Scans/ I finally found good media

I do a lot of video distribution & have not been one to rely on scans in the past but this is clearly cut & dry I think between the duifferencen of verbatim & TY. I have been a die hard fan of verbatim MCC 004 & Mcc 03RG20 for 3 years, & have never even tried Taiyo Yuden.I have been using them for about one month now & have not had one complaint at all, so I decided to run some scans, & well now this is all I am going to use.\

PS. Does anyone know where to get or what kind of verbatim will be as good quality as these TY’s?? I heard MCC00RG20? is this true? Has anyone had results from any kind of verbatim that are as good as these.

What are you saying? That the TY are working better for customers than the verbatims? Or are you basing much of your findings off home made scans? You shouldn’t use a home made scan as a means of determining which media is actually going to have more success in peoples DVD players. There’s other factors that are unmeasurable, which can greatly affect whether a DVD will work or not in a player.

T02 is good media. It is the best of the best that TY has to offer IMO. None of their other DVD media is as good. An equal comparison would be to test MCC02RG20 8x -R verbatim against the T02 as this is regarded (by myself and many others) as the most compatible disc Verbatim has to offer.

IMO, Verbatims 16x media is superior to TYs 16x media. If T02 is cheap and you have little to no problems with it, keep on using it because it’s a media with pretty much zero flaws IMO. TYG02 has a glaring weakness in it’s low reflectivity but T02 is pretty solid in all aspects and burns well in almost any writer.

Btw, one of your MCC004 has very high jitter, this can potentially affect playback in a DVD player. I would personally reject anything that was burnt with over [B]10% average jitter[/B] (not to be confused with MAX jitter value).

I wouldn’t be ultra critical of error levels. The error levels in the scan with high jitter are unacceptable but something like the MCC03RG20 with 3847 PIF Total is ok IMO. Original DVDs often have error levels that are quite high. However, they quite commonly have two strengths that cannot be matched by burnt DVD, which is low jitter and high reflectivity. These two parameters can have a huge effect on playability. This is why you may often hear people with aging game consoles/dvd players saying things like: “Burnt DVDs won’t play anymore but my originals play fine”

From my testing I’d say MCC03RG20 is inferior to all other Verb and TY 16x, but then that might be because I had a CMC batch rather than a Prodisc.

I would have bought some T02 is they were still available branded.

[QUOTE=IdontexistM8;1935276]From my testing I’d say MCC03RG20 is inferior to all other Verb and TY 16x, but then that might be because I had a CMC batch rather than a Prodisc.

I would have bought some T02 is they were still available branded.[/QUOTE]

-Verbatim media is on par with (sometimes better than!)TY media
-Playability , longevity and reflectivity are not shown in home base scans so such scans should NOT be taken so seriously .
-CMC made Verbatim 16X media is considerd by most members to be superior to Prodisc made counterparts

Well like I said I have never been one to base quality on scans, & also I distribute a lot of video & I have got a shitload of complaints when it comes to MCC 004 or any 16x verbatim, but I guess you said it was of the most inferior.

So do you say that MCC 02RG20 has way better reflectivity than T02 & if so then how can the playback be so good, because the way I understood it without reflectivity you have no playback.

I have been a diehard fan of verbatim Will MCC 02RG20 scan as good or just be as good quality as T02?? What about MCC 00RG20??

If you get a newer LG drive or a Pioneer 111 and burn at 8X I would go along with MCC 03RG20s from Verbatim. I have yet to find a variation that was not acceptible, at least in my experience. These same drives hold for MCC 004 at 8X as well although other drives are much less cranky with variations. Also, most LGs ang Pioneers can bitset the +R discs with the right firmware and this might help your customers.

It just seems like the TY’s skip less in standalone players. Do you think MCC00RG20 compare? If so I will try a pack, but these are -R & I Know with modern standalone players booktype doesn’t matter as much any more. Basically I am looking for the dvd that will Play all the way through with no skipping every time. (Too much to ask for??):confused:

If you can find MCC 00RG200, I say go for it. Be warned: they will be slow to burn, and probably have worse support than 8x and 16x media. MCC 02RG20 and MCC 03RG20 [especially 02RG20] would probably give better performance than 00RG200 overall.

Of course, if MCC still doesn’t perform for you, go with the Taiyo Yuden and stick with it…

What about MCC 01RG20, the 4X -R?

I think all the MCC RG20 discs are good. I think 02RG20 is supposed to take the cake for compatibility, though. Not many people have mentioned 01RG20 or 00RG200 recently, though. But personally, the older, the better, in my experience. :iagree:

I like TY T002 most, CMC MCC004 second, TYG02 third.

I don’t know, what about it?? It’s easy to find a dvd for data copies, but it is hard to find one that is all out compatible & most important to me good to perfect playability all the way through. I have boycotted all cheap media!! It is too bad that more companies don’t care about quality rather than quantity.

I think I will also give MCC02RG20 a try.

What about MCC 003? Better than MCC 004? I think MCC 004 has just mediocre (or however you spell it) playback results.

I’ve used Verbatim Digital Video-branded MCC 003 before. While I can’t say how good compatibility is, I’ve run it flawlessly on an Xbox drive from 2001/2002 that [except for Ricoh media] will only play DVD-R with no problems [and even then, it might hand]. It scans like a dream, too. It seems to be quite…stable across batches, IMHO. I’ve yet to have a coaster.

