Scans of aging and older CD media

vbimport

Why did you do only the standard and not the advanced scan?
Another question - why are the jitter now more than 1% better? (I assume it was the same scanner)

The original scanning drive is long dead. :sad:

The original scanning drive is long dead.

Do you record which scanner was used (serial or something similar)?

But the scans do look still very similar.

This is a Fujifilm-branded TY CD-R I burned on 6/18/01 according to what I wrote on the label. It was a blast from the past going through the old files and Internet favorites it contained. It was likely burned on the Sony CRX-100E that came with the Dell system I was using at the time. It’s been stored in a jewel case since then, away from sunlight.

Burned on January 2001

LiteOn iHAS124-B @ x24

ATIP-Code: 97m31s07f
manufacturer: RiTEK Corporation
Dye: Phthalocyanine
Write-Strategy: 1 - Long Strategy Type
Data capacity : 656.70 MB
Audio capacity: 74.45

Look at this beauty, burned on June 2002, and such a quality!

LiteOn iHAS124-B @ x24

ATIP-Code: 97m23s61f
manufacturer: Customer Pressing Oosterhout
Dye: Cyanine
Write-Strategy: 1 - Long Strategy Type
Data capacity : 625.13 MB

[QUOTE=Dogway;2680246]Look at this beauty, burned on June 2002, and such a quality![/QUOTE] “Beauty” ? Are you being ironic?

The scan shows C2 failures at the end of the disc, i.e. E32 uncorrectable errors!

Also, your scanning drive in all likelihood reports only E31 (uncorrectable) C1 errors rather than all E11+E21+E31 C1 errors, which makes it difficult to judge quality… unless you get C2 uncorrectable errors such as here.

This is a bad CD scan.

I didn’t know how to interpret the green area and assumed it was blank data of some sort, because except that, it isn’t bad at all, ain’t it? Still the one above, the RiTEK seems to be even better… and is an older burn, it just happens that this post is a repost from another place, and it was the first one of the 2 QS I made.

How do I know what type of errors my drive is capable to detect?

[QUOTE=Dogway;2680259]How do I know what type of errors my drive is capable to detect?[/QUOTE] Mostly by experience. LiteOn DVD writers in general seem to not report the E11 and E21 types of C1 errors but only E31, while the accepted way of reporting C1is to add E11+E21+E31.

The way we (indirectly) see that some drives only report some C1 errors is, that large parts of the CD have zero errors which is statistically almost impossible.

So what drive can do proper CD scans?

I have 5 drives in total:

Pioneer BDR-207EBK
Hitachi+LG HL-DT-ST CT10N
LiteOn iHas124-B
Philips DVD8801
and an old NEC (2001) I don’t have at hand now.

[QUOTE=Dogway;2680388]So what drive can do proper CD scans?

I have 5 drives in total:

Pioneer BDR-207EBK
Hitachi+LG HL-DT-ST CT10N
LiteOn iHas124-B
Philips DVD8801
and an old NEC (2001) I don’t have at hand now.[/QUOTE] Your Philips DVD8801 should be hardware-identical to a BenQ DW1650 which is an excellent CD scanning drive (e.g. using the Advanced tab in Nero CD-DVD Speed).

I’m not sure if the advanced scanning features are available with Philips firmware or if crossflashing to BenQ firmware is required.

After recently doing some reading on this forum, I got curious and tried scanning some old discs. Unfortunately I don’t have a good drive for scanning - I have to use an old DHM-G48 16X DVD-ROM drive for this. I think it was branded as “Pacific Digital” or something like that.
My current drive is a Pioneer DVR-108 burner but Nero won’t do scans with that.
Anyway, I’ve done enough scans with that DVDROM to know that it normally turns up thousands of C1 errors, and seems to be self-consistent.

TDK Medical CD-R74M

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
 Disc type:    : CD-R
 Manufacturer: : TDK
 MID           : 97m32s00f
 Write speeds: : 4 X - 10 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X [this line is obviously wrong]
 Capacity:     : 74:15.00
               : 652 MB
Extended Information
 Usage         : General
 Disc Status   : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 80 00 61 20 00 00 4A 0F 00 00 FF FF FF 00 - ....a...J.......
0010 - FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF 00                         - ........

This disc was burned in 1998 by a friend. I don’t know what kind of drive he had. He was involved with ordering discs from TDK at a job. I remember just thinking it was funny that there was a separate product labeled for “Medical” use. He raved about how wonderful they were but I didn’t take it seriously.
Now I do.

