School memories

vbimport

For those of us who can remember that far back :bigsmile:

Did you enjoy school?
What were your favourite subjects?
Were you a model student, or did you slack off/have fun at any opportunity?
Ever get into any trouble at school? (I have hundreds of memories about the stuff me and my classmates got up to :bigsmile: )

Tell me about your schooldays :slight_smile:

School was way different when I was in Grammar School and High School, we had to wear nice clothes, no jeans, or shorts, I had to wear a tie and jacket. We studied and if we did not our parents got involved. This is not what I am seeing nowadays. My favorite subject was Math. I found I could apply it to everything. It made sense to me, my least favorite subject was English Literature. I just never took to it. There were kids that came to home room so the teacher marked them at school , then they left, no computers back then, much less interaction and much less violence and I never remember drugs in any school I went to. That is not the case now. The only things that stayed the same are the Proms, and Athletics. All else has changed.

Sort of. Most of them. Mostly. Not really.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2150005]School was way different when I was in Grammar School and High School, we had to wear nice clothes, no jeans, or shorts, I had to wear a tie and jacket. We studied and if we did not our parents got involved. This is not what I am seeing nowadays. My favorite subject was Math. I found I could apply it to everything. It made sense to me, my least favorite subject was English Literature. I just never took to it. There were kids that came to home room so the teacher marked them at school , then they left, no computers back then, much less interaction and much less violence and I never remember drugs in any school I went to. That is not the case now. The only things that stayed the same are the Proms, and Athletics. All else has changed.[/QUOTE]

No violence or drugs when I was at school, either :slight_smile:

Hehe, my mum went to a grammar school…those have all but disappeared now :eek:

I hated school !!!
In primary school (junior) i was the tallest in class by quite some margin and skinny. I was called names quite a lot. I used to bunk off a lot and my parents got in trouble for that.

Secondary school wasn’t much better. I was good at music and sports and that’s about it. I couldn’t wait to leave.

I’ve heard a lot of people say that school is the best years of your life. Blah, mines was crap. :stuck_out_tongue:

Very strange that i’m a teacher now. :doh:

Nope, I was (and still) a pragmatic sort of guy. School was all about theories and crap. I’m glad I’m done with it so I could do what I really want. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was pretty good at English and Science, and had a knack for Music and the Arts too. That’s probably why I ended up making films, a mix between all those subjects I excelled in naturally.

I was the model slacker - didn’t have to study to pass or excel in most of my subjects. I loved it.

I cut classes, mixed in with the bad crowd, but was also a free spirit - I’m who I want to be. That’s all in the past now. :wink:

All I remember was that every teacher/professor I had told me I could’ve been the best in my class - but I was too busy with real life and enriching myself in my own way to focus on school.

…oh, yeah, I’m borderline ADHD, borderline OCD, borderline crazy. I love being deviant. :bigsmile:

I remember high school pretty well. I liked science classes the best while there, mostly because I liked some of my teachers in those subjects.

Band took up a lot of my time, and I had a close-knit group of friends who helped me survive. We were part of the “brainy” group…not very popular, though all of us were good at various types of sports…and that kinda took us out of the “nerd” image.

I almost never did homework in high school. I remember that clearly. Had most of it finished quickly in school. Rarely got in trouble. There was a fair amount of drinking, pot smoking and all that back in my school, but my friends and I were not into it…which also led to our “not so cool” image.

Pranks were pretty mild…tp’ing the teachers’ houses, throwing eggs and water balloons at Halloween, having bottle rocket fights at July 4th, painting the streets with slogans for football nights, street skating behind the cars on the rare icy conditions, chinese fire drills at red lights…

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]For those of us who can remember that far back :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I remember those days:o.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]Did you enjoy school?[/QUOTE]

School was ok, i only didn’t like the teachers:p.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]What were your favourite subjects?[/QUOTE]

Nice time in science class & history, nightmare at math.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]Were you a model student, or did you slack off/have fun at any opportunity?[/QUOTE]

FUN:bow:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]Ever get into any trouble at school? (I have hundreds of memories about the stuff me and my classmates got up to :bigsmile: )[/QUOTE]

Trouble was my name back in then.

