SCSI ID assignments and SATA drives

vbimport

I have a 6-drive CD autoloaer with Plextor IDE burners hooked up with firewire cables and have IDE to firewire bridgeboard converters on the backs of the drives. The sortware the autoloader uses relies on the SCSI ID assignments of the drives rather than drive letters. I have found the bridgeboard converters result in the SCSI IDs swapping everytime the PC is rebooted. Some manufactures of bridegboards seem to be worse than others as far as the swapping.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed if systems with multiple SATA drives also swap SCSI IDs frequently or if the IDs are stable? Would SATA drives be better or worse than IDE/firewire drives in a multiple drive setup in your opinion?

By the way, each drive is burning from a different “master” at the same time - as opposed to just a CD duplicator where all 6 drives are copying the same master. Thats why I have to make sure each drive’s ID is assigned correctly at startup.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! thanks

What has SCSI/LUN to do with SATA or firewire???

The Goldenhawk burn software identifies each drive according to it’s SCSI ID.

Ah, but the enclosure is an SCSI one then?!

[quote=chef;2048345]Ah, but the enclosure is an SCSI one then?![/quote]Actuall all 6 enclosed drives in the Autoloader are IDE buners, which are connected with firewire cables through adapters.

That is a freaking combo. I would be surprised if that would work, but would be nice.

All - Windows assigns pseudo-SCSI-IDs to all connected disks/drives. Firewire, IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB, etc.

MC99 - Are the drives always connected to the mainboard and powered up before (or at the same time as) the mainboard?

Edit: I’d also like to hear more about the equipment.

-brendan

brendan - you have a lot of good info on your wiki. I’ll have to look into it this weekend. thanks!

I have a couple PC controlled MediaTechnics Fushion 6-drive autoloaders, and some older 6-drive Fortuna models.

The drives/autoloader are always connected, and usually powered up at the same time as Windows, although I could start up Windows first. If I shuffle the power on the Autoloader/drives without rebooting the PC, I’ve found that some firewire bridgeboard brands are more likely to cause the SCSI IDs to swap than others. Some bridgeboards also won’t work with newer plextor drives (240A and forward for example) either.

I was leaning towards upgrading to SATA drives this year because of the less bulky/messy cable setup. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried SATA with software that relies on SCSI IDs.

[QUOTE=MC99;2058803]brendan - you have a lot of good info on your wiki. I’ll have to look into it this weekend. thanks!

I have a couple PC controlled MediaTechnics Fushion 6-drive autoloaders, and some older 6-drive Fortuna models.[/QUOTE]

Ah, me too, me too. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MC99;2058803]The drives/autoloader are always connected, and usually powered up at the same time as Windows, although I could start up Windows first. If I shuffle the power on the Autoloader/drives without rebooting the PC, I’ve found that some firewire bridgeboard brands are more likely to cause the SCSI IDs to swap than others. Some bridgeboards also won’t work with newer plextor drives (240A and forward for example) either.[/QUOTE]

So the SCSI IDs keep switching up, but the drive letters always stay the same?

[QUOTE=MC99;2058803]I was leaning towards upgrading to SATA drives this year because of the less bulky/messy cable setup. I just wanted to see if anyone had tried SATA with software that relies on SCSI IDs.[/QUOTE]

Not me, not yet.

-brendan

Yes, the drive letters stay the same. So if I switch to Nero, the SCSI IDs won’t matter anyway.

Occasionally a drive will ‘disappear’ from the system because of loose cable connections with the bridgeboards. If that happens, it will definately swap SCSI IDs.

I have a custom setup where each drive is burning separate content, so the drives aren’t just duplicating one master. And when they swap, content gets burned onto the wrong disc.

[QUOTE=MC99;2060052]Yes, the drive letters stay the same. So if I switch to Nero, the SCSI IDs won’t matter anyway.

Occasionally a drive will ‘disappear’ from the system because of loose cable connections with the bridgeboards. If that happens, it will definately swap SCSI IDs.

I have a custom setup where each drive is burning separate content, so the drives aren’t just duplicating one master. And when they swap, content gets burned onto the wrong disc.[/QUOTE]

I’m fairly certain that this is a bug in microsoft’s implementation of mapping the sbp2 devices to the pseudo-scsi device arrangement. So far I haven’t found documentation of this or a workaround.

-brendan