Scratches N' Discs

vbimport

One thing discs of any kind ultimately suffer is scratches. Regardless of how anal I am about handling my discs, they always seem to somehow manage to collect scratches. What ways are there to (affordably) treat scratches? Machines?

Has anyone ever tried floor wax? I’ve done it once to a dvd with limited improvment, and I’ve used it on my eye glasses with great improvment. What about that stuff specifically for eye glasses? Has anyone tried that on disc scratches?

Just curious.
G.

You might take a look at these threads:

CDs are extremely tolerant of scratches, DVDs less so but still pretty tolerant.

BDs are extremely intolerant, in fact even a barely perceptible ding can render it unreadable. There’s no fix for BDs, you buy a new one. Fortunately they are hard to scratch.

I have a hard time justifying any efforts to “treat” scratches on CD/DVD. If the disc is still readable, just make a backup. If it’s not still readable, maybe a polisher will help and maybe not.

Better suggestion: if your environment is conducive to scratching discs, start by making a HDD or optical backup as soon as you buy it. Eliminate shiny discs and watch/listen to everything from HDD.

[QUOTE=CDan;2687521]CDs are extremely tolerant of scratches[/QUOTE]…on the bottom side. CDs are extremely vulnerable to scratches on the top side (close to the data layer).

Ideally, yes, till you end up like me with a brand new HDD, chocked full of movies and videos, with “inpage operation errors”. Ideally, I’ll get a scan converter and pipe movies from the comp to my ancient big screen and watch thata way.

I’ll be glad when they come up with solid state memories resembling a cube of glass, with so much space that it is passed from father to son for generations to come.

[I](Gaary, watch out! Next thing you’ll ponder is a stone tablet and chisel for data longevity!)[/I]

It might be helpful to remember that a BluRay’s laser is incredibly more precise (smaller wavelength) than a DVD’s which is many more times precise than a CD’s laser. These wavelengths are smaller, finer, more precise so they can etch their version of bits & bytes into smaller physical spacings, too.

A scratch is a scratch.

But the fineness (the much higher precision requirements for reading and burning) make scratches probably exponentially impactful (not just simple multipliers).

The discussions of waxes and cleaners is amazing because I’d be skeptical of any add-on layering that wasn’t exactly the same molecular alignment and composition of the original plastic layer. I’d think “light diffusion” would be too scattered with added on layers like a cleaner or ‘scratch filler’ might present.

Well… maybe my tests with guacamole and peanut butter weren’t the best proving grounds for my theories. Perhaps… probably…

[I]“What about TWO African swallows - ?”[/I]

Exponential. Interesting. Good word. That might be why that seemingly minor scratch on an otherwise new DVD causes it to screw up.

Although the article referenced said he had tried toothpaste, which is essentially the same thing as ultra-fine grit paper, I wonder why it wasn’t good enough? In the meantime, rubbing compound for cars comes to mind. It is designed to strip off a thin layer of paint. Also, I’ve used some good motorcycle polish for wind screens and helmet shields (boats, too). Optical quality.

You want a polishing compound instead of rubbing compound.
Finer grit.
Anything that has wax should be well cleaned off.
That is what the denatured alcohol will do .
Isopropyl alcohol if you want it cheaper but not as good of a solvent.

IMO, best way to deal with scratched BURNED discs is if the content is important back it up before you play the disc. In my experience, burned discs have much more problems with scratches than factory pressed.

One other thing I’ve found (though this requires a set top recorder or at least a sound card with a digital input) is that the OLD $35 Cyberhome 500 DVD Players do the best job of ANY player or burner I’ve ever tried of reading trashed cd’s &/or dvd’s (burned or factory). The Cyberhome is my last resort, as especially for video there’s going to be an extra a/d d/a conversion. For audio only, it does have an sdpif audio output. They’re really common at Pawnshops.

I actually called (or was it emailed?) them years ago asking if any pc drive used the same transport, but being Chinese they didn’t understand the question (not meant as a slur to Chinese people; meant as language difficulties)

Good point. I tend to forget that the store bought are pressed, not burned.

Hah! The pawn shop was the first thing that came to my mind when you said that. There’s one right around the corner where I live, too.

Now, speaking of “burning”, well I got a goofy idea that just might work: flame polishing. I used to do this to plexiglas edges and corners when I made plexi furniture and stuff. It’s tricky, but if you do it right, it gives a glass-like surface. Trouble is, I don’t have a torch or heat gun. hmmm… What happens to a disc when it gets hot? They don’t go all goofy like a record, do they? I don’t think so. I would think that if you put a disc on a metal turntable and lightly grazed it from the side with flame, it might make it all smooth again. I’ll have to experiment. :bigsmile:

Due to a recent car wreck, I now own a different car with a very proprietary stereo with a 6 disc changer, which is GUARANTEED to scratch the crap out of cd’s. It’s so proprietary, that just the KIT to make a regular player fit is $350 + labor & the cost of the new player. So…

I’ve got several hundred junk blank cdr’s from a mistake I made on ebay a couple years ago. Finally found a use for them. The changer scratches 'em so bad that I’ve had 2 that skipped on 1st play! But as I have hundreds of these garbage Ritek blanks… I figure I can burn them, play them a few times, & toss 'em.

Thing that that surprised me a little was I have about 50 Falcon’s left with the “diamond scratch proof surface”. These have also been mediocre discs, but I thought, “here’s a use for them”. Guess what; the scratch proof disc I tried in the changer got more scratched than the Riteks & was 1 big skip!

Too bad they can’t make discs out of Pyrex. That’d fix 'em. All we’d have to do is learn not to drop 'em. They need to come up with a mechanism that would take the disc right out of the container and load it straight into the deck and vice versa.

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2688622]Too bad they can’t make discs out of Pyrex. That’d fix 'em. All we’d have to do is learn not to drop 'em. They need to come up with a mechanism that would take the disc right out of the container and load it straight into the deck and vice versa.[/QUOTE]
A lot of the earlier drives used caddies That’s sort of like a container that the drive had to pull the disk out of.