SCSI DVD-ROM Reader slow accessing DVDs

vbimport

I’m having problems with my DVD-ROM taking an extremely long time reading a DVD when I first insert it in the drive. After I insert a DVD, the drive light goes on and the drive spins up, but it takes minutes (!) before I can start playing a DVD or before I can access data. Sometimes programs time out before they can read the disk. This is happening with commercial DVD Movies, as well as data DVDs that I’ve burned.

I’ve got a Toshiba SD-M1201 DVD-ROM (updated firmware) on an Adaptec 2940U PCI SCSI controller. The DVD-ROM drive is ID 0, terminated, parity is enabled, and it’s the only device on the Bus. The SCSI controller is auto-terminated. Currently Digital CD Audio is enabled and Autoplay is disabled. Changing either of these settings has no effect.

I’m running Windows XP SP1 on a 1 GHz Intel Pentium III Processor with 1 GB of RAM. I have another DVD drive (Lite-On SOHW-812S) on my IDE interface, and I can run all of the same DVDs and data discs on that with no problem.

If someone can point me in the right direction here, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks.

Have you had this device for awhile and it just started acting up, or is this the first time you are using it?

Had it for awhile, but didn’t really use it much, so problem could have existed all this time. One other thing I did to try and address the problem was to enable the parity jumper, previously the jumper was uncapped. Didn’t seem to make a difference, but I’m having a hard time finding info about whether or not parity should (or shouldn’t) be enabled with this setup.

It’s entirely possible that the DVD-ROM drive is dying on you… if the drive worked fine before and nothing has changed, those symptons are often a sign of a dying drive. ( on an IDE setup anyway).
Sorry, I’ve never used SCSI devices before so I can’t offer any more specific thoughts than that.