SE-S184M Suddenly not being recognized

vbimport

I bought Samsung External DVD-writer (model SE-S184M) about a couple of months ago. At the time of initial installation, I had a hell of a time getting my PC to recognize it. It eventually did, although I do not know how (forgive my relative “noobness”).

Long and short: I’ve been successfully backing up my DVDs for the past two months, the most recent just a couple of days ago. I went to backup another DVD today and my PC no longer recognizes it. I’ve restarted my PC a few times, restarted the device even more times and still no luck. I just keep getting this:

USB Device Not Recognized - One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance…” Clicking the message doesn’t do squat - as I’m sure you guys already know.

I just want to be able to use my DVD-Writer without this problem coming up anymore. Here are my specs:

Dell Dimension w/Windows XP Home Ed. (w/Service Pack 2)
Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz
0.99 GB of RAM

Let me know if there’s anything else you need to know in order to help with this. Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

could you try the drive with another computer? Just to sort out if there is an issue with the drive or with your system.

Michael

Yeah, not a problem. You’ll have to give me a couple of days, though. I don’t plan on going back to work this weekend. As soon as I do that, I’ll let you know what happened.

Okay. If the drive fails there, too, then it is time to return if it is still under warranty.

Michael