Scans of aging and older CD media

vbimport

To avoid taking kg_evilboy’s thread even more OT (Drage, feel free to delete my post there ;)), I thought I’d start a CD scanning thread.

The BenQ 1650 is probably not the best drive for scanning CDRs, but I did one anyway. A CDR with photos on it, given to me by a friend in the US about 5 years ago.

God knows what drive it was burned on :bigsmile:…I’ve been re-burning a lot of my older stuff, so this is probably the only one I have left from that long ago.

Anyone else got any, or am I the only fool still scanning CDRs? :bigsmile:

Memorex-branded, Ritek MID:

Ritek
Prodisc

I still have a 12x TDK ReflexX (Metal Azo dye) MIL, burned on a Samsung SW-208F in 2001, but I can’t scan it. :frowning:

Forgot to mention, if you want to post a TRT to this thread, that’s absolutely fine :wink:

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Some of my oldest audio CDR (1997-2001) scanned last year (2005). All were burnt in Plextor CDR burners.

1. [B]Maxell/Hitachi[/B] media burnt in Plextor drives
    SCANS POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD

2. [B]Taiyo Yuden[/B] media (this one is from 1997 with a sticky label on it!)
    SCAN POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD

As a sidenote, I never had any degradation issue with my CDRs, except when trying some very, very cheap stuff. Anything that has been burnt on reputable brands (TDK, Verbatim, Sony, Maxell, HP, Fuji…) shows no sign of aging. Not even the CMC-made stuff.
But agreed, I’m extremely careful (not to say anal) with my discs… :bigsmile: - so of course, those who handle their discs roughly can have a very different experience than mine… :wink:

I’m already off :frowning: - still overbusy! :sad:

Wowwww, nice scans (and nice to see you, Franck ;)) - especially the TY with the label on :eek:

I see you used an NEC, I really should put in my 4551 :iagree:

I guess this nice backup of win98 is made by my first Plextor 8x to app 500$. Perhaps time for an extra backup :wink: As far as i remember i jumped directly from a HP 2x writer to Plextor 8x - talk about speed… and wasted money. 2x discs cost app 10$ and there were quite a few coasters back then. Sadly i don’t think i have saved any of those…

Postech? New one on me! :smiley:

Hi,

this seems to be my oldest existing CD-R, written on a 4x Tevion (Acer OEM, Benq has still firmware for this drive:)). Media is supermarket grade :wink:

ATIP: 97m 32s 00f
Disc Manufacturer: TDK Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 658.74MB (74m 59s 00f / LBA: 337275)

Burned at 8x with Samsung SW-208F (Firmware SW??).
Scanned at 32x with LiteOn SHW-16H5S LS0W, unsuitable but it’s enough to sneak a peek at the disc quality.
The disc is lovely blue old-style Metal Azo, but slightly dirty.

By the way, Postech was used by quite a few supermarket media brands…

Are scans of Audio CDs off-topic in this thread?

Here’s a scan of an old Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R 650MB 74min probably burned in 1999 (perhaps even earlier?) on an unknown CD-R burner.

The disc has no visible speed rating, and Verbatim has sold this ATIP (97m34s20f) as unrated as well as 8x and 12x rated.

My three CD scanning drives (Plextor PX-712A, NEC ND-4551A and BenQ DW1655) all agree about the scan, so I’m only posting one scan of this disc.

I can’t get better burns than this today (except for jitter not shown).

Here’s another scan of an old Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R 650MB 74min probably burned in 1999 (perhaps even earlier?) on an unknown CD-R burner.

This is the same type of disc as above.

Two of my three CD scanning drives (Plextor PX-712A, NEC ND-4551A) agree about the scan, so I’m only posting one scan of this disc.

The BenQ DW1655 won’t even recognize the disc - not even as a blank disc? :confused:

Certainly not. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the scans! :iagree:

Here are some CD-R scans from discs burnt in 1998/1999/2000.

All different ATIPs and burned on (2) Philips CDD 3610 CD-RW drive at 2x. (1st one died within 6 months :a , 2nd died after 18 months)

I would of scanned these with a Lite-ON CD-RW drive [I]but[/I] both were non-working when I tried to use them :a :sad:

Storage conditions:

Light level : Minimal
Relative Humidity: I don’t have the equipment to measure this (variable, though maximum not too high)
Room Temperature: Variable (a few °C upto maybe low 30s °C)

[U][B]1st disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R (Made in Singapore)
Manufacturer: Verbatim
ATIP: 97m34s20f
Storage: Fullsize Jewel Case

[U][B]2nd disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: Memorex Professional Platinum CD-R
Manufacturer: Ritek
ATIP: 97m31s00f

[U][B]3rd disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: TDK CD-R74 Colour Disc
Manufacturer: TDK
ATIP: 97m32s00f

[U][B]4th disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: TDK CD-R74 Metallic Disc
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden
ATIP: 97m24s01f

[U][B]5th disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: Ricoh Type 74 CD-R (Made in E.U)
Manufacturer: Ricoh
ATIP: 97m27s66f

[U][B]6th disc:[/B][/U]

Brand: Traxdata 80 Minute Silver CD-R
Manufacturer: Ritek
ATIP: 97m31s05f

TRT test on same disc :Z . I think this was my 1st 80 minute CD-R.

Hehe, you had the same Philips drive I started with :bigsmile:

Nice scans - apart from the last one :eek:

Yes, well I suppose the Traxdata lives upto Ritek’s current reputation :frowning:

I hope the data will still be recoverable on at least one of my DVD burners :slight_smile:

lol, the jitter is really high on that Ritek disc.
Here scan and TRT of a Verbatim DataLifePlus MIS disc. Sadly, only a small part was burned, and it was not burned by me but a friend of mine on an unknown drive at an unknown speed.

ATIP: 97m 34s 20f
Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 654.49MB (74m 30s 00f / LBA: 335100)

Sadly, this Litey won’t report any data that make sense though… :disagree:
I’d really like to see a decent CD scan… oh well, I’ll buy a NEC or BenQ soon.

EDIT: I thought AOpens were relabeled Liteys which are famous for their error tolerance levels? :confused:
Anyway, the older cyanine Riteks were not really the best choice…

Here is another CD-R burnt on a Ricoh MP7080A at 4x/8x :confused:

Brand: Kodak CD-R Ultima (Silver + Gold)
Manufacturer: Kodak
ATIP: 97m27s45f

I believe the Aopen DVD-ROM drives uses a Ricoh Chipset. It is a nice drive but not quite as good as the best DVD-RW for error tolerance.

My experiences with Ritek CD-R have been mainly negative, even discs which were liked by some experienced users at the time (including the POS 74min media they manufactured for TDK :Z ). I’m most surprised by how good the Memorex 74min Ritek disc is though :slight_smile:

Found some 1997 audio cd’s i mixed. Unfortunately my Benq couldn’t recognise them (all my other drives had no probs and they play fine on any cd player i tried) Kodak infoguard 74 min. burned first week sep 97 :slight_smile:

BASF burned with my YAMAHA 4416 (ATAPI) back in 99.
Here is the scan and the TRT on my NEC 4570.