Scanning MCC004

Hi, i am new here so sorry if i am asking a question already answered.

I just got a new batch of discs with MID MCC004. They are Verbatim DVD+R. I burned them the first time with 16x and i got bad results.
Then i burned at 8x to see if it makes a difference in the test. That test turned out great!
So to my question. I have a disc that i burned at 8x that has a high pi peak but it doesn’t realy show in the graph and for the whole scan it peaks at 10 and in the last 1 procent of the scan it peaks to 123. Can somebody tell me if this is a bug er something. I scanned it at 4x read speed. The second time again at 4x. The third time at 1x and the 4th time at 8x. The peak isn’t present in the 8x scan. I am a bit of a perfectionist so i don’t realy get the high peak. Thanks in advance for helping me.

• Moved post to a new thread * *

Ninja, it would help if you could upload a burn graph saved as a png from Nero CD/DVD Speed to let us see graphically how the burn scan looks. That said…

MCC004 will burn with different results at different speeds in different burners. MCC004 burned w/incredibly low error rates on a Liteon 1693s, perhaps the burner best suited to everything of a mid MCC. So what you need to also tell is the model/type of burner you have that you are testing with (e.g., BenQ 1640), as a BenQ has more or less the ‘accepted standard’ to scan at 8x under Nero, while a Liteon is more or less ‘accepted’ to best scan under 4x with KProbe2. Also, knowing the burner will help us generally tell you what speed to burn at. For example, I have a BenQ 1640 and never burn anything MCC 16x media @ more than 12x (BenQ’s write strategies never allowed for same good results at 16x as at 12x).

Also, if you have a BenQ burner, you can use QSuite 2.1, the FE/TE test to ‘test’ a blank media of an mid at a certain speed, and it will give you a graph, then tell you if it’s ok to burn at that speed.

In general, a peak to 123 at the end of a burn could mean many things: either the dye is thin at the end or the media was ‘protesting’ being written at that speed (since the burner’s write strategies wasn’t optimized to write it that fast with the same quality as the previous part of the scan). When you see a peak at the end, that will to some degree correspond with a FE/TE scan in a BenQ, where either/or the Focus Error (FE value) or TE (Tracking Error value) goes up quickly at the end of the blank disc test.

[quote=Quema34;1950082]Ninja, it would help if you could upload a burn graph saved as a png from Nero CD/DVD Speed to let us see graphically how the burn scan looks. That said…

MCC004 will burn with different results at different speeds in different burners. MCC004 burned w/incredibly low error rates on a Liteon 1693s, perhaps the burner best suited to everything of a mid MCC. So what you need to also tell is the model/type of burner you have that you are testing with (e.g., BenQ 1640), as a BenQ has more or less the ‘accepted standard’ to scan at 8x under Nero, while a Liteon is more or less ‘accepted’ to best scan under 4x with KProbe2. Also, knowing the burner will help us generally tell you what speed to burn at. For example, I have a BenQ 1640 and never burn anything MCC 16x media @ more than 12x (BenQ’s write strategies never allowed for same good results at 16x as at 12x).

Also, if you have a BenQ burner, you can use QSuite 2.1, the FE/TE test to ‘test’ a blank media of an mid at a certain speed, and it will give you a graph, then tell you if it’s ok to burn at that speed.

In general, a peak to 123 at the end of a burn could mean many things: either the dye is thin at the end or the media was ‘protesting’ being written at that speed (since the burner’s write strategies wasn’t optimized to write it that fast with the same quality as the previous part of the scan). When you see a peak at the end, that will to some degree correspond with a FE/TE scan in a BenQ, where either/or the Focus Error (FE value) or TE (Tracking Error value) goes up quickly at the end of the blank disc test.[/quote]
Hi, i got moved to a new topic called Scanning MCC004. My dvd writer is a Samsung SH-S182M and the firmware for that burner is SB05 and i added scans to my post.

Got a new scan from the burner i burned them with. This is on a different computer and i still got the high peak of 106. I don’t get why i can’t see the high peak anywhere in the graph. I had some old dvd’s that had 1 peak of 698 and i could see it very clearly. Very Strange. The movie i am testing is a copy of hackers 2.

Thanks in advance for helping me :bow:. I like dvdinfo but when i scan a disc twice it shows a lot of different results. When i scan with 16x i get realy bad results en when i scan at 8x i get realy good results. With my other burner it’s the other way around with 8x scanning has bad results and 4x scanning had great results. Burners are strange thins sometimes.

Edit: I can’t use Nero CD DVD Speed because it doesn’t support my burner. And K’s Probe is only for Liteon Burner i think. Sorry for the inconvenience.

New Scan With Other DVD Writer.zip (65.3 KB)

Unknown ninja, please upload your pics straight onto cdfreaks. It’s so easy, just attach the pic to your post when posting. That way it shows in the thread and I don’t have to dload, then unzip and then finally find the pic and open it on my pc lol.

Your PIE peaks may be because you are scanning @ max speed. The drive doesn’t spin up perfectly and you get a fake spike that’s barely visible right at the start of the disc. Nothing to worry about, it happens to my drives too, sometimes showing fake high PIF also.

1: Test at 4x with a high peak.
2: Test at 4x with a high peak.
3: Test at 1x with a even higher peak.
4: Test at 8x without a peak.
5: Test with other writer (Samsung SH-S182M) at 4x.

