Scsi controller for plex 40

When i start up my computer, the light on the plextor keeps on blinking, no cd is found when i enter one and the writer is not responding when i try to read the cd.

does anyone knows how i can solve this problem?

Originally posted by leuske
[B]When i start up my computer, the light on the plextor keeps on blinking, no cd is found when i enter one and the writer is not responding when i try to read the cd.

does anyone knows how i can solve this problem? [/B]

I guess your drive isn’t in warranty anymore,otyerwhise I’d send it to Plextor,'cause I think it’s dead…I had the same issue with a Yamaha 2100e…and it was definetely dead…

Bye

Does your PSU deliver enough power ?

Try connecting the powercable from the CDwriter to the HD and otherwise !

Hello guys,
I would like to know which type of SCSI controller would be necessary to use"fully" the Plex40ts.
I saw that there are many types, and prices are very differentbut unfortunately I don’t understand anything, I have never had a Scsi device and now I was thinking if “replace” my dvdrom( I have never seen a dvd).
Greetings.
:slight_smile:

Virtually any scsi-card that’s sold nowadays will do fine.

I would suggest an older type, since you won’t need the high speed that’s offered for harddisks (like the U-160-adapters).
A faster card usually has a 64pin connector, and the Plex has an older 50pin connector, so it would be a waste of money to buy a fast card with an expensive 64pin -> 50pin cable.
Try finding one of the old adaptec’s, like the 2940.
20Mb/sec adapter is fast enough, since 40x is only 150Kb/sec x 40speed = 6Mb/sec. So even a 10Mb-adapter would be fine, but I don’t think you’ll find one of those :slight_smile:

If you are planning to buy more SCSI-devices (like harddiscs) in the future, I would recommend the Adaptec 160Mb/sec, but no need for this speed if you only want to attach the Plex.

Adaptec basically wrote the book on SCSI, you can’t go wrong with one of their host adapters. A CDR is not very fast, so just a basic SCSI-2 or Ultra-SCSI adapter will work fine. No need for Wide-SCSI or Ultra-Wide, or U160.

If you want to be able to boot from the CD, you’ll need an adapter with built-in BIOS. If you don’t want to boot from the CD, you can get a cheaper adapter without BIOS.

I put a SCSI adapter in my computer for the tape backup. I spent about $20 US on a unit by Tekram, without BIOS. Works great. Tekram makes adapters with or without the BIOS, as well as the wide and high speed stuff, and they’re less expensive than Adaptec.

You can check your Plextor’s blinking codes here to find out what’s wrong with it.

HTH.