Taiyo Yuden 000 T02 hasn’t worked that well with my Xbox drive, but it’s one of the two things to which I default if I make a video for someone else. No complaints yet. [FWIW, the other media is RICOHJPN R00/R01/R02/R03. I’ve only tried R01 and R03. Both worked perfectly fine.]

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1935467]It just seems like the TY’s skip less in standalone players. Do you think MCC00RG20 compare? If so I will try a pack, but these are -R & I Know with modern standalone players booktype doesn’t matter as much any more. Basically I am looking for the dvd that will Play all the way through with no skipping every time. (Too much to ask for??):confused:[/QUOTE]

If there’s skipping, I’d be looking @ how many errors are on the scans and also how high jitter is.

In my experience, using a Pioneer 111 or just about any Pioneer drive and writing @ 8x with MCC004 results in great burns. I’ve never personally had a complaint.

MCC02RG20 is meant to have good reflectivity. Not exactly sure how high it is but it should be at least a bit above the .45 level (many media fall below it). T02 I believe is pretty good for reflectivity and doesn’t fall too low.

I would not bother with MCC00RG20. That sounds like 1-2x media and probably is not that great. I’ve used MCC002, I can definitely say that it’s good. I burned in my H22N @ 4x and got amazingly good results. But anything slower than 4x just might not be so great.

I think you should try MCC02RG20 if MCC004 just keeps giving trouble. You aren’t burning @ higher than 8x are you, jcusimano2?

MCC003 can also be quite good if you use the right writer. Using Pioneer would be optimal for both MCC003 and MCC02RG20.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1935387]-Verbatim media is on par with (sometimes better than!)TY media
-Playability , longevity and reflectivity are not shown in home base scans so such scans should NOT be taken so seriously .
-CMC made Verbatim 16X media is considerd by most members to be superior to Prodisc made counterparts[/QUOTE]

1. Verbatim is top ranked, no doubt about that but I trust it less than I did when it was coming out of Singapore. I would stll pick a Yuden dye if it came down to a straight premium choice.

2. Fair point, I always try and factor in additional elements. I was not just referring to scans in the OP.

3. I’ve had nothing but issues with CMC made MCC dye media and will do my upmost to avoid it now. So I don’t mind being in the minority…more for others. :wink: I’d like to try some Prodisc ones but without going out and paying over the top prices there’s no guarantee of getting them via online stores. I might take a punt on a small number of MCC004 as it’s the only premium dye I haven’t yet tested.

You have to pick what’s right and works for you. I’m still sussing things out, next up will be some of those Samsung Optodiscs you’ve tried in that best scan thread.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/my-best-scan-ever-199579/index4.html#post1934721

I’m aware in the UK they had them cheap in Superdrug a few months back, no idea if there’s any left now.

NO I am not burning higher than 8x. I am burning @ exactly 8x. Another issue seems to be that in one standalone player a dvd might play perfectly & in another one it might skip a few times. Don’t get me wrong, cd pirate I am not saying that dvd’s are skipping all the way through (if that was the case then there would be some kind of other prob. burner brand, media type slow computer etc.) but let’s say that a dvd skips 4 or 5 times but you don’t miss any of the movie just short pauses or skips then the customer wants a new disk & I am trying to eliminate this. Did I mention, in , my computer where I make my masters I have 2 (Optiarc AD-7170A Liggy 1.04:bow:), & a NEC ND-1300A 1.0C, but I don’t use the 1300 for masters. & then I if so needed make my duplicates with my Pioneer duplicator W/2 DVR-112L 8.21. I am pretty sure my hardware is about as good as it’s going to get.

I don’t know how to include the Quote in my posts???

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1936295]I don’t know how to include the Quote in my posts???[/QUOTE]
You can just use the “quote” button down in the bottom right of the post box that you want to quote from, press that and it will take you to the reply page …or when in advanced post mode there is a button above the post/text box that looks like a cartoon speech bubble, with that you can add quotes in to the body of your text.

As for your media I have very good results from MCC 02RG20, they play in all of my SA Players even the few very old ones that give me problems with other media and/or cant cope with +R (MCC003/4). As for MCC003/4 I get very good results with them and do class them as some of the best media.

As said check for Jitter problems that does cause playback problems. I burn at 4x in my LG drives when I want very smooth Jitter, because its a CAV write mode and as such has no speed changes which IMO always cause jumps in the Jitter numbers.

Do you use TY???

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;1936323]You can just use the “quote” button down in the bottom right of the post box that you want to quote from, press that and it will take you to the reply page …or when in advanced post mode there is a button above the post/text box that looks like a cartoon speech bubble, with that you can add quotes in to the body of your text.

As for your media I have very good results from MCC 02RG20, they play in all of my SA Players even the few very old ones that give me problems with other media and/or cant cope with +R (MCC003/4). As for MCC003/4 I get very good results with them and do class them as some of the best media.

As said check for Jitter problems that does cause playback problems. I burn at 4x in my LG drives when I want very smooth Jitter, because its a CAV write mode and as such has no speed changes which IMO always cause jumps in the Jitter numbers.[/QUOTE]

You mean CLV :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, my LG drives write with nice jitter @ 4x on MCC02RG20. The 4167B creates ones of the smoothest lines I’ve seen with this media.