Scenarist dies during chickenman DVD to DVD-R guide

I hope I can make this question good enough to be in this area and not in the newbie section.

I have been trying to back up a main movie on dvd9 to a dvd5. I am using chickenman’s guide. Everything works well until scenarist runs. It imports the movie and then it dies. I keep missing what the error message is.

1. Is there a way to resume the dvd2svcd 1.2.1b3 process? I can track what is happening, but I do not really know what scenarist’s role in the entire process is.

Here is the last few lines of the scenarist log:

• 12/28/2003 6:51:20 PM
  • Free on drive F: 23114.66 mb
  • Creating DVD-Image using Sonic Scenarist

Creating Sonic Scenarist Script file
Executing Sonic Scenarist
Scenarist Failed!

There are two movie0 files. Ons is a scenarist file and the other seems to be a script. The pronblem is that I do not know what to feed to scenarist to get it going again.

The other option I am considering is checking the “dont make images” box in dvd2svcd. What are the drawback of not using scenarist?

I would appreciate any help. I seem to have some knowledge, but just enough to be dangerous…

Just open scenarist and hit new from script and then select the script file, pick a project name, and hit ok.

/MLS

Or just Author the *.mpv and *.ac3 files in Maestro. Scenarist authoring via DVD2SVCD seams to be very picky with systems and does not work for everyone.

I no longer use Scenarist as it does NOT make fully complian PAL authored VOB’s. May be okay for NTSC (I dont have any to backup!) though.

If it works for you, then thats great. If it doesnt, I really have no simple answer on how to fix the problem.

“…no longer use Scenarist as it does NOT make fully complian PAL authored VOB’s”… ???
Dankin or Sonic Scenarist NT, DVD and karaoke authoring software with price tag around $20,000, used by Hollywood company to autor DVD’s “not fully PAL complain”?
Is this a joke statement?

Meac

Originally posted by Meac
[B]"…no longer use Scenarist as it does NOT make fully complian PAL authored VOB’s"… ???
Dankin or Sonic Scenarist NT, DVD and karaoke authoring software with price tag around $20,000, used by Hollywood company to autor DVD’s “not fully PAL complain”?
Is this a joke statement?

Meac [/B]

Read it in context my friend, we are talking about DVD2SVCD and its auto authoring using Scenarist. Its the script that DVD2SVCD sends to Scenarist that does not allow Scenarist to make fully complian PAL files. Scenarist works fantastic if you author manually, just not from DVD2SVCD.

Chickenman

what do you use instead of Scenarist then? I went to get it from the web after reading your tutorial about DVD backup but found it was about £14,000 - a bit too much for backup of home DVD’s!

Dip

Yep it is a bit expensive ! I use Maestro but thats out of print and no longer available anymore. DVDLab and TMPGEnc DVD Author are 2 excellent authoring tools and both reasonably priced. I would favour DVDLab over TDA, but both suffer from only handling 1 audio track and no subs. If thats not a problem then use either.