Couple of memorable teachers for basically the same reason, the strap. French teacher, in order to give you the strap, you had your back against the classroom door, both hands out & she had to take a run at it from down the hallway, yep somebody did take their hands away at the last minute. Geography teacher, had 3 straps, one that would flop over, one that would sort of stand up & one that stood straight up on it’s own. Just about the whole class didn’t do homework this one day, so he gave us a choice, strap or paper, (lines), everybody except 2 girls said strap, because we didn’t want to write out all those lines. So, he gives everybody who chose it the strap, came to the 2 girls, told them to hold their hands out, rolled up a couple of sheets of paper & tapped them on their hands twice. :doh:

I use to just sell weed and LSD in high school and have sex on campus. No lie.:smiley:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2149997]For those of us who can remember that far back :bigsmile:

Did you enjoy school?
What were your favourite subjects?
Were you a model student, or did you slack off/have fun at any opportunity?
Ever get into any trouble at school? (I have hundreds of memories about the stuff me and my classmates got up to :bigsmile: )

Tell me about your schooldays :)[/QUOTE]

Those splendored days will never comeback, when we had less population, less crimes, less money, less crowded schools, walking even 3 miles to school, coming home for lunch at noon and going back to school for afternoon classes. Life was so easier, happier and safety at school was not issue at all. Those happy days are history now and just memories.

I think high school was the most enjoyable and carefree time of my life. I was a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type that got good grades but did some absolutely ignorant things (never got caught though) that should have landed me in juvenile detention for quite some time. Nothing violent though or drug/alcohol induced. One exception for school hours was I received corporal punishment (remember when that was allowed!) over 30 times in 9th grade from the PE teacher and once when I was a senior. All in all, high school was a blast. Then I went to an all male college for an BS in engineering and had to study too much which kept me out of trouble. My college years weren’t nearly as fun and I chalk most of it up to there being no girls on campus.

As for favorite teachers, I had a fresh out of college chemistry teacher in high school that was very entertaining. He was always blowing stuff up. Every test he would put carbide and water into a gallon paint can with a small hole at the bottom and top of the can. Then he would light the gas coming out of the top hole. As the carbide dissolved the flame would get smaller and smaller until it would appear to vanish. Then several minutes later the flame would go inside the can and ignite the remaining gas with a LOUD explosion occurring and the lid flying off and hitting the ceiling that was about 20’ high. The first time he did this we didn’t know what to expect and when it exploded I think the whole class crapped their pants in unison. Even when we knew what was coming it still scared the hell out of us. He also exploded soap bubbles made from a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gases. Our high school was built in 1904 and some of those bubbles were so big that I swear the explosions they made were going to blow out the rickety old windows in that room. He also took us on some serious spelunking adventures that I wouldn’t dare attempt today. I was skinny as a rail and some places he took us we had to exhale to fit through the cracks in the rocks. I had other good teachers but he was the best by far. He only stayed one year and I think he was just too radical for our small Midwestern high school to tolerate. I was very fortunate to have him as a teacher.

Some interesting posts here :smiley:

Me personally…I liked lessons and learning, just hated being at school. I bunked off a lot in secondary school. Nver got picked on though, I guess mainly because I’d been through primary (infants/juniors) and then secondary school with the same kids, so we knew each other pretty well. :slight_smile:

French was my best lesson, maths was my worst.

I had two buddies I always hung around with (Tanya and Natasha), and we were always in trouble - mainly for mouthing off to certain teachers. Got to the point where Tanya was shifted to a different class, and me and Nattie were put “on report” for “bad behaviour and rudeness” hehe (basically, at the end of each class, the teacher would have to report on your conduct).

Still couldn’t wait to leave (at 16, I didn’t stay on) though :slight_smile:

My best subject was math. I have a math teacher who always use to say, get your math. Your math book is your Bible. What ever that meant. LOL. I also ran track. I ran in the pen relays back in the mid 60’s. Also sang on the school choir.

Mr. Bill :cool:

In High School we were two groups each with 6 or 8 member try to act as who is big shot and who demand more command, we were running against each other play soccer, Volleyball, wrestling, boxing some time real fighting. We had to make our own Volleyball or soccer post and play in large vacant land. My biggest hate and taste was for religious course and the favorite was math, physics, and history also literature, with weakness on biology. We had all boys’ school not mix.