Se-s204n

Hi guys sorry if this has been asked, I tried searching but couldn’t find much.

Is the Samsung SE-204N a SH-203B inside an enclosure?

Basically I have the SH-203B but at the moment its connected to a SATA to USB2 converter. Its not an enclosure more like a small box with the chipset in with the sata connected to it.

While some burns are great others fall short of what I expect from this drive. I used it in my pc before I got a laptop and it always did great.

So im now looking for a USB2 external writer instead of trying to find a sata enclosure.

Since im a big fan of samsung I was looking at the S204N but my searches for burn quality and how well the drive performs overall have came up empty.

Does anyone have this and know how well it performs?

Your best options is to purchase a SATA inclosure for your drive. Check Frys.com for some good deals going on now! Good luck

[QUOTE=THE C.;1937381]Your best options is to purchase a SATA inclosure for your drive. Check Frys.com for some good deals going on now! Good luck[/QUOTE]

Well the site doesn’t appear to be working very well, the main page came up then it timed out.

Also im in england which is the main reason I just want a usb2 drive. I can pick the s204n up for £35.

I cant seem to find many shops stocking good 5.25 enclosures in the uk they are all in america. Anyone know of any?

Hi,[QUOTE=OblivionX;1937376]Hi guys sorry if this has been asked, I tried searching but couldn’t find much. [/quote]ahem… :wink:

Is the Samsung SE-204N a SH-203B inside an enclosure?
No, since the 203B supports no lightscribe.
There are indications that the 204N is a 203N connected via some SATA/USB interface:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/just-got-ls-se-204n-231647/

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1937414]Hi,ahem… :wink:
No, since the 203B supports no lightscribe.
There are indications that the 204N is a 203N connected via some SATA/USB interface:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/just-got-ls-se-204n-231647/

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ah didn’t actual notice the lightscribe feature on the site I was looking at. Aint really important to me.

Well I will see if anyone replies who has the drive so they can give me a review on it.

The 203n seems like a good drive but if the sata/usb interface isnt great the 204n might not be a good option.

Hi,[QUOTE=OblivionX;1937433]The 203n seems like a good drive but if the sata/usb interface isnt great the 204n might not be a good option.[/QUOTE]The SATA/USB interface used in retail external drives from the drive manufacturer(!) is optimised to give maximum performance and compatibility with the drive connected. I seriously doubt there is any self-built (or 3rd party) combination that can cope with that.

If the performance of such a unit is still poor, then the USB interface of your own computer is the culprit.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1937446]Hi,The SATA/USB interface used in retail external drives from the drive manufacturer(!) is optimised to give maximum performance and compatibility with the drive connected. I seriously doubt there is any self-built (or 3rd party) combination that can cope with that.

If the performance of such a unit is still poor, then the USB interface of your own computer is the culprit.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yeah it would be odd if it didn’t work since it will have been tested quite thoroughly. I will just go with it I think.

My usb interface should be fine its the ICH8 chipset.

[QUOTE=OblivionX;1937433]The 203n seems like a good drive but if the sata/usb interface isnt great the 204n might not be a good option.[/QUOTE]

I have a S203B hooked up on an external enclosure running eSATA and it will burn
just as good / fast as the S203B’s that I have inside the system. It will burn right along
at 20x just like the internal drives will and when I tried it with the USB 2 connection it
would burn about 18x faithfully but 20x was more or less a no go. :wink: