SE-506AB questions

vbimport

I’ve bought a Samsung SE-506AB version TS01. Is this the latest firmware for it or are there any custom firmwares for it? And how would I know if my drive/firmware is rpc1 or 2?

TSO1 appears to be the latest. You can keep an eye on it here. If you have Imgburn, just go to “discover” mode, select that drive in the drive drop-down box, then up in the menu bar Tools>drive>regional code>information.

Adding to deanwitty’s reply: all drives made within the last 8 or so years have been RPC2*. Not sure if there will ever be a way to make a BD drive RPC1. The focus on such tweaks --and tweaks in general-- seems to have disappeared.

*: accuracy of that statement not verified, but pretty much true

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2661831]TSO1 appears to be the latest. You can keep an eye on it here. If you have Imgburn, just go to “discover” mode, select that drive in the drive drop-down box, then up in the menu bar Tools>drive>regional code>information.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info dean. Just out of curiosity, are bd-writers capable of flashing back to original/previous firmware?

By the way, good news. I bought a Samsung SE-506AB yesterday and I managed to successfully burn one of my CMCMAG-BA5 discs. Hopefully now the discs I bought in SA won’t all be coasters.

[QUOTE=Albert;2661833]Adding to deanwitty’s reply: all drives made within the last 8 or so years have been RPC2*. Not sure if there will ever be a way to make a BD drive RPC1. The focus on such tweaks --and tweaks in general-- seems to have disappeared.

*: accuracy of that statement not verified, but pretty much true[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info Albert. What actually is the difference between rpc1 and rpc2?

I point you to an older post: http://club.myce.com/f34/rpc1-rpc2-150215/

I must say, RPC is only effective with pressed DVD media that has been region-locked. Other formats (CD, BD) do not fall under the RPC scheme as we know it, but may implement other protection schemes.