Saw this thread about buslink dvdburner on sale at COMPUSA....is it a LITEON BURNER?

saw this thread at the firmware forum page:
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=115267#115267

Anyone know if that buslink drive on sale at COMPUSA is a LITEON 812 or 851?

hey not sure if you got your answer but this link might help http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=MD-8XDVDRW-PM&Submit=Search&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdprs=&dvdprws=&dvdprsdl=&dvdrams=&buffer=Any&list=0&orderby=Name&Search=Search

I dunno if this relates to the topic or not…

but I once bought a Buslink DVD-ROM…and in the Windows Control Panel --> System Devices…it showed i am using Lite-On DVD_ROM…

That drive gave me more problems than any drive I’ve had.
I wouldnt get a BUSLink again.

I don’t understand why people like going to brick-and-mortar stores to play the rebate game and the uncertainty gamble when you can buy online, not mess with rebates, and know what you’re getting… here’s my reply in that thread…

I’d return it if I were you. $80 after rebates? shakes head That’s not a very good deal. You can get a brand new 812S for around $80 from newegg.com (free shipping, and if you’re outside CA/TN/NJ, no tax!)… and the best part is, there’s no rebate hassle.[/quote]

Don’t forget that there are some people that just prefer not to shop online. :wink:

That’s true. :slight_smile: I was very hesitant at first because I’ve heard all the horror stories of online shopping. But if you find a good retailer that works at keeping its reputation polished, then there won’t be any problems. Actually, about 30% of my brick-and-mortar rebates never show up, and so in some respect, brick-and-mortar shopping can turn out to be even more dangerous than online shopping.

And there are some of us who would like to keep our purchases underground so that the missus doesn’t know until after she’s using it and “can’t do without it”. :wink:

Hard to do with an online purchase, especially when she’s the one who gets the package when it arrives. :eek:

This is from the firmware forum about Buslink burner:

code65536 wrote: Quote: I’d return it if I were you. $80 after rebates? shakes head That’s not a very good deal. You can get a brand new 812S for around $80 from newegg.com (free shipping, and if you’re outside CA/TN/NJ, no tax!)… and the best part is, there’s no rebate hassle.

A response from Budz from the firmware page forum:

Thanks for the tip but here in sunny HONOLULU, HAWAII the shipping rates from online sites like newegg charge way too much. We are forced to pay 2ND DAY SHIPPING which actually takes 3 DAYS to be delivered. We have no other shipping options as the rest of the USA. It sucks that the rest of the 48 states can ship UPS or FED EXPRESS ground shipping. For some stupid reason they WILL NOT SHIP GROUND to HAWAII & ALASKA. But we can ship to the rest of the USA using ground shipping on UPS or FED EXPRESS. I’ve shipped back a dvd player using UPS ground. Yes, technically it has to fly by plane out of HAWAII. I just don’t understand why we can not use ground shipping. I guess that’s the price we pay for living in paradise! Therefore sometimes buying computer components from COMPUSA is cheaper for the people who live in HAWAII and ALASKA.

Interesting :wink: post from firmware forum.

Hehe. I’m from Kansas, so it’s easy for me to forget about those places far, far away. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OT, but I wouldn’t knock rebates - my sister and I picked up two Lite-Ons (an 811S and 851S) for $19 each after rebates. Oh yeah, the rebates were paid on time - both of us received them 53 days (7.6 weeks) after they were dropped in the mail.

Actually, about 30% of my brick-and-mortar rebates never show up
After reviewing the last six years of my rebate tracking info, I can tell you that after applying for over $5600 in rebates on computer stuff I got all of it back except for a $5 rebate that I didn’t follow up on. If you follow the basic rules of rebating you should easily get 99% of the rebates.

where at from kansas? i am in kansas.

< OFFTOPIC >Johnson County… Currently in CA for college, though… < /OFFTOPIC >

For some stupid reason they WILL NOT SHIP GROUND to HAWAII
looking at the geo map Why am I not surprised? ;-))

How’s Toto? :bigsmile:

looking at the geo map Why am I not surprised? ;-))

It’s a shame the shipping charges out of Hawaii can be ground shipped to the 48 mainland states But for them (Hawaii) to receive items, they’re only given 2 day air from the online retailers in the USA. As Budz said, “that’s the price they pay to live in paradise”.

a fellow rebater… cool. i have $300 out right now in rebates and just got $110 back yesterday that was from april (the other $40 from that run got here a week ago) the only miss i have ever had was on a zip drive… iomega gave me a carry case instead of $50 because they said that was what i asked for…

my total is $5200 paid so far since 98 (not counting the menards rebates that i only get to reuse at menards)

Same goes with me, although I purchase some times online also. But don’t forget when you buy from local store you have the chance to return it within specified time if you don’t like it or the device is deffective ,but this is not the case with online shopping it is really hasle to return the merchandise. Plus you have to pay for return shipping if everthing goes right.

So I’m not the only one out there with this problem! I feel your pain brother! :stuck_out_tongue:

newegg rocks for exchanges… i exchanged a 48161 after about a month because i thought i had a drive issue (it was actually a bad 100 pk spindle of cds) they were awesome to deal with and the drive was back fast.

cool. i have $300 out right now in rebates and just got $110 back yesterday that was from april
Yes, there’s nothing like the thrill of getting checks in the mail :smiley: