Scanning question

vbimport

Am I supposed to scan the quality during the burn or after the burn is completed?

Also, for an 8X burn, my scan afterwards showed 92 and for a 4x burn, 96 (or vice versa since I mixed them up). It is for the Maxell002 discs which most on the forum are getting 97.

Plus, my drive keeps disappearing and crashing my pc.

Should I reflash?

I have seen that people are getting good results with the B7P9 firmware. is it possible to flash backwards? Should I do it in safe mode this time?

Drive dissappearing? Vanishing? Comes and goes?

Do you have an external model? If so, the external model has no P9 firmware–instead you should visit www.benq.com for the firmware that goes in your drive. BenQ, Global (from site map), Support–is the path to the latest firmware.
With an external drive dissappearance, one should track down the latest chipset support drivers and the latest USB 2.0 support drivers (which are always a seperate download). These latest drivers are not located at the motherboard manufacturer’s web site. They’re not on the included cd. Bill Gates doesn’t have them. The motherboard’s chipset (VIA, Intel, Nivida) has its own website with these USB 2.0 drivers.
The motherboard manufacturer’s site does have the latest BIOS updates for your motherboard including fixes (if any) for problems reported after the product’s release.

Do you have an internal model hooked up as Master of the Secondary IDE channel alone on a high quality 80 wire cable?
3rd party software such as Nividia IDE drivers, Intel Application Accelerator, and the IDE section of the VIA chipset support pack can all cause problems. I say “can” because they can also fix problems.
If you have motherboard compatibility issues with an internal drive, firmware P9 is a good place to start. You can flash in Safe Mode. Have no disc in the drive.

Sorry let me clarify.

I have a retail internal Benq. It’s setup as a slave on the second IDE channel. Out of the box, and using Nero, 6.6.0.3, I kept getting session fixation error within the first two seconds. I upgraded my firmware to the latest version B7T9. Now it burns fine. But I have been having random hardware problems. I push the button to open the tray and get no response. Reboot. Working fine. At one point, the drive disappeared from my device manager. Another reboot was required. A little later windows xp froze during bootup. Today, during shutdown, I got another freeze. Manual shutoff required. Never had any of these problems until I installed this drive.

I am using the IDE cable that came with my Maxtor 60 GB HD. It looked the same as the one that comes with the BENQ retail box. (Edit: I just went in and switched the IDE cable to the one that came with the BENQ retail box)

Also, should I stick with my current firmware or go to P9?

Here are my scans. I am using Maxell 8x DVD+r. The ones at staples for $5. Maxell002

First, not sure if this is the 4x or 8x burn (I mixed up the 4x burn and 8x burn discs by accident), but here it is scanned at 4x and 8x.

4X

8X

Here’s one I burned today at 8x:

Here’s one that I scanned after using the creat disc option…someone on the foru mentioned doing this because of the problems at the end of the disc.

Here are my scans. I am using Maxell 8x DVD+r. The ones at staples for $5. Maxell002

Having trouble putting up my graphs so will give external links:

First, not sure if this is the 4x or 8x burn (I mixed up the 4x burn and 8x burn discs by accident), but here it is scanned at 4x and 8x.

4X scan:
http://www.freewebs.com/blackrain2005/Disc1.jpg

8X scan:
http://www.freewebs.com/blackrain2005/Disc2.jpg

Here’s another one I burned today at 8x.
http://www.freewebs.com/blackrain2005/Disc3.jpg

Here’s a burn from the option to create disc in nero cd/dvd speed.
http://www.freewebs.com/blackrain2005/Disc4.jpg

I don’t see them coming up in my previous post.

As a consumer, I am bothered by the fact that the product didn’t work straight out of the box and that after the firmware update, I am getting so many of these PI errors and failures. Does this mean that my drive is not reliable? Is my data safe or not?

If its a media problem, what is a good media that i can pick up at a retail store like Best Buy or Compusa. I want to make sure that my burner works an that I don’t have to exchange it.