Scanner buying questions

Hi all. Just a couple of questions on scanners.

What is the difference between optical and interpolated resolution?

Why does the vertical axis have twice the resolution of the horizontal axis? (e.g. the predominant formats seem to be 600X1200dpi and 1200X2400dpi)

Does anyone have a link which shows the difference between 600X1200 dpi resolution and 1200X2400 dpi resolution, preferably by having some pictures with the different resolutions posted?

I can’t answer all your questions, but here I go;

optical resolution is “true resolution”; it indicates the sensitivity and accuracy of the hardware used
interpolated resolution is “extended resolution”; software assumes which extra pixels could be in the picture by comparing scanned pixels. The hardware however, can’t “see” those pixels; software is only guessing.
So my advice is: go for the highest optical resolution.

You won’ t get reliable information about scanning quality when comparing some images on your pc; the real difference comes up when printing those images in a fairly large format.

Example:
Most internet pictures are very low res, for faster display of sites. But they still look “nice” on your PC’s monitor. However, when you save the images to disc and print them, the printed images look blury.

So I think it’s better to get what you need:
if you want to scan images mainly for high res printing purposes, you’ll need a high res optical scanner.
If you just want to add pictures on a site or other low-res purposes, a low budget scanner will do fine :slight_smile:

Exactly.

True optical resolution is what the hardware picks up. Interpolated in basically sticking extra pixels in between two REAL pixels picked up by the the hardware.

In addition, stay away from canon gear. It tends to be cheaper, but at the same time, so much dodgier.

I’d recommend either the epsons, of the HPs.

Personal pick HP4400/4470
1200x2400 dpi.

Hmm since I own a Scanjet 3400c from HP, I kinda lost my faith in them (many driver problems, has been broken 2 times in a year time). But if you want a HP, be sure to check Umax scanners. HP scanners are Umax scanners, and often Umax is 1. cheaper and 2. faster with drivers!

Epson scanners are quite nice, just like some Mustek models!

Well i own HP 3400C too, and i had no problem with it. And the latest drivers for winxp are ok. (and the previous one worked but you had to use winupdate too before you installing them).

Originally posted by panos
Well i own HP 3400C too, and i had no problem with it. And the latest drivers for winxp are ok. (and the previous one worked but you had to use winupdate too before you installing them).

I never tried it on XP, but 2k was a pain in euh well some bodyparts :wink:

So panos, be glad yours is functioning properly ;). Getting support from HP isn’t really easy… I had to spent about 2 hours on the phone to get the right person to help me! Every time I had to tell the story: what the problem was, what I did try to solve the problem etc etc… then I was told I should talk to this person, I got patched thrue too another person… about 8 times… grr :a

The one I’ve got now has been working fine for about a year, hope it remains :wink:

Well guys, I bought the “Mustek ScanExpress 1200 UB Plus 600x1200 dpi USB Flatbed Scanner”. I posted in another thread that I mainly wanted to use it to digitise my notes, after a rather unfortunate meeting between a jug of water and my washable, fountain pen inked notes.

Since I forgot to mention that I will be going through about a dozen or more 3-inch thick folders filled with A4 notes, I wanted to do it as fast as possible too.

Since the popular connection for scanners is the USB cable, if we compare a 600x1200 dpi scanner with a 1200x2400 dpi scanner, both with the same connection, the 600x1200 dpi scanner would be able to scan a fixed number of pages faster, right? (because it has less data to transmit)

Finally, a question about image-recognition software. Is it possible to get one that can convert scanned font into actual word-processable font, instead of an image? If that is the case, then as long as your scanner can resolve the letters to sufficient resolution for your image rec. software to make out, the end result would be the same for both a low/high res scanner, right?

Guys, I kinda need an answer soon, because I need to know whether to cancel/amend the order before it is dispatched.

Originally posted by Devils Advocate
[B]Well guys, I bought the “Mustek ScanExpress 1200 UB Plus 600x1200 dpi USB Flatbed Scanner”. I posted in another thread that I mainly wanted to use it to digitise my notes, after a rather unfortunate meeting between a jug of water and my washable, fountain pen inked notes.

Since I forgot to mention that I will be going through about a dozen or more 3-inch thick folders filled with A4 notes, I wanted to do it as fast as possible too.

Since the popular connection for scanners is the USB cable, if we compare a 600x1200 dpi scanner with a 1200x2400 dpi scanner, both with the same connection, the 600x1200 dpi scanner would be able to scan a fixed number of pages faster, right? (because it has less data to transmit)

Finally, a question about image-recognition software. Is it possible to get one that can convert scanned font into actual word-processable font, instead of an image? If that is the case, then as long as your scanner can resolve the letters to sufficient resolution for your image rec. software to make out, the end result would be the same for both a low/high res scanner, right?
[/B]

OCR (optical character recognition) software is avaliable, the quality of it however is much to be desired.

I have heard of some OCR programs reading handwriting BUT only printed, and very clearly printed, no running writing.

Besides, you will find that you will have to go over your scans anyways, as the OCR often makes mistakes and needs to be corrected as words and letters are left out or mistaken.

USB or scsi are the interfaces to get…dont bother with parralell.
i think you are up for a fairly large task of scanning, as you would of found out by now, each scan can take up to and above 20 minutes on the higher resolutions.

G/luck !

Thanks Huzzy. 20 mins? Geez man, I can re-write the notes in a shorter time T.T