I scanned so many times because i wanted to know it it was a bug or something. The scans are great with or without the high peak so it realy doesn’t matter that much but i was curious what that peak was. I have burned 5 copy’s a few hours ago and they al had high peaks under 10. And the end score was 99,53 with dvdinfo.

My writer is the Samsung SH-W162C. I said earlier that it was the Samsung SH-S182M but i was wrong. Sorry for the inconvenience. And sorry if my english is bad. I am dutch.

Sorry for the scale. If you want me to make new tests just say the words.

Nah looks fine. Can’t see the peaks. Guessing it’s a glitch so that means they’re all nice burns :iagree:

[quote=cd pirate;1950818]Nah looks fine. Can’t see the peaks. Guessing it’s a glitch so that means they’re all nice burns :iagree:[/quote]I find it very strange that i can’t see the peak. Everything is at a very low Pi error and out of nowhere in the last percent it goes to a very high peak. I think my writer is haunted :wink: . The new question than is why i only have that high peak with that dvd? I tested more than 5 dvd’s this morning from my other writer and it had only scores of 99,53%. Can a glitch happen with just 1 dvd? Thanks in advance :bow:.

Yeah, some discs just don’t spin up properly. Btw, I suggest using cdspeed because the graph may be easier to see. You should scan the disc(s) with a peak in cdspeed and see if it actually shows up.

[quote=cd pirate;1951053]Yeah, some discs just don’t spin up properly. Btw, I suggest using cdspeed because the graph may be easier to see. You should scan the disc(s) with a peak in cdspeed and see if it actually shows up.[/quote] You missed a reply i made earlier. I said in that reply that i can’t use nero cd dvd speed or kprobe because it doesn’t support my burner. I have read about more people with my writers who have that. Realy strange.

Read that: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1160119-post.html

Thank you very much. It works great! Hail to the all wise CDFreak Forum users!:stuck_out_tongue:

And here is the scan people. Isn’t it fantastic. No high peak! Can someone tell me why my disc quality score is just 93%? I know its a good score but isn’t it a little low? I have searched through the forum and i have seen scans score 98% that had higher pi total and po total than me and higher peaks. Does the score indicate something or is it just for show and tell and not accurate?

Edit: I added a 8x scan of the same disc again and again no pi peak above 50. Weird that the quality score is 95%. The pi total is lower at 4x and the po total is higher.

Ignore the quality percentage - most of the experienced users here do.

[B]Long version:[/B]
The percentage score in CDSpeed is based only on these factors and nothing else:

• If the drive supports reporting POF, any POF>0 will result in QS=0%
  • If the drive reports PIF per 1 ECC block, the percentage is calculated from the maximum PIF value: 1=>98%, 2=>95%, 3=93%, 4=90%, …
  • If the drive reports PIF per n ECC blocks, the percentage is calculated from the maximum PIF value with a formula/table depending on “n”

Your scans are very good.

@ DrageMester:
Tnx for all the help. Your answer is very detailed and i get every aspect of it.

Tnx to everyone else for all the help!

I am going to scan with Nero CD DVD Speed now because DVDInfo has a glitch that is very strange. And i’ll stick with MCC004. I have the greatest scans with this media.

Tnx again for all the help! :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

No worries mate, and remember not to take scans so seriously in general. Even a scan three times as bad will most likely still play perfectly in a dvd player. It is a PC based DVD writer, which you shouldn’t always trust 100%. Some discs may scan worse but work better.

Anyways, good burn there it looks definitely like your writer does well with MCC004.

Hi, i just burned some new dvd’s and i got some strange ones. Is it oke to have these pif peaks/totals? Nothing to worry about? I am new to scanning and i can reburn all dvd’s so can anyone tell me what a bad score is that should be reburned? Like from what Pif peak or Pie peak? Thanks in advance for helping me again.

Edit: These are both different dvd’s. I have burned 20 dvd’s and 2 came out this way. Anything to panic about?

And i had another question. I am going to buy a new burner for my other pc. It’s mostly for scanning. Should i get the newest samsung or do you prefer another scanner/burner over that? The store near me has the newest nec and samsung only. I have to order all other brands. Thanks in advance.

The graph above is a good example of one the reasons why, despite being a strong advocate of TRTs and someone who takes scanning (as a method to assess media/burning quality) with a big (read: huge :bigsmile:) grain of salt, I won’t quit scanning anytime soon… :wink:

There is something wrong with this disc. Either there is a big smudge, fingerprint, anything similar, or the disc has a defective area.

You can most probably SEE the problem on the disc if you look closely under a strong, close, direct light. Either you’ll see something on the surface, or you’ll see a dark spot in the dye.

Personally, if the damage is permanent (i.e. cannot be eliminated with careful cleaning/dusting), and unless it’s for short-term use, I throw away such discs. Not because of an assumption that they could have reading issues right now, but because I have reasons to think that such problematic areas could have poor climatic stability.

About the newer Samsungs as scanners: far too forgiving IMO. :disagree:
My own 203B declares about anything as being great, even discs that stutter and freeze in my standalone players… :rolleyes: - on the other hand, it’s extremely consistent so it can be a useful scanner for given purposes like checking for stability.