SCSI CD-rom Drive

vbimport

I’ve got a question…I have Windows XP Pro and a Biostar A880G+ mobo…am I able to use a SCSI CD-rom drive and if so is it better to go internal or external?

Thanks

:slight_smile:

I wouldn’t think internal or external would matter. Do you have a SCSI controller card and appropriate cables to go with the cd rom drive? Does the controller have drivers for XP?

Is there a reason to go with this type of drive over the easily available and dirt cheap IDE or SATA or usb connected optical drives?

Thanks for the response.

Pretty much just curiosity because I’ve got one. I am probably going to have to buy the controller card and cables unless I’ve got them laying around. The drivers could probably be had buy a google search.

I was just wondering if it would really matter if I used it in my system…if it would cause any problems and what not.

The cost of the controller card and cables will probably be more than a modern drive.

I’ve used a SCSI controller card and equipment on an XP system in the past and had no issues, but it wasn’t an optical drive. It shouldn’t be a problem, but there really isn’t a good reason to go that route unless you have an extraordinary drive.

Add to what people have said above that old SCSI drive will read doisks poorly compared to a more modern drive AND unless you have a cache of the old
sapphire blue CD-R discs it won’t burn anything other than coasters.

I methodically and thoughtfully scrapped my collection of SCSI drives
about a year ago.

I had two or three milk crates full of SCSI drives and the only thing I saved were all the jumpers… until I had an Altoids tin full of them then I stopped

The IDE drives that weren’t labeled as CD-RW “Ultra speed” went the same day.

[QUOTE=JetrellFo1969;2643570]I’ve got a question…I have Windows XP Pro and a Biostar A880G+ mobo…am I able to use a SCSI CD-rom drive and if so is it better to go internal or external?
[/QUOTE]

You’re better off getting yourself a good SATA Blu-ray Burner. SCSI Drives are a thing of the past. :cool:

Thanks for all the tips…I just thought it would be something to play around with…for old time sake, ya know.

:wink:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2643581]You’re better off getting yourself a good SATA Blu-ray Burner. [B]SCSI Drives are a thing of the past[/B]. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt say that.

If your controller works then grab a dead-cheap drive via ebay and set it up.
SCSI optical drives may be old and “outdated” for some, but they are solid proof and well made - anyone with scsi knowledge knows that.