Scratch resistant CDrs: lots of questions

Hello,

Newbie here. :cool:

I have several questions pertaining to scratch resistant CDrs.

1.) I understand that paper labels are a big no-no. However, would an acid free paper CD label be OK to use with a scratch resistant CD surface? I mean how much safer is that than using it with standard CDrs?

2.) Where can I buy CDrs with protective coating on BOTH sides of the disc? Which brands would you suggest?

3.) “Scratch-less” brand CDs. I heard allot about them in 2005, but there’s hardly any further info about them on the internet or places that sell the discs. What happened to them?

Thanks. Don’t kill the newbie. :slight_smile:

Atal

First off Welcome to the forum Atal
I can answer the first question for you but since I hardly ever use CD’s I can
not be much help on questions 2 and 3

1.) I understand that paper labels are a big no-no. However, would an acid free paper CD label be OK to use with a scratch resistant CD surface? I mean how much safer is that than using it with standard CDrs?

In a word [U][B]NO [/B][/U]it would not be safe to use any kind of paper labels acid free or not even on scratch resistant Cd’s as the
heat generated from reading and then the cooling would still cause problems with having a paper label on there causing
the disc to warp out of shape and become unreadable over time. :iagree:

[quote=Atal;2223298]1.) I understand that paper labels are a big no-no. However, would an acid free paper CD label be OK to use with a scratch resistant CD surface? I mean how much safer is that than using it with standard CDrs?[/QUOTE] Paper labels are evil, acid or no acid. Avoid them like the plague.

2.) Where can I buy CDrs with protective coating on BOTH sides of the disc? Which brands would you suggest?
I have no idea.

Although I have seen CD-R with scratch resistant data side announced, I have never ever seen any of the shops I check have such media.

There are some CD-R with added protection of the top (label) side, however. The top side on CD-R media is much more important to protect than the top side on DVD media, since the reflective layer and data layer are at the top of the disc instead of in the middle.

Some CD-R with added protection:

Verbatim Azo (or Super Azo) "Crystal"
Verbatim Pastel Extra Protection (hard to find at the moment)
Verbatim Extra Protection (quality not as predictable)

3.) “Scratch-less” brand CDs. I heard allot about them in 2005, but there’s hardly any further info about them on the internet or places that sell the discs. What happened to them?
I have no idea.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Hey.

Thanks allot for answering my questions.

I am surprised by the defects of paper labels. I have CDrs that have them (had em for years now) and they still play fine.

Also, the problem here is that I’m in the USA and allot of these scratchless discs are being sold in the UK or somewhere else in Europe. What can I find here in the USA besides Imation?

I have a couple more questions:

1.) Where (in the USA) can I buy scratch resistant CDrs with solid black surfaces (i.e. no company logo at the top).

2.) I may buy some Imation scratchless CDs, however, understanding the problem with paper labels, I want to have the tops thermal printed (I don’t have the money to buy a printer!). Is there a place online that I can send them to to have them specially done?

3.) I may buy these standard black on black CDrs:
http://cdrack.stores.yahoo.net/000cdstbkbk.html
http://cdrack.stores.yahoo.net/0000cdstsbk.html

Do they hold up?

4.) I am printing an album in about 100 copies. I want a standard CDr that will hold up under the stress & tear that CDrs usually go through. Which do you suggest?

and lastly.

5.) CDrs tend to scuff/scratch on the bottom surface easier than pro CDs. Are scratchless CDrs like Imation any better at deflecting abuse on this reading side?

Thanks for not killing the newbie. :slight_smile:

The top side on CD-R media is much more important to protect than the top side on DVD media, since the reflective layer and data layer are at the top of the disc instead of in the middle.
This is a key point. One of the reasons I tend to avoid silver-topped CD media these days.

I recommend avoiding using paper labels on anything - if you have not yet had problems, it’s primarily good luck.

Thermal printers are expensive (well most of them are) so it’s no surprise you can’t afford them, however, as far as I know, Epson do sell some inkjet printers that come with disc printing trays - we in Europe are very lucky that Canon does these as well, but they can’t sell 'em in the U.S. because of patent issues or something. There aren’t any small-scale disc printing services that I know of. Though I think there is one cheap thermal printer available somewhere.

Edit: If you want to kill two birds with one stone (have good topside protection for your CDs and get a professional print done on each) you might try the Epson Stylus Photo RX595
http://www.genesysdtp.com/epsonrx595.htm

and pairing them up with Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables (or watershield inket printable discs, more expensive but they look the best and protect the disc print against water smudges)

I am printing an album in about 100 copies. I want a standard CDr that will hold up under the stress & tear that CDrs usually go through. Which do you suggest?
You don’t necessarily need scratch resistance for this: scratchproof CDs are primarily used where there is an elevated concern about disc abuse.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2224454]This is a key point. One of the reasons I tend to avoid silver-topped CD media these days.

I recommend avoiding using paper labels on anything - if you have not yet had problems, it’s primarily good luck.

Thermal printers are expensive (well most of them are) so it’s no surprise you can’t afford them, however, as far as I know, Epson do sell some inkjet printers that come with disc printing trays - we in Europe are very lucky that Canon does these as well, but they can’t sell 'em in the U.S. because of patent issues or something. There aren’t any small-scale disc printing services that I know of. Though I think there is one cheap thermal printer available somewhere.

Edit: If you want to kill two birds with one stone (have good topside protection for your CDs and get a professional print done on each) you might try the Epson Stylus Photo RX595
http://www.genesysdtp.com/epsonrx595.htm

and pairing them up with Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables (or watershield inket printable discs, more expensive but they look the best and protect the disc print against water smudges)

You don’t necessarily need scratch resistance for this: scratchproof CDs are primarily used where there is an elevated concern about disc abuse.[/QUOTE]

Thanks allot for the heads up! So I need to Inkjet print on like 300 CDs. How fast do these ink jet printers go (how CDs per minute) and how much ink would I be using if I printed the surface in solid black?

EDIT: Do Watershield Taiyo Yuden protect against scratches and scuffs as well?

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-52x-cdr-media-94904---p-18225.aspx

Verbatim “Datalifeplus”. How do these perform? Are they really as durable and scratch resistant as described?? Anyone know?