Scan with external?

Can I use my external enclosure w/dvd drive for scans with cd/dvd speed? If so which burner should I put in it?

I would recommend Sony, Pioneer, or LG only cause I own these drives! Just look for the sales is what I always say!:D:D

I would recommend that you go with a late model LiteOn drive for doing scanning using your external enclosure; hopefully you have an enclosure that will afford you a decent burst rate.

If you have a BenQ 1640, 1650 or 1655 laying around, it will work nicley also.

I went to newegg.com & bought the most expensive one that they had, because I have read a lot of posts & people said not to buy a cheap one & I have never owned one, so I figured I’d better listen. I’m not rich, but I just sucked it up and bought the best one I could find. It is a macally. What kind of chip do they have? Will the Lite-on 20A4P scan in an external enclosure?

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1955008]I went to newegg.com & bought the most expensive one that they had, because I have read a lot of posts & people said not to buy a cheap one & I have never owned one, so I figured I’d better listen. I’m not rich, but I just sucked it up and bought the best one I could find. It is a macally. What kind of chip do they have? Will the Lite-on 20A4P scan in an external enclosure?[/QUOTE]

Yes that will do very good in that inclosure. What brand is the enclosure?Also that drive I have seen it around 40 bucks also. Hope you didn’t pay more for it. Check Walmart has it for 44 dollars regular price!

[QUOTE=THE C.;1955010]Yes that will do very good in that inclosure. What brand is the enclosure?Also that drive I have seen it around 40 bucks also. Hope you didn’t pay more for it. Check Walmart has it for 44 dollars regular price![/QUOTE]

No, I haven't bought my drive yet that's why I am trying to find out which drive works the best for external scanning. (& burning second)

Newegg usually has some nice prices on External LiteOn drives; these will perform great and you will not have to worry about the chipset in the enclosure since LiteOn has already matched the drive with the enclosure for optimal performance. You might want to reconsider your purchase and take a closer look at the LiteOn external drives themselves.

[QUOTE=The Kipper;1955017]Newegg usually has some nice prices on External LiteOn drives; these will perform great and you will not have to worry about the chipset in the enclosure since LiteOn has already matched the drive with the enclosure for optimal performance. You might want to reconsider your purchase and take a closer look at the LiteOn external drives themselves.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure why I went this route instead of getting an external drive, I guess I wanted the feeling of building it myself & making it work.  :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1955020]I’m not really sure why I went this route instead of getting an external drive, I guess I wanted the feeling of building it myself & making it work. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Buy an internal drive for your enclosure will save you money. I would if it is a good quality case. Use it instead of buying the whole thing over again. I have my LG in a Lite-On EZ-DUB enclosure cause the quality is ok, and it works like a champ! JMO :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I didn’t know lite-on sold their EZ-dub in an enclosure. Damn. well anyways while i am waiting on my 20A4P I will try benchmark & cd speed create data disk @ full speed to see what kind of speed this enclosure will give me.

BTW: I have an extra 112D laying around so i’ll try it for now. I also have a BENQ 1640 also I might try that too! :iagree:

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1955032]I didn’t know lite-on sold their EZ-dub in an enclosure. Damn. well anyways while i am waiting on my 20A4P I will try benchmark & cd speed create data disk @ full speed to see what kind of speed this enclosure will give me.

BTW: I have an extra 112D laying around so i’ll try it for now. I also have a BENQ 1640 also I might try that too! :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Man you got those just lying around? Your already set!! You have two darn good drives already!! Let us know how they work and maybe post some scans too! Good Luck

Sorry the LG is in my old Lite-On EZ-Dub enclosure, just clearing up my flobble!! :bigsmile:

Well this sucks Ihave only tried make datd disk @18x & it wouldn’t go over 6x. What else should I try. :Z

Is a benchmark accurate in real data transfer because it is not actually transferring the data just simulating, right, because my data transfer test went up to 12.36x w/a 27m/s burst rate

Codeking said something about if he booted his computer w/the enclosure on & it was registered in the bios then he would only get 12x speeds so he had to turn on his computer & then the enclosure. Well I tried this & only got 6x burn speeds. Then I tried restarting the computer w/the enclosure on so It would be registered in the bios & what do you know I am getting 18x burn speeds now!!! :iagree: