Science Fair Project ... Legal issues?

vbimport

Hey y’all

I’m doing a science fair project on using different programs to copy CD’s. Don’t ask me about the details-- But all I’m doing is copying the CD’s.

Will I get locked up if I do this for Science Fair (it’s a real one in British Columbia)? I’m not getting any money or anything whatsoever.

Thanks.

Don’t know the specific laws for your country, but if you have the originals and destroy the backups afterwards, there should be little problems (I hope).

Perhaps you can use the backed up discs in another experiment, “how to dispose of CD-R” :wink:

I think Tax is right. This article may be of interest to you as you live in Canada or at least fall under the same guidlines I would suspect.

Here is a bit of a quote:

“On March 19, 1998, Part VIII of the (Canadian) Copyright Act dealing with private copying came into force. Until that time, copying any sound recording for almost any purpose infringed copyright, although, in practice, the prohibition was largely unenforceable. The amendment to the Act legalized copying of sound recordings of musical works onto audio recording media for the private use of the person who makes the copy (referred to as “private copying”). In addition, the amendment made provision for the imposition of a levy on blank audio recording media to compensate authors, performers and makers who own copyright in eligible sound recordings being copied for private use.”

– Copyright Board of Canada: Fact Sheet: Private Copying 1999-2000 Decision

Of course this is a little old but maybe that is the present situation.

When my school found my “Simple Guide To Copying Games” they got angry, saying it was piracy, it took me some time to explain to them it wasnt, and then it was still frowned upon.

My strong advice is that schools (or other organisations) dont like this kind of thing at all, and I would urge you not to do so.

It may be technically legal (you will definitely need to check this), but you are likely to cause yourself allot of problems by doing so.

Just my advice.

Ben :slight_smile:

I think we are talking about two different things here Ben. But, certainly he can ask his instructor.

It;s leagal if it’s private. Some body doing some computer stuff in science did something simmilar. The school said it was ok.

@ben, how did your school find out?

I was thinking the same thing. How did they find out Ben?

This is how I see it… how you can tell it to the school if they object…

There are thousands of MP3 players on the market (or, there are many cheap CD players which cannot play every single CD in your collection) and so the project is about finding the best way to make copies of the recordings you own which will work on your equipment, with the best quality of reproduction.

Thanks for the input.

I’ll ask one of my teachers who is one of the main leaders of the BC Science Fair.

You just tell 'em old Crabbyappleton said it was alright! :wink: Please keep us posted and good luck with that project. Everyone at CD Freaks is interested in this one! :bow:

I suppose the simple way out, is to have something which MAY be freely copied, like a Linux ISO, the Pricelessware or GnuWin CD collections of freeware - better still, if you end up making several copies of a distributable freeware CD, they can be handed out when no longer required for the project.

To people who understand it is legal and a fair amount about it, it may be ok, but to normal people they may automaticly just think it is piracy.

Ben :slight_smile:

ps. I dont know how the school found my site :confused:

Scary.

I asked one of my sister’s friends, whom is a legal expert in Canada (or something, I dunno)… He said it’s completely legal as long as I don’t distribute the copies.

Awesome. Now for a reply from my instructor… Jeez she’s taking a long time.