For anyone who can’t see attachments - that’s 21 total C1 errors. This disc is 15 years old.
It’s a short recording though, only about 140MB.
When the test started I wasn’t sure if something was wrong, because the test was running but the C1 was stuck at 0 for a while. Turns out the disc was just being awesome. The disc works very smooth, which is rare for this drive, it hates almost everything.

==============
Taiyo Yuden “That’s CDR” (unknown speed):
plain silver top
hub markings:
TAIYO YUDEN
KK015A0037574

Basic Information
 Manufacturer: : Taiyo Yuden
 MID           : 97m24s01f
 Write speeds: : 4 X - 10 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X
 Capacity:     : 74:43.00
               : 656 MB
Extended Information
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 18 01 00 4A 2B 00 00 FF FF FF 00 - ....a...J+......

This was burned in 2001 on a then-new Plextor PX-W121032S. It came with that drive.
When I first saw this disc back then, I couldn’t help but chuckle at the strange imported brand name. “That’s CDR” ? Yeah, I guess it is.
I don’t know what the full name of this disc is, it’s just a plain silver disc that came in a “That’s” jewel case and is marked Taiyo Yuden on the hub.
Results look pretty ordinary, but the speed isn’t the same as the last disc - I couldn’t get Nero to scan the TY at 10X, I don’t know why. I’m under the impression that low speed scanning is more repeatable and relevant to the ultimate readability of a disc, so that’s how I’ve preferred to do it.

For some reason the TDK pictures disappeared from my last post, reposting.

[edit: I have a guess maybe the title of the disc was the problem. Editing pics just in case that was it.]

[QUOTE=shamino;2695532]After recently doing some reading on this forum, I got curious and tried scanning some old discs. Unfortunately I don’t have a good drive for scanning - I have to use an old DHM-G48 16X DVD-ROM drive for this. I think it was branded as “Pacific Digital” or something like that.

snip

When the test started I wasn’t sure if something was wrong, because the test was running but the C1 was stuck at 0 for a while. Turns out the disc was just being awesome. The disc works very smooth, which is rare for this drive, it hates almost everything.

==============
Taiyo Yuden “That’s CDR” (unknown speed):
plain silver top
hub markings:
TAIYO YUDEN
KK015A0037574

Basic Information
 Manufacturer: : Taiyo Yuden
 MID           : 97m24s01f
 Write speeds: : 4 X - 10 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X
 Capacity:     : 74:43.00
               : 656 MB
Extended Information
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 18 01 00 4A 2B 00 00 FF FF FF 00 - ....a...J+......

This was burned in 2001 on a then-new Plextor PX-W121032S. It came with that drive.
When I first saw this disc back then, I couldn’t help but chuckle at the strange imported brand name. “That’s CDR” ? Yeah, I guess it is.
I don’t know what the full name of this disc is, it’s just a plain silver disc that came in a “That’s” jewel case and is marked Taiyo Yuden on the hub.
Results look pretty ordinary, but the speed isn’t the same as the last disc - I couldn’t get Nero to scan the TY at 10X, I don’t know why. I’m under the impression that low speed scanning is more repeatable and relevant to the ultimate readability of a disc, so that’s how I’ve preferred to do it.[/QUOTE]

That looks like a BTC DVD-ROM drive (probably with a MediaTek chipset), so you likely aren’t seeing all the digital errors that the drive encounters. However, given that you say the drive typically hates media, you present a good case for how well the discs have held up. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=shamino;2695767]For some reason the TDK pictures disappeared from my last post, reposting.

[edit: I have a guess maybe the title of the disc was the problem. Editing pics just in case that was it.][/QUOTE]

Shouldn’t have been a problem. Probably just a forum glitch.

Made in Ireland 08/00
Burner: Plextor Premium
Speed: 8x
Date: 2004

Scanner: BenQ 1650

MID: Kodak 97m27s56f
Made in Ireland 08/00
Burner: NEC NR-7500A
Speed: 4x
Date: 2002

MID: Ricoh 97m27s66f
Made in Taiwan
Burner: NEC NR-7500A
Speed: ? (2-4)
Date: 2002

Vivastar 2-24x CD-R burned about 43 months ago.
initial scan

Sigma 52x CD-R (ATIP: 97m26s07f), burned almost 7 years ago.
initial scan

Intenso 74 min Audio CD-R burned about 43 months ago.
initial scan