"Scanning scsi/ide-bus. Please wait" then my computer freezes! Help!

Hello,

I have a liteon 48x12x48 cdrw that i am trying to install. Everything is fine until i try to actually get into the software. It will start to come up, but then i get this little box that says “Scanning scsi.ide-bus. Please wait…” well, it did that for about 8 hours, and i had to crl+alt+del to get it to stop. THen if i try to do anything else, it freezes after about 10 seconds, and i have to press reset on my computer.

I have installed all the upgrades for my OS (win98), i have replaced the ide cable, and uninstalled and re-installed nero, and nothing has worked. :a

can anyone help me?

Is the jumper setting at the back of your drive correct?

I am pretty sure it is. I have the cdrw as the master, and a cdrom as the slave in the secondary port. I tried it the other way too, and the same thing happenes.

You can try to find updated busmaster drivers for your system,or uninstall your present ones and reinstall them or replace them by the native ones that windows has…:slight_smile:

…okay, i am willing to try just about anything…but i have no idea how to do any of that. I am still a newbie :o

I should tell you that this is a home built system. I bought the components, and my brother-in-law put it together for me. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but i have tried emailing places with tech support, and they will only talk to you if the computer is one of theirs.:frowning:

so…where do i find busmaster drivers? i think i can figure out how to install and uninstall, as long as i don’t accidentally re-format the hard drive! (although it might be an improvement…)

Thanks for your help!

you will need to find the specs on your motherboard. since you bought it you shld know it’s based on a VIA chipset or someother. Then you go to the site for that chipset and download drivers. Here is the link for VIA.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/index/index.jsp

in device manager, is there a big YELLOW sign next to the cd burner?

do you have an virtural drive program installed on your puter? i had cd anywhere prog on mine an when i would start up nero, when it scaned the drives it would freeze up. once i uninstaled the virtural drive nero didnt freeze up the computer anymore.

Same problem here:

pc: amdk6-2 400Mhz, via chipset
cd: lite on 48x24x48x LTR-48246S
master on ide2 channel

• i updated the system with latest via hyperiondrivers (4.46; maybe i should have sticked to 4.25)
  • installed latest aspi drivers (4.71 i think)
  • not only nero (5.5.9) hangs, easy cd platinum (5.2) also
  • the drive works with ordinary cd’s.

Put the drive in a new amd xp2200+ XP system and it works like a charm…

Hyperion drivers are only intended for mainboards based on the VIA KT400 chipset. If not, please use the normal 4-in-1 drivers. You can get them from www.viaarena.com

If the problem persists after installing new VIA drivers and a new ASPI layer, get a Nero update from www.ahead.de. That’s no solution either? Download a demo of Alchohol and try that…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Hyperion drivers are only intended for mainboards based on the VIA KT400 chipset. If not, please use the normal 4-in-1 drivers.

This is not correct, see Via’s explanation:

VIA Hyperion drivers are suitable for any VIA chipset and all Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (Win95/98/98SE users, see **Note below). If you are looking for VIA 4in1 drivers, these are the drivers you are looking for. The “Hyperion” name was added to the 4in1 driver set name in December 2002.

Uli

Originally posted by ufauser
[B]

This is not correct, see Via’s explanation:

VIA Hyperion drivers are suitable for any VIA chipset and all Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (Win95/98/98SE users, see **Note below). If you are looking for VIA 4in1 drivers, these are the drivers you are looking for. The “Hyperion” name was added to the 4in1 driver set name in December 2002.

Uli [/B]

Hmmm yes I see, they’ve seemed to change it. Last time I had to download the 4-in-1 drivers (that was last February, I sold my KT133a-based board a couple of weeks ago) the Hyperion driver were only intended for the KT400 chipset, all other chipsets used older versions (4.43 by that time, Hyperion were 4.45).

I’m not sure this will help, but maybe: I experienced the same as you (with a 32x Liteon burner). Then I figured out that if I put in the disk and first try to list the content of the disk (I use Windows Commander, but Explorer or My Computer should also work) before starting Nero, then it won’t freeze anymore. Of course the disk is blank, and there is an error message, but after this everything is ok.