Scanning Interval Locked @8ECC in CD-DVD Speed on 20A1H?

vbimport

I’m trying to get 1ECC scanning on my LiteOn LH-20A1H LL0A FB-EOS @4X CLV. It scanned at 1.22-1.23 ECC on the secondary master IDE channel. On the primary master, I get 1.21 ECC, which reports about 80% of the errors.

Right now, when I click on ‘Advanced’ on the Disc Quality tab in CD-DVD Speed 4.7.5.0, everything is grayed out except for Jitter (DVD). The Scanning Interval is locked at 8ECC, and the Test Length is locked at the extreme of accuracy.

I use CD-DVD Speed exclusively for LiteOn scanning, and I’ve heard of a registry hack that forces a 1ECC scanning interval on several drives.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]

“Scanning Interval”=dword:0000008 for 8ECC or =dword:0000001 for 1ECC

Does this work for LiteOn drives?

Well, it’s pretty much normal that LiteOns scan @ 1.2 ECC (in my experience).
The scanning interval may be locked because that’s a default value that has no real meaning though - I can’t think of another explanation.
(Ironically, BenQs pick up more samples and scan at 1.0 ECC if used at 4x CAV! I haven’t used BenQ’s 1ECC scanning yet though as Nero CD-DVD Speed has a bug so I can’t use the Advanced window when my BenQ is running externally.)

The Scanning Interval change was actually meant for NEC and maybe Pioneer drives, and I’m not sure whether it will make your LiteOn scan at 1.0 ECC.
(You may wish to try KProbe as you can set the ECC values freely there, but again, I’m not sure how it’s processed internally.)

Good luck!

No, LiteOn drives always scan at 1 ECC with Nero CD-DVD Speed.

The reason that the scanning interval is reported as >1.00 is that samples are dropped when the drive/interface/software can’t keep up, and the higher the scanning speed the more samples are dropped. If e.g. 1/4 of the samples are dropped this leaves 3/4 of the samples, and the reported scanning interval is then the inverse e.g. 4/3 = 1.33.

You can scan at other higher scanning intervals e.g. 8 ECC by using KProbe2, but there will still be dropped samples.

[I]Edit.[/I] Beaten once again, DrageMester just explained the same I was typing. :slight_smile:
In addition, see my “not so technical” explanation here.

[I]Slightly off topic.[/I]
Still, I’ve been asking this once before; are BenQ’s really able to scan at (almost) exactly 1.00 ECC, as most of my @4x CAV speed scans are. :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1749943]No, LiteOn drives always scan at 1 ECC [U][B]with Nero CD-DVD Speed[/B][/U][/QUOTE]

Does this mean that with KProbe the LITEON LH-20A1S does scan 8ECC for PIEs?

I noticed that for example in the cdfreaks SAMSUNG SH-S203B review a LITEON LH-20A1P had been used with KProbe, and that KProbe shows 8/1ECC for PIE/PIF scanning.

Is this just written there and false, or did the LITEON LH-20A1P really scan 8ECC for PIEs?

[quote=georgekellerman;1995606]Does this mean that with KProbe the LITEON LH-20A1S does scan 8ECC for PIEs?

I noticed that for example in the cdfreaks SAMSUNG SH-S203B review a LITEON LH-20A1P had been used with KProbe, and that KProbe shows 8/1ECC for PIE/PIF scanning.

Is this just written there and false, or did the LITEON LH-20A1P really scan 8ECC for PIEs?[/quote] LiteOn drives always scan at 1 ECC regardless of scanning program, but the scanning program will sum PIE values so that 8 1-ECC samples are lumped together thus resulting in the program presenting PIF per 1 ECC and presenting PIE per 8 ECC blocks.

In KProbe it’s possible to change this behaviour and sum the 1-ECC samples in a different way if you should choose to do so.

For drives that scan at 1 ECC, summing individual values per 1 ECC block into a value per “n” ECC blocks is a trivial task (but usually not user-selectable except in KProbe).

For drives that scan at 8 ECC, 16 ECC or some other number of ECC blocks higher than 1, it is impossible to know what the values are per 1 ECC block (although approximations are possible).

I see. Everything’s perfectly clear now.

BIG THANKS! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: