “good enough” NBR. :slight_smile:

I’ve just read reports about Newegg and their handling of OEM drives for years now—at least 5yrs of complaints. Most of the time it comes through ok or they wouldn’t continue shipping them that way, but every now and again someone gets bitten.

[B]The 1TB drives are getting down to a price point that is tempting—if I had any “money for toys” left this month! :bigsmile: This particular 1.5tb Seagate is more than I want to spend for a drive though.[/B][/QUOTE]

i agree, cause typically speaking i figure around 100 dollars for a hard drive is roughly the max ill go (usually 115 out the door, MAX! , like i said before i got the Samsung 1TB for 109.99 out the door on newegg a week or so ago) cause i figure that’s usually the sweet spot between massive size at a reasonable price… going to much over the 100 dollar mark usually price skyrockets with minimal boosts in space… although that 1TB to 1.5TB was a pretty big gap :wink:

but yeah i agree 150ish is a tad steep… but i guess it seems like the Samsung 1TB and others are almost 10-20 dollars more now than what i paid for it a week or so ago… so @ 119.99 or 129.99 for 1TB … you might as well pay the extra 20 or so and get a pretty big storage spike … although it’s pricey but in my opinion if your going to use the space i figure it would almost be stupid to get a 1TB for about 129.99 vs a 1.5TB for 150… cause 20 bucks more and you get 500GB more space… but seeing as how i got mine for 109.99 vs 150-155 … that’s to the point where overall i would rather not pay the extra to get the 1.5TB cause even though technically it might be a ‘slightly’ better deal than the 1TB … it aint by much and up front cost are out of my 100 dollar-ish rule of thumb.

just some thoughts :wink:

I rather get 3, 500Gb instead, as if one goes bad you have the other two, but with one big drive the whole thing is lost if it breaks. Also probably there is more chance of a 1.5TB to break than a 500GB. The only draw back is space (that is if you have a smaller case).

[QUOTE=fairplay;2152955]I rather get 3, 500Gb instead, as if one goes bad you have the other two, but with one big drive the whole thing is lost if it breaks. Also probably there is more chance of a 1.5TB to break than a 500GB. The only draw back is space (that is if you have a smaller case).[/QUOTE]

to me i would rather not do that just cause you got 3 physical drives which burns up more space inside your PC case and once you fill those … BAM, you gotta get more hard drives and i figure your typical (mid size) PC case cant hold more than maybe 4-5 HDD’s tops.

but besides that i would agree as if one fails you aint out of alot of data so that’s one of the plus’s with doing what you said… but on the negative side having 3 hard drives vs 1 hard drive… more weight to PC / more power consumption / and future upgrades you will most likely have to remove at least one of the 500GB hard drives to make room for larger ones.

but… maybe im lucky but in general i never had a hard drive fail on me besides a 40GB IBM hard drive and i have had a moderate amount of hard drives since 1995-1996 when i first got into PC’s.

but where you said “there is more chance of a 1.5TB to break than a 500GB” … i dont think that’s a legitimate argument unless the 1.5TB hard drive has alot more platters in it vs a 500GB hard drive or something more complex that im not aware of… cause my 1TB Samsung hard drive only has 3 platters in it which is 1 to 2 less vs all other 1TB hard drives… as im pretty sure Seagate has 4 and Western Digital has 4 and Hitachi’s version of 1TB has 5 platters.

bottom line for me is… i would rather take the larger hard drive so you dont run out of space and i figure as long as you already have at least a total of 2 hard drives in your PC… you aint got to much to worry about since if one dies your PC wont be out of order til you get another hard drive since you can just put you OS (operating system) on the other one.

so i would rather take the risk of the larger hard drive failing then worry about running out of space inside my case and being forced to remove other older hard drives to make room for newer and large capacity ones… plus i usually always keep a backup of my important data on recordable dvd’s so even if the 1TB hard drive fails that i have… worst case scenario is i spend alot of time restoring the data to it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2152078]Following up on this drive, the review at Tech Report is less than glowing. Here is a link to their conclusion: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15730/12

And there are reports of the drive freezing up: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15837[/QUOTE]

yeah, soon after posting I read all the reports on seagate’s forum and elsewhere. It appears that drives with firmware SD37 are ok but other earlier versions with v. SD16, SD17, etc. are not. They finally admitted the issue on pg 11 of

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&thread.id=2390&view=by_date_ascending&page=11

[I]“Unfortunately this really isn’t a solution since there is currently no fimrware update. And we do not stock drives by firmware so we can’t even replace them for that revision. I can say that newer drives are not going to have this issue going forward it would appear and I suspect it won’t be long until we have an available update.”[/I]

So you can take your chances now and hope for a drive with newer firmware or wait…

[QUOTE=dreamliner77;2151882]I know we all have mixed feelings about TigerDIrect but they have the drive for $150.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&Sku=TSD-1500AS[/QUOTE]

Newegg has also lowered the price on their 1.5TB Seagate drive to $149.99 + Free shipping.
I was contemplating on getting about 3 of these drives to go with my 1TB Seagate but with
reading all of the bad reviews on them so far I’ve just decided to wait a while longer until the
drives that are shipping out has the newer SD37 FW on them like what it says in the post made
by jimveta that SD37 is supposed to clear up the problem. I’ll wait until the reviews start coming
in after the SD37 drives hit the market and see how well it does with the new FW.

Not to give a history lesson… about what hard drives USED to cost $$… these prices are amazing considering where they’ve been even in recent memory… as in $200-500 price range for a top of the line drive. I’ll grant you that some of the OEM drives will only do 1yr warranty so you get what you pay for… as the saying goes. Still, unfortunately, I’ll have to say that it doesn’t do your system specs any good to go with a top of the line drive as your increasing read/write bottleneck performance. You would not want anything above a 1tb drive as your primary… until they can get 1.0 - 1.5tb drives performing similar to 7200/10,000 rpm 750gb drives… we all need to take a pause from being about to brag about the biggest HD. I know it’s sad to say it, but my system still has 250gb & 400gb sata drives installed. :slight_smile: and those were between $99-199 in their day. Eventually, they’ll die and I’ll have 2tb+ sata2 drives to look forward to…