Screen recording for DVD or VCD

Hi,

I’m a newbie to the forum but I’m quite adept at software (I’m an IT student so I’m also becoming more adept).

I want to record full screen movies of what’s happening on my monitor, in sufficient quality that I can burn them to a DVD, or at least a VCD.

I want this for two purposes:

1. To record ‘tutorial’ style videos that can be watched anywhere, and
  2. To record some animated webcasts, especially the ones on this page, for offline viewing.

I’ve been all over the net looking for programs or guides but I’ve found nothing that actually works. Any help (even “I guess maybe…” ideas) greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Camtasia Studio. The trial is fully functional and works for 30 days. After that it is $299.

Looks great, but thats way way out of my price range for longterm use. And HD is definitely unnecessary. Anyone know of a free or cheap alternative? I’m Australian so if another Australian knows something off-the-shelf then thats great.

TechSmith, the makers of Camtasia Studio, have a couple of other, less expensive programs that can capture video. I have one of them, called Snagit, but I use it for still picture captures, so I don’t know how good the quality is for video captures with this program. It captures in avi format.
Snagit also has a free trial, and is $49.95 after the trial expires.

The Camtasia Studio is a good screen recording software that you could try the trial version…

My blog

There is Debut Video Capture Software, which is free but…

Thanks to all! Debut looks really good, especially for the price (nothing), and if I’m not satisfied I’ll at least have some understanding of the style of software and be able to go straight onto the Camtasia Studio demo.

If you search google,you’re maybe still able to find an older TechSmith’s exclusive offer:
a while ago,they gave away Camtasia Studio version 3 as teaser,and offered a discount of 50% for the upgrade to their latest version…
Version 3 doesn’t properly support Vista …