Saving Music

I want to burn my music onto DVDs so that they can be stored safely for a long time. I’m burning them from original CDs.

First, what kind of DVD should I use? DL can hold more music on a single disk but I hear that they have more production defects than SL. I have a spindle of SL DVDs from Verbatim I think I might just use those. The DL verbatims are kind of expensive.

And how much does the quality of the burner affect the quality of the burn? Is it so great that you can actually hear it?
I have an ASUS DRW-1608P2, it has some problems with reading someCDs for long periods of time (about 1 hour) because then it starts to kind of skip and jitter. And when you touch the burner it’s kind of warm too. But when I rip them they sound perfectly fine. Is it good enough for a quality burn that you can’t hear the difference between the original and the copy?

And last, is a lower burn speed always better? I don’t really care about the time it takes, just the quality. So is always burning at 2x good for quality?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest you to use single layer discs because as you said these have a lower probability to become messed in some way. Verbatim discs are among the best available, but if you want the very best maybe you can consider to purchase some Taiyo Yuden media.

If you want to store your original discs, I also suggest you to rip them with a not lossy codec, like FLAC or APE; in this way you can store a perfect copy of your originals.

Regarding burning speed, this is a rather debated theme. The old rule “the slower is better” was true for CD media and for first generation of DVD discs, but with hi speed certified media this is not true in most of cases.

It is a rather diffuse experience that burning a 16x certified speed at a speed lower than 8x give very bad results; very often burning a 16x media at 2x give a coaster.

The best burning speed is related to the combination burner/firmware/media. So it’s impossible to give an absolute answer to this question.

What burner do you have? What firmware (not always latest give better results)? What verbatim discs are you using exactly? Can you post here mediacode?

You can find all these informations with cd-dvd speed or with dvd identifier, both excellent free softwares.

Thanks.

I use the Asus DRW-1608P2. It has some problems reading [B]some[/B]pressed CDs for long periods of time then it kind of struggles to read with some skipping/pausing/jitter etc… But when I rip them onto the hard drive using WMP’s “mathematically lossless” format they sound perfect again without the distortions of the burner being used for an hour straight. according to the control panel it’s driver version 5.1.2535.0

The empty disks I have are Verbatim DVD+R MCC 004. They appearantly are made in Taiwan, not Japan. Minimum speed is 4x max is 16x.

Does background programs affect the burn process (eg. anti virus)? What method is good for making copies? Is just using Nero’s make “audio cd” good? Or ripping with WMP in their lossless format on to the hard drive first and then copy the files onto the DVDs?

Thanks.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m not an expert, but for what I know WMP codecs are not lossless: they are like mp3, aka remove some data from the original audio to make compression. I suggest you to use FLAC or APE to compress files.

These are good discs, and I suggest to burn them at 12x because in my experience (and many other people here have the same experience) at this speed give better results.

Theorically yes, mostly if you have only one HDD, because if the antivirus software use too intensively the HDD, this can create slowings during the burn, and create a lower quality burn.

I suggest to use Exact Audio Copy, a very good freeware ripper. And again I suggest to use FLAC or APE as codecs because these compress without remove any data.

When you need to restore a backup on a CD, then you can use burrrn to restore the FLAC into audioCD. Also burrrn is free :slight_smile:

I suggest this method because as you said you want to create a security backup of your originals, but if you was planning to burn more than one CD on a DVD to play these DVDs on a player, then I must say that this method will not works.

Yes, I was planning to burn many CDs onto a single DVD. A DVD is 4.5GB and a CD is like 700 MB so I can fit like 6 CDs onto 1 DVD.

What is the best method for that?

Are you planning to play these DVDs on a standalone or only for storage?

Play the DVDs. I haven’t thought about using them only for storage. Isn’t it good to play the copy and not touch the original pressed CD instead of breaking the original first then use the backup?

You can’t burn an audio CD on a DVD disc, because it will be not played in standalones.

These are different formats, incompatible. To make this you must create a completely different disc named “audio DVD”, that is different from audio CDs.

I don’t know exactly how to do this, but if I’m not wrong this require an elaboration of audio CD files that must be converted in a different format, and this can reduce quality of audio files.

Really? Yes, I meant the audio DVDs.

So what is the other format? If they are sound files on a dvd why can’t they be played?

audio DVDs are different from audio CDs; for what I know they are encoded differently.

I’m not able to suggest a software to do this conversion, sorry :frowning:

I thought that you want to create an archive of your audio CD to store files :doh:

Yes, can’t I just move the sound files (ripped from the CD) to the DVD and play it from there?

What did you mean by the archive of audio CD to store files?

Use Nero or equivalent to rip/transfer individual audio track on the CD to your HDD (extras\save tracks). I would recommend AIFF file (the gold standard for audio mastering) as the output file format. You can also use WAV file as the output, but I can still hear the degradation with WAV and a high-end audio rig. Now burn these AIFF files to your DVD using DVD-ROM ISO format. You can use MULTISESSION and leave the multisession open until the disc is full.

The CD tracks on the original CD are in red book format (*.CDA). You are creating a digital duplicate by ripping the tracks to AIFF files. Therefore, each AIFF file will have the same size as the CDA track on the original CD. You can convert the AIFF file back to audio CD format by launching Nero or equivalent and create an AUDIO CD. Now Drag n drop each AIFF file back to the burn screen. Finally, burn the disc.

Generally, the quality of the burn is highly dependent on the quality of the media and the burn speed. I only use high quality media for backup…Made in Japan Taiyo Yuden. Limit the burn speed to 24x MAX (I use 12x). Kmart has a sale on 50-pack Fuji CD-R Yuden media for $8 (2nd tub is FREE). Sale ends 9/30/06. You can also find Yuden DVD-Rs under the Sony name. Make sure you see MADE IN JAPAN on the tub. Avoid Made in Taiwan Sonys. Limit the burn speed of DVDs to about 8x (I use 4x).

Avoid DL DVDs at this time. They cost more $ and yield lower quality burns.

Yes, you can, but these discs, if I’m not wrong, can be played only on a computer. You can do a test with a rewritable disc to not waste media.

What I mean is to create an archive of FLAC or APE files that you can restore on a new CD when a disc become unreadable. These files can be played only on a PC, but can be converted again in audio CD very easily when necessary.

So I’ll see if I understood your process correctly.

Convert .CDA files from the CD to AIFF files onto the hard drive by ripping with Nero. Then use Nero to convert them back to .CDA files and burn them back onto the DVDs?

Is that a way to get good audio quality? It’s not lossy right?

And I tried multisession disks before but I don’t know how they work exactly. Sometimes (with different burners on different comptuers) the older sessions are lost, only the files from the last session are displayed when the disk is read. How does multisession work? Does it produce inferior sound quality?

Thanks.

Nero doesn’t seem to have the capability of ripping music into AIFF. I don’t see the button anywhere.

NeverMind, I only have the OEM version and not the player.

So what other program can rip music to AIFF?

I suggest to use exact audio copy; it’s the best ripper available (and also free)

I ripped them using the software but the properties says “wave sound” that is .wav and not AIFF right?

I have Nero 7 and it does support AIFF.

Which program can rip music to AIFF format?

Mine is OEM and it doesn’t have the Nero media player, just the burner.

It’s nero 6.6.0.14d by the way

I’m using Nero Ultra 7.5.1.1.

One of the options in NeroStartsmart is “Encode Audio Files” and that is what takes you to the proper screen/part of Nero that does the encoding. I can’t find a separate stand-alone Nero program (e.g. NeroVision, NeroExpress, etc.) so I think it might simply be locked in with the Ultra package.