Scanning discs for errors

Are there some good threads already started that address the basics of scanning discs for errors? Just from browsing and searching forums, I only have a vague awareness of why and how this done. And I don’t have a clue as to how to read/decipher a good or a bad scan. I’d like to start scanning some of my burns to see how good/bad they are. Also, what are some good free programs to scan with (for both cds and dvds)? Some scanning programs that work with a wide variety of burners? (Since I’m finally getting my crappy Philips DVD±RW DVD 8631 burner in my Dell replaced with something else that Dell is shipping me in a few days…I have no idea what replacement brand they are sending.)

Here are some starting points:

Interpreting PI/PO error scans (for DVD media)

Interpreting C1/C2 error scans (for CD media)

Precision, accuracy, and reliability of disc quality (PI/PO/jitter) tests (for DVD media)

CD-DVD Speed Disc Quality (PI/PIF) Test

The Big KProbe2 Thread

Quality Scan vs Transfer Rate Test

And there’s lots more in our dedicated forums:

Media Testing/Identifying Software

Blank Media

Wow, thanks! All of this is very helpful, and that Media FAQ link was a great starter, too…For so long I burned discs “on the fly” (from the original disc straight to the blank disc). And after reading how temperamental these drives are and how errors can creep in, why do I have a feeling that was one of the worst ways I could have been burning discs? :doh:

I’m not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but it’s definitely related…I scanned my first disc, and of course I’m confused. From what I read so far since I don’t have a LiteOn drive (currently I have a lamentable Philips DVD±RW DVD 8631) I can’t use a lot of the recommended scanning programs. So for this disc I just used the Nero Cd-Dvd speed tool. The results are below. It says no C1 errors were found on the disc, which I know from what little I’ve read is not correct. Even on a great burn there are some C1 errors, right? Also, it took a long time to scan this audio disc–well over an hour. Are there faster, still reliable ways to scan discs?