Scratch on Top of DVD - Can I/Should I Repair?

vbimport

I have a commercially produced movie DVD which has a scratch of about one inch on the top (printed) side. About half of the scratch is hardly noticeable but the other half (about 1/2") goes through the printed surface (white) enough that I can see gray color beneath.

I have heard that scratches to the top of a CD or DVD can lead to disc damage. Do I need to be concerned about this scratch and if so, is there any way to repair it? This movie is now out of print so there is no way for me to replace it. I might add that the disc currently plays without any problems. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

CD’s are much more prone to damage from the top. The data layer is just beneath the top surface, and so it is easy to ruin one in this manner.

DVD’s have the data layer sandwiched between two layers of polycarbonate. You would have to make a very deep scratch from the top side into the reflective layer to cause permanent damage. From the sounds of it, you’ve just cut through the ink on the top of the dvd.

I’d probably just leave it alone if the disk is still playing properly. But you can also make a copy and burn it to a blank dvd, or save it on the hard drive if you want a bit of reassurance on keeping this movie.

Yeah it’s the metal reflective layer that’s near the top for CDs and the only thing protecting it is a thin layer of laquer which is designed to guard against corrosion caused by exposure to the environment.

If the reflective layer gets damaged then there’s no way of repairing this and even though the data is still there the damaged portion will be unreadable.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2598880]

I’d probably just leave it alone if the disk is still playing properly. But you can also make a copy and burn it to a blank dvd, or save it on the hard drive if you want a bit of reassurance on keeping this movie.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your and the other responses. That is exactly what I have now done.