Science Fair, OS performance tests

In my biology class we are required to participate in the science fair. I’ve decided to do somewhat of a computer-science project. I’m going to run 5 different Windows OS using the same computer (the control) all by themself. Then run “benchmark tests?” (is that what they call it) to determine speed and performance for each OS. Then Compare them and display the results. I need a program /s that will run these tests and show me the results. I also have to do this project 4 different times, b/c thats what you have to do. Thanks

Very interesting. For your benchmarks you could use Sandra or 3D mark. Those are the only 2 I can think of at the top of my head. Check out www.tweak3d.net and you will probably be able to find some more. As you may or may not know, different benchmark programs benchmark different things in different ways, so some of them may not be what you are looking for.

I have some other comments for you though. Why are you using 5 different Windows OS’s. Why not try maybe 2 versions of Windows, 2 versions on Linux, and FreeBSD or something. It would provide more of a variety of OS’s and you also would have to buy all 5 Windows OS’s, which could be expensive just for a school science fair project. And as far as far as your 4 tests go, are you going to be using the same computer? I think the tests would pretty much give the same results each time, so you might try to see if you could find other computers to use.

Anyways, just some ideas for you. If your like me your probably just slackin’ and do the minimal required. But if your not, there are some ideas for you. I would like to hear back from you on how it turns out once you get done with it.

If your going to do Windows only OS’s I reccommend:

1. Windows 98
  2. Windows ME
  3. Windows 2000 SP-6
  4. Windows XP Home SP-1
  5. Windows XP Professional SP-1

And yes, I do beleive there is a difference between XP Home and Pro. Good Luck

I though about using some linux os’s but as of now i think i’ll just keep stuff as simple as i can. I do already own 5 of the windows OS, im using 95, 98se, ME, 2000 pro, and xp pro for the project. The thought that the results may not vary different at all never crossed my mind. That would be dissapointing. Anyway, i have to use the same computer, as it’s the control , the object that stays the same, doesn’t change. Thank you for your comments and links.

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
If your going to do Windows only OS’s I reccommend:

1. Windows 98
  2. Windows ME
  3. Windows 2000 SP-6
  4. Windows XP Home SP-1
  5. Windows XP Professional SP-1

And yes, I do beleive there is a difference between XP Home and Pro. Good Luck

Windows 2000 SP3 is the latest official version and SP4 is only available at the beta servers. Maybe you meant Windows NT 4.0 SP6.

why not do it on the evolution of computer os’s? show how OS’s havent gotten better, they’ve just gotten bloat-ier. and buggier. at least, windows ones :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, I agree with ckin2001…

If you’re going to compare ‘modern’ OSes, I’d suggest standard installs of:

Windows 3.11 for Workgroups with Microsoft Office 4.3 (1994)
Windows 95B with Microsoft Office 95 (1996)
Windows 98SE with Microsoft Office 97 (1998)
Windows XP with Microsoft Office XP (2001)

You could add a suite of benchmark utilities from each OS era and browser versions, graphic app versions (Photoshop comes to mind) of the same eras.

You could compare space taken, loading times, different task times.

You may want to switch back to WfWG after testing, this was the fastest Windows ever… 32 bit disk and file access (OK, its’only FAT 16) and less than 40MB fully loaded!

I am myself in the process of installing and tweaking a speedy version of Windows 98 called Windows 98 Lite for the ancient notebook I just aquired from an acquaintance for free (Busted HD I replaced with one I had lying around) - It’s got a 500MB HD, VGA, 32MB RAM but, “Wow”, a Pentium 100!..

Let us know how your project goes!

I don’t think WfWG can really be compared to the others. It’s only a 16-bit OS. I still can’t believe how trusting MS was then. When you go to install it and it asks for the serial, you have the option to say you misplaced it and it just lets you keep going. These days, with product activation and such…

Wfwg asks for a serial number?? None of the copies I bought back in the day asked for a serial.

Anyway that is a good project to do, I would suggest a bootloader to make all the o/s happy with each other, because if not, it can be a real pain in the neck to get them to work with all the others.

You can run the bench marks and show how that with each release of Windows, that more stuff is added to it, it does become bloatware, as someone stated before.

You can also do something to print out these benchmarks.

I think Sandra Sisoft will do this, 3dmark will also do this.