Scans of aging and older CD media

vbimport

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2228324]The reflective layer of the Kodak CD-Rs was almost or completely unprotected, and I’ve had pieces of the reflective layer peel off such discs for no good reason, thus making the discs unreadable.

So I consider them good for archival (if carefully handled) but bad for general use.[/QUOTE]

Then it seems I’m lucky, because it is a CDR stored in a jewel case and not used so often, especially the last 4 years!

Thanks for the clarification!

This is my older CD media I still have, and the one of the best quality graph I ever had!!! :clap:

Ricoh, 97m27s66f, burned more than 10 years ago (5 Dec 1998) :bow:
with the HP or Teac burner (see the signature), with the legendary Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3! :smiley:

Irrelevenat to this thread: How can I use and interpret the TA Jitter tab in Nero CD-DVD Speed? I did search but I didn’t find any information comprehensive to me :o

[quote=yyy;2228393]Irrelevenat to this thread: How can I use and interpret the TA Jitter tab in Nero CD-DVD Speed?[/quote] TA Jitter scanning only works for DVD media and only with some LiteOn DVD burners.

Smart 74Min/650MB Multi-Speed 1X-8X Platinum CDR

burned@2000@panasonic8x4x32
(one of the same disk is no more readable)
i have ~10-20pick…

Disc Type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Seantram Technology
MID : 97m22s11f
Write speeds: : 10 X
Capacity: : 74:50.01
: 657 MB

hub_print=2lines_not.rounded
623A1215
logo_pressed=Smart_star.simbole_uppcase_
stamp=VAABE05

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2228546]TA Jitter scanning only works for DVD media and only with some LiteOn DVD burners.[/QUOTE]

Then why I see the relevant tab in Nero DiscSpeed? My Lite-on is only a CDRW. I also have the Samsung SH-S223Q. Does this work with this? If I remember correctly this tab first appeared when I connected the Lite-on CDRW in my PC. I didn’t noticed it before that!

I apologise again for the off-topic questions…

I think Drage ment to say that Lite-On DVD writers can only perform the TA Jitter test on DVDs. IIRC my Lite-On SOHR-5239V CD writer could run the test on CDs (it’s now gathering dust in a cupboard so I can’t double-check at the moment). The tab seems to be shown whenever CDSpeed/DiscSpeed finds a Lite-On drive, but not all models support the test.

My best guess for interpreting the results is that the graphs are straightforward histograms, one shows the lands and the other the pits. The X axis is the measured land/pit length and the Y axis is the frequency. So on a good disc the peaks should line up with the ideal lengths marked and there should be good seperation between them.

You could try searching the Plextor forum. (Real) Plextors can perform a TA test and Plextools presents the results in a similar way.

[quote=Ibex;2229273]I think Drage ment to say that Lite-On DVD writers can only perform the TA Jitter test on DVDs.[/quote] No, I meant to say what I said. :smiley:

TA Jitter as currently implemented by CDSpeed is a test for DVD media, not for CD media. It will only run and produce meaningful results on some LiteOn DVD burners (e.g. 5S, 6S, 20A1, 20A4 series).

The TA Jitter tab will be visible if you have a LiteOn CD-RW or DVD burner in your system, and you will even be able to start the test with a CD in your drive, but the result will be meaningless for anything that is not a recordable or rewriteable DVD (a DVD-ROM will make the test fail with [I]Incompatible Medium[/I]).

If you run the TA Jitter test on CD media in a LiteOn DVD burner (not CD-RW burner) you might get a graph that might be meaningful, but even then the calculated DC Jitter will be zero and thus meaningless.

If you run the TA Jitter test on CD media in a LiteOn CD-RW burner, you sometimes get a weird looking graph and sometimes no graph, but the graph, DC Jitter and Peak Shift are entirely meaningless.

I’m not sure about running the TA Jitter test on LiteOn Combo and DVD-ROM drives since I don’t have any.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2229300]
If you run the TA Jitter test on CD media in a LiteOn CD-RW burner, you sometimes get a weird looking graph and sometimes no graph, but the graph, DC Jitter and Peak Shift are entirely meaningless.
[/QUOTE]

In my Lite-on CD-RW I can do the TA Jitter test on CD-Rs and I get a graph. I don’t know if it is weird or not, since I don’t know how to interpret it! That’s why I asked in the first place. Since the graphs I get are meaningless, I stop wondering :slight_smile:

Thanks again!! :flower:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2229300]If you run the TA Jitter test on CD media in a LiteOn CD-RW burner, you sometimes get a weird looking graph and sometimes no graph, but the graph, DC Jitter and Peak Shift are entirely meaningless.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Drage, I had a feeling that might be the case. After the TA test appeared I experimented with it on my SOHR-5239V for a week or two before giving up. It’s nice to know that there was a reason why I could never see anything useful in the results.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2229300]No, I meant to say what I said. :D[/QUOTE]
:o

About 8 to 9 years old
Memorex Music CD-R ( RITEK )
burn with AIWA XC-RW700 CD-Recorder

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2255330]About 8 to 9 years old
Memorex Music CD-R ( RITEK )
burn with AIWA XC-RW700 CD-Recorder[/QUOTE]

impressive :slight_smile:

[B]Sanyo Digital[/B] cd-r multispeed (Audio cd-r), i think that the burner was a 32x [B]SONY[/B] cd-rw, no idea about the firmware or the burn speed, enjoy the horror.

DOH! :doh:

Cool looking disc though, seems so many of the old discs posted have such a great style and color to them.

[QUOTE=vroom;2257136][B]Sanyo Digital[/B] cd-r multispeed (Audio cd-r), i think that the burner was a 32x [B]SONY[/B] cd-rw, no idea about the firmware or the burn speed, enjoy the horror.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where this medium was made? AFAIK almost all Sanyo Digitals were made in Greece either by OMP S.A. or by Arcadia.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2257140]DOH! :doh:

Cool looking disc though, seems so many of the old discs posted have such a great style and color to them.[/QUOTE]

It was a cool looking disc, but the quality was horrible.

[QUOTE=pepst;2257154]Do you know where this medium was made? AFAIK almost all Sanyo Digitals were made in Greece either by OMP S.A. or by Arcadia.[/QUOTE]

My vote would be [B]Greece[/B].

About 8 to 9 years old
FUJI Music CD-R ( [B]TY[/B] )
burn with AIWA XC-RW700 CD-Recorder
same design below post
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2208286-post351.html

I think pepst will like these :wink:

Made in USA :wink:

edit: Opps I forgot, I just burned this as Audio 8x…

I am really slacking today :o

The CD was burned with a LG BH08NS20, this drive seems to burn older CD’s EXTREMELY well.

eProformance branded Prodisc CD-R (52x rated speed)
LG GCE-8320B 1.04 (speed not recorded but probably 32x)
January or February 2005 (or possibly 2004)

A nice result from a very cheap disc.

Back in the year 1997!! I bought only one of these CD-Rs to try them, and I’ve never found them again!!!

Elite CD-R 650MB/74min
Manufacturer: 97m27s00f
MID: 97m27s00f
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 80 00 61 1B 00 00 4A 0C 00 00 00 00 80 00 - …a…J…
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …

Burned: 21/04/1997 (really a bad date coincidence!!)
I guess it was burned with my first recorder the HP at 2x (not sure though)…

Scanned with Optiarc 7203. TRT is fine. The same for ScanDisc - Read Test @ max speed: all green, 100% good.

Not a bad result at all, after 12 years :